how will i live without gum?

art cabana jojo

I am starting my very first whole 30 tomorrow.. i have wanted to do this since i read about it several months ago but kept looking for the perfect 30 day window between parties and events... figured the day after valentine's day until st. patrick's day seemed doable. I have been off work recovering my rotator cuff surgery and over the past 3 months have managed to put on ELEVEN pounds... i have tried to lose it,.... losing a few pounds over a couple weeks and then gaining them back after a weekend of festivities... then back to fasting and exercising and counting carbs... and i think my body just needs a reset... back to my roots of eating real food... mostly plants.. not too much!

I have been eating paleo for about 18 months so the no grains and legumes will not be an issue... i do eat dairy.. so giving up the splash of cream in my coffee will be interesting... i was going to say HARD but when i read the rules it clearly states that drinking my coffee black is. not. hard. i also adore my cheeses and yogurt and sour cream... life will go on...

My obstacles:

GUM... i chew gum all day long.. well not all the time.. i put a piece in... chew for 5 minutes or so... spit it out... and then about 15-30 minutes later i put in another piece... chew for 5 or so minutes and repeat... ALL DAY LONG... like a chain smoker only gum... so this will be quite a challenge for me to not chew gum for 30 days... because of the xylitol and other added BS... acesfulme K... can't be good for me. not sure how i will deal with making sure i have fresh breath... i have a fear that i will have bad breath i guess... maybe i will just take my toothbrush every where i go and brush often... gargle??? i will figure something out.

WINE AND ALCOHOL.... i have a glass of wine daily sometimes 2 ... there is something to "drink" at every social get together... and my friends seem to be really vested in what i is in my glass... i have opted for sparkly water on a few occasions and been called out on it... "youre not drinking??" "what crazy diet are you on now?" "one glass isn't going to kill you" ... "come on lighten up" .. you would have thought that peer pressure would have been left in jr high... but here it still rears it's ugly head... crazy. SO.. not exactly sure how i will handle this one... a few years ago i couldn't drink for few weeks because i got e-coli and was on an anti biotic that when you consume alcohol with it it cause violent vomiting... that info was enough to deter even the slightest sip of wine.. so i am toying with the idea of just LYING... and saying that i am on an anti-biotic and can't drink.. just so i don't have to explain and listen to the arguments for or against my way of eating.... the truth can just be too much to handle.

OK.. those are my two biggest obstacles that i am aware of right now... i am sure that more will arise and i will look to you all for guidance and advice on how to deal with them as i journey through this month... maybe i will get find better health... better mental clarity... and hopefully a set of balls to deal with peer pressure in my social settings.

I, too, gave up chewing gum after my first W30 - I have a bottle of mouthwash in my briefcase that I use during the work day (makes it heavier but it's worth it!). I did have a piece of gum once a week or so ago and it gave me a headache within a couple of minutes.

The wine isn't as easy. I bought a Soda Stream and use it to make sparkling water at home. That doesn't help you when you're out in a social gathering (unless you bring a small bottle of cranberry juice along and add a few drops into your water glass)....might just pass for a glass of red wine.

Giving up the gum should be easy, your friends, not so much ;)

No, seriously you need to own this. If not, it's not going to work. I don't think lying is ever really a good option. O.k. off my soapbox. But I will share a story with you.

I'm a pretty good drinker (read; regular, pre W30 of course). My wife doesn't drink at all. Hasn't in years. I'm o.k. with that. She doesn't get on me, knows how to enjoy herself without it and is the permanent Designated Driver. We have had some friends that didn't like haging out with us because my wife doesn't drink. That's their hang-up and frankly their loss. Point is, we cant control what others do or think especially when it comes to drinking. Revaluate, decide what's important to you and move forward. Afterall, it's your life, not theirs.

Full disclaimer: I absolutely despise gum.

However, watch someone chew gum. Really watch them. Suddenly, you'll be reminded of a cow chewing cud. Then other things about them will start to annoy you. Suddenly, you'll never feel the need to chew gum again.

Hilarious and so true. I never chew gum. Never have. Don't care for it. I admit I don't hang with any gum chewers. I wonder if when I picked my friends, that was part of a subliminal criteria. :)

I, too, am a chain chewer. I would buy the seriously huge boxes of gumballs on amazon, fill up a jar on my desk, and chew, spit it out, chew another, spit it out, until my trash can was full of chewed gum. (Gross, I know.)

I'm on Day 10 of my whole30, and to be honest, I haven't even thought about the gum. it's very weird. I suspect i'll never go back, knowing how sugar affects my system. honestly, if im going to have sugar after my whole30, i want it to count. not just be chewed and spat out after a minute.

but good luck! tell us how it goes!

Archived