Post-Whole30 "SWYPO" recipe

melody

I finished my first whole 30 in January and will probably try another one at some point. In the meantime, I've been trying to eat mostly compliant.

My question is: Are recipes that are consider SWYPO banned for reasons other than the food-with-no-breaks/psychological reasons? Are they banned just for fear that after a Whole30 you'll revert to their non-SWYPO versions or are they banned for other reasons?

I've never been a big bread fan (so not a SWYPO from that perspective), but I do enjoy a sandwich from time to time. I need to stay GF, but wonder how off plan the recipe below is for someone already FINISHED a Whole30, especially if I omitted the honey?

I'm thinking it's a better option than some of the other GF breads I've seen filled with all sorts of unpronounceable ingredients, but how much better?

The deal is...it is up to you now. There are no real rules because what is okay for me may spell disaster for you.

Personally, I rarely off road, but when I do it's for the real thing. I don't like the paleoized stuff enough to bother. Also, I have very few bad reactions to the real thing. I just prefer to eat things that make me more healthy almost all of the time. You may have big reactions to the real thing so paleoized may be the way to go for you.

It's the best tasting GF bread I've had. I hadn't been able to tolerate gluten for awhile now, so wheat bread doesn't work for me when "off-roading." Just wondering if including it in my post-30 diet can be a regular thing, or should be a limited thing.

I guess your point is that it really depends on the person & their reactions to the food, whatever said off-road food is?

First things first, I'm gonna move this one over to the Off Track/On Track section since it's more relevant to Life After.

Secondly, the prohibition on those foods doesn't extend past the 30 days, which is one of the beautiful things about W30 (like Susan said). No one's gonna judge you for your almond flour bread (except maybe you). However, we don't love many of these recipes for the reasons you mentioned above. Also, many of these encourage us to eat meals or snacks that don't fit the template we like (meat, veggies, fat). So, ultimately, it's up to you to discover how these fit into your every day life.

Congratulations on rocking your 30!!

• Moderators

My question is: Are recipes that are consider SWYPO banned for reasons other than the food-with-no-breaks/psychological reasons? Are they banned just for fear that after a Whole30 you'll revert to their non-SWYPO versions or are they banned for other reasons?

Almond Flour Bread

1 1/2 cups almond flour

1/2 teaspoon sea salt

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1/3 cup olive oil or coconut oil

3 large eggs

1 tablespoon honey

Oil to grease the pan

I love your question. Paleo breads and desserts are banned during a Whole30 for psychological reasons, but Paleo breads and desserts never make meaningful contributions to improving our health. At best, they don't damage our health. Great food nourishes our bodies with important nutrients, vitamins, minerals, amino acids, etc. Foods like salmon, liver, lamb chops, ground beef, eggs, kale, chard, collards, broccoli, cauliflower, beets, sweet potatoes, turnips, etc. Yes, the Paleo bread recipe includes eggs, but it is not an egg dish, it is mostly about almonds. Almonds are not bad for you in moderation, but they do not improve health like kale and broccoli do.

As I approach 3 years of eating the Whole30 way, I am more mindful of the importance of getting into my weekly diet everything my body needs. I have known for a long time that I needed to eat beef liver regularly for nutrition that is not very available many other places, but I often failed to get around to liver except every five or six weeks. A few weeks ago, I decided to eat liver every Friday and, so far, it is going well. Every Friday works better for me than "every week" because there is a deadline. I want to eat oily fish often enough that I do not need to supplement with fish oil. That idea did not work very well until I decided that I would eat salmon, tuna, or sardines every other day. Now I am getting a good amount of fish in my diet. I am in love with dark leafy greens. They are nutritional superstars, so I want to wilt and eat a big bunch of kale or chard or boy choy every day. That basically dictates the design of at least one meal per day. Oh, and eggs. The nutrition in egg yolks is so important, I want to eat 3 or 4 eggs per day. That takes care of a meal. As you can see, to eat all the different things I want to eat and that I know are important to my health, I don't have room for many things that are unimportant to my health. And that is okay with me. I cook really tasty food and enjoy a lot of variety with regards to meats and veggies. I look at a recipe for Paleo bread and go, "Eh."

Archived