What Whole30 compliant oil is more or less tasteless?

TerriCRW

I am preparing to start my first Whole30. I prepare my own "oil and vinegar" salad dressing using canola oil, vinegar and seasonings. I like canola because it just adds an oiliness but not a flavor of its own, which lets the spices stand out. I do not like the taste of olive oil. I haven't tried other oils like sunflower oil and hesitate to buy a whole bottle and have to throw it away.

Is canola oil prohibited during the Whole30? If so are any of the "allowed" oils more bland than olive oil? I'd enjoy hearing others' opinions.

• Moderators

The Whole30 guidelines do not limit you as to which oils you consume, so you can do a Whole30 while eating canola oil. You can, but that does not make canola good oil. Canola oils tend to be highly processed and don't make it to the preferred list of any Paleo oriented expert. Some of the negative things you can read on the internet about canola oil are probably false, but it just doesn't measure up.

There is an amazing variety of taste available in the world of good olive oils. I buy olive oil from a specialty store and am amazed at the range. You can get extremely mild and extremely sharp/bitter and everything in between.

I prefer olive oil for salads, but you could use macadamia nut oil or avocado oil. The Whole9 recommends that all seed oils be consumed in moderation because most of them deliver a relatively high amount of omega6 fats when what we usually need in our diet is less omega6s.

The Whole30 guidelines do not limit you as to which oils you consume.

Just to be clear, I am assuming that doesn't include soybean or corn oil? Since those two come from noncompliant ingredients, they are noncompliant, right? Not relevant to OP; I just wanted to ask.

• Moderators

You should not eat canola oil, but if you do, you are not violating Whole30 guidelines. The book - It Starts with Food - explains why seed oils like canola oil make you less healthy, but the Whole30 guidelines are kept purposefully brief and do not specify which oils you can and cannot eat during a Whole30. That means you can eat seed oils, but that does not mean you should.

Corn and soybean oils are out because they involve corn and soy.

Tanya, industrial seed oils like canola, etc are SO pervasive in the food industry that if M&D forbade them from the W30, you would be forced to live in a bubble of home-food prep...which isn't a BAD thing; it's just a) hard, B) creates way too much stress and anxiety for people on a program that's about changing all that and c) raises the barrier for entry/"buy in" a LOT, and we'd lose a lot of participants.

They aren't ideal, and should definitely be limited/avoided, but they aren't out.

Archived