Kombucha

tclass

I am OBSESSED with Kombucha. As a non-drinker, it is my go-to fancy beverage :)

Just curious... it starts with sugar... so is it technically Whole30 approved? Thanks!

I asked the same question about the sugar content when I started my W30 and a MOD said that since the sugar is basically consumed as part of the fermentation process, then it's compliant, which made me do a happy dance because I love Kombucha and have been drinking (now making) it for the past few years since my hippie daughter introduced me.

If you're interested in making some yourself, it's pretty easy, the hardest part is getting ahold of a SCOBY. I got mine dehydrated from Cultures for Health. It takes about 30 days to rehydrate the little guy but it'll last for many, many batches and will reproduce so you can spread the love and give SCOBY's to all your friends. And...making it yourself costs pennies on the dollar compared to the $3.00 or more/bottle you'll pay at Whole Foods, et al.

On a side note, what attracted me to this topic was your user name, "Swedish Fish" which as it happens were one of my favorite drugs of choice before W30. I still miss the little buggers occasionally, but not how they made me feel.

Has anyone made the black currant flavor of kombucha? This is GT's Synergy flavor called "Black Chia" because it has chia seeds in it.

I just want to know how to make that flavor, if anyone has any tips.

Thanks! :)

You can also purchase a SCOBY from etsy.com, ebay, and Amazon. And they come in starter liquid so you don't need to rehydrate them.

Xandra--I am in the middle of making a blueberry kombucha. I took my batch that fermented for a week and added in about 12 ounces of frozen blueberries. I will let them ferment for another day or too and then see how the flavored kombucha is. I will post pictures and a write up when I am finished. My site is www.expatpaleo.com. Hope to have a write up for it next week.

I just purchased a continuous brewer from http://www.kombuchakamp.com/ As much as I love kombucha, I tried making my own in jars and it was too time consuming for me and my lifestyle. I've heard great reviews about this continuous brewer so I am hoping this will help with my love for kombucha. They sell SCOBYs as well that is why I shared the link. They talk about giving positive energy to your SCOBY so kinda hippie-ish but the site is highly recommended and reviewed.

Just a little added info for new to Kombucha people. Not all Kombuchas are okay. Made with sugar but not sugar added after fermentation is what you want. I think the formula is 2-4% is okay. A lot of them have 11%. I had to search to find the approved one.

I just purchased a continuous brewer from http://www.kombuchakamp.com/ As much as I love kombucha, I tried making my own in jars and it was too time consuming for me and my lifestyle. I've heard great reviews about this continuous brewer so I am hoping this will help with my love for kombucha. They sell SCOBYs as well that is why I shared the link. They talk about giving positive energy to your SCOBY so kinda hippie-ish but the site is highly recommended and reviewed.

Come back and let us know how you like the system.

I was able to buy a SCOBY at my local food cooperative (they actually had two different ones to choose from!). Also, you can make your own SCOBY if you buy plain Kombucha.

I'm brewing two batches right now. I also am obsessed with Kombucha and it is an expensive obsession!

I was able to buy a SCOBY at my local food cooperative (they actually had two different ones to choose from!). Also, you can make your own SCOBY if you buy plain Kombucha.

I'm brewing two batches right now. I also am obsessed with Kombucha and it is an expensive obsession!

Depending on where you may be (because of local laws that forced some manufacturers to change something in their formulas), not all storebought Kombuchas are good for making your own scoby. Also, it's expensive when you buy it made, only pennies when you make your own!

I just purchased a continuous brewer from http://www.kombuchakamp.com/

This place sells the same crocks for way less in case anyone else is looking. However, KK's heating system is supposed to be great for those of us in cooler climates. I have one on order I can't wait to have!

www.getkombucha.com is another great site. you can sign up for a free tutorial where Dave explains pretty much every aspect of K.

• 2 weeks later...

Day 4 of fermentation! 3 more days until I can look at it and taste it. I got the SCOBYs 4 days before the vessel arrived and in those 4 days they spent in the "SCOBY hotel" a new SCOBY was already forming by the time I made the first batch. Im super excited for some reason but my husband does not get it lol thought i would share!

Need some advice from my fellow Kombuchanistas...at what temperature do you start to seeing some progress i.e. SCOBY's making baby SCOBY's? I've had my re-hydrated, Cultures for Health SCOBY in my pantry closet for over a month and it just seems to be sitting there...and we're in California! Not exactly sure what the ambient temperature is but it's definitely 68+ degrees in that closet and higher.

Ideal temp is between 70-80 degrees. There should always be some kind of scoby growth.... you will get a gelatinous blob in a bottle of kombucha after a few days.... that's an immature scoby. If you have a large scoby already, the growth comes in layers and once it's thick enough you can actually peel a layer off, that's a new scoby.

You say you've had them in your closet.... did you actually brew kombucha with them or just leave it there?

Just got my brew kit and heating strip today in the mail. So excited. I didn't buy the continuous brew crock because I bought a cool looking green glass container with a stainless spigot. Hopefully it will work for a continuous brew. Kombucha camp has also been sending me daily emails with tips and info.

I am drinking my first batch. I bought my scoby local and what I did was just put warm bottles of water in the box where they were sitting (temp is only an issue in the winter here) when I remembered to increase the temp. I wasn't very consistent with it either so I just let it ferment longer than suggested. I brewed them in a cabinet in my kitchen.

My first batch is AWESOME !!!

I did the double fermentation and put blueberry juice, lemon and ginger in some of the bottles, just blueberry juice in some and several I left plain. I fermented for 18 days and then 5 more days at room temp for the juice portion and they are perfect and even have fizz. So easy and so cheap and I have a baby scoby so have two batches going currently now!!

I didn't have luck with a different scoby I bought that came in the mail. The local one was huge and awesome and produced the baby scoby quickly (within a week) across the top.

Oh, I did get a mouthful of scoby from one of my bottles (I did the second fermentation in old GT Kombucha bottles). It isn't harmful but it was gross. So now I am pouring my Kombucha from those bottles through a strainer first to drink :)

• 3 weeks later...

My first batch is delicious!!! It actually took about 12 days for it to be where I like it since my house is usually very cold. I love just being able to pour it in my glass. I havent experimented with flavors yet, I need to acquire mason jars or glass bottles.

I have FINALLY gotten the set up I want! Got my continuous brew system ready to be started tonight! Bought the lead free crock and stand from Walmart for under $40!!! Then got a year-round cold weather heating strip from Kombucha Kamp along with her tea blend and some flavorings. I've got scobies coming outta everywhere! Had 3 big jars I was brewing in and then have 2 hotels... scobies must be happy as they've grown and are just layer upon layer. SOOOO excited to get it all going so I can keep up with demand around my house and finally get to enjoy more for myself! Oh and am dying to try to make my own version of GT's Grape & Chia seed one.... that is awesome!

Archived