Does anyone recall what ISWF says about intestinal mucous?

Moluv

I would love to get super graphic on this if there was a whole section of the forum devoted to "poop talk" but since there isn't, I won't. You're welcome.

I read in ISWF (I think, it has since gone back to the library) that once you stop eating all of the potentially irritating foods your intestines will shed a mucous lining which had been there as protection. This really makes sense to me and I felt this was the cause for my sudden change in regularity. I tried natural calm and would have soft stools- but they still couldn't pass- so weird. The only thing that works is a warm water enema and when I do this I'm passing mucous. I assume this is normal and healthy and welcome it. I'm just curious if anyone can give me a little more sciencey explanation, or what to expect, or share their own experience.

I hope this post doesn't make me a pariah on the forum, I know it's gross!

There have been worse/more descriptive posts on this forum about this topic. No worries :)

I can't really help you with the science, but what day are you on? Are you eating plenty of fat and leafy greens? It can take a couple of weeks for things to work themselves out, but fat will help "slick the road," if you will, and we all know that fiber's good stuff for regularity. If you're slacking on one of those two things, bump it up and give it a week or so.

I believe that enemas can disrupt your natural rhythm and the environment, so your short term relief may actually be prolonging your body's adaptation.

• Moderators

What Renee said...

I don't remember it in the book, but Melissa Hartwig explained on the forum somewhere why a person may suffer more eating some foods after a Whole30 than they did before. When we eat irritating foods regularly, our bodies develop a thicker mucosa lining in the gut for protection. When we stop eating those foods for 30 days, the thickness sloughs off and our gut lining goes back to normal. Then when we eat irritating foods again, there is less protection and we may feel pain in our guts that we did not notice before. If we keep eating the irritating foods, our mucosa lining will thicken again and symptoms may become moderate again.

I don't think this process has much influence on bowel movements, but I do think that adjusting to a change in diet takes time. There is no perfect diet that allows us to skip from bad to good without "adjustments."

Thanks Tom- I definitely don't plan on reintroducing irritating foods again- I already did that whole back and forth for the last year and a half. I feel terrific and feel as though once this "thicker mucosa lining" has passed out of my body that the enemas will be entirely unnecessary. Doesn't it stand to reason that this thick mucous would be more difficult to pass than just poop? I think so! I am into various other holistic medical therapies and I suppose in my circle, colonic irrigation is nothing bad, especially during times of cleansing.

Renee- I'm at day 7 of my second start (19 days the first time but restarted after getting a headache after eating restaurant food- not sure what it was though I ordered a compliant meal) so really 26 days total. I had been very regular for a long time until about 10 days in. Then I did natural calm for about a week and that just made me queasy and had very thin ribbon like poops- I knew something was "stuck" and sure enough when I did the colonic irrigation at home- mucous and lots of it followed by feeling great. The microflora reside further up in the intestines so I'm not worried about that plus I eat/drink a steady supply of ferments and have for a long time. I do eat loads of veggies and good fats and no nuts, coconut or coffee (all of which I find disruptive). As well as cutting out onions, garlic and eating some leafy greans (like kale) only in fermented state as I had too much burping with those.

I'm not feeling impatient in any way about the changes I'm experiencing, nor am I worried about my home colonics

It's probably not mucous, it's probably bubbles of fat. This either means you're eating too much fat, or more likely (especially if you're following the meal template), that you're having a fat absorption issue. ox bile, digestive enzymes, or anything like that will help. (or just cut back on the added fats a smidgen.)

Hmm that's interesting- I could certainly try. The only other time I've seen this though is about 10 years ago I did a month long fast progressing from raw food to juice to only water and was doing the enemas then as part of the fast- exact same "mucous" looking strands (and really they are more strandlike than globlike, glob just sounds better) and I wasn't eating ANY FAT then.

So if you're expelling a thick mucous lining where does it go? Is it just mixed in with poop like normal?

Also, I am eating the same types and quantities of fats (I think) as before whole 30- the only difference is no rice and no honey and stuff like that- otherwise I was eating lots of meat+veg+fat before.

I have been reading a lot about undigested fat and from what I gather...when you are not absorbing fat your poop is light in color and foul smelling, also it floats apparently! I read an article on this website about digestive enzymes written by a naturopath but since I am slow I don't know how to link it. Maybe it could help you determine what you are seeing as he encourages everyone to look at their poop. I'm giggling to my self from this thread!

I have been reading a lot about undigested fat and from what I gather...when you are not absorbing fat your poop is light in color and foul smelling, also it floats apparently!

Thanks for the info- that is definitely not what I am seeing though. I definitely look at my poop, sometimes even with a long stick- which is how I found those long mucous strands in the first place! Maybe other people pass mucous strands but they don't know it because they just leave well enough alone and just flush like a normal person.

I did some more googling since earlier and am going to try a cold brewed marshmallow root tea- it's slippery and soothes intestinal inflammation. Another thing I learned is that avoiding fibrous veggies could help give my system a little rest while I'm adjusting to this dietary change. Common wisdom says more fiber- but, alas, there is something called The Fiber Myth! Who knew?!?!

And Fenderbender, I can design the album cover!

Archived