Sugar. What's the best?

CharlotteT

• 2 weeks later...

I don't get how they've classified them into paleo and non paleo. But I use coconut sugar if I really have to use sugar for some reason, I have diabetes and I've found that it has very little effect on my blood sugar levels (in small amounts, i.e. 1 tsp), whereas any other type of sugar (not artificial sweeteners or xylitol/stevia) has a big impact. I didn't know it had lots of fructose in it, does anyone know if this is actually correct?

I don't get it either. My body sees sugar as sugar as sugar. If after W30, I decide to make a fabulous dessert, if it calls for sugar, that is what I use. If it calls for raw honey, I use that. If it calls for stevia, I walk away.

You walk away from stevia Susan? Why is that?

I'm asking because after my first Whole30 one of the first things I reintroduced was hot cocoa at the end of the day, made with 1 tsp cocoa powder, a little stevia, hot water and a couple of tbsp coconut milk/cream. After about a week (with the occasional other off-roading like a teeny bit of cheese etc) I felt the old heavy fatigue setting in again, like I was wearing a suit of lead. Unfortunately I never did a proper reintroduction, but I've wondered if it was the stevia because a lot of my health problems started around the time I discovered stevia, about 3 years ago.... but it's hard to find any info on stevia side effects or reactions.

Zoodles, I used to use it in my iced coffee. To me it's just another fake sugar and it has a bad after taste. So...I just trained myself last summer to enjoy my iced coffee with no sweetener. I found a few negative things about it. I'll see if I can find them and I'll come back and link them here.

Personally, if I need a sweetener, I use raw honey. Mostly because we kept our own bees and still have gallons of the stuff, but I figure it's local, if cared for correctly, it's sustainable and because it's raw, there are actually a few nutrients to it (unlike stripped, processed stuff). It also has a wonderful subtle taste to it that is really nice.

From my body's perspective, all natural sweeteners seem the same (reaction, cravings, psychological, etc).

Once I'm off W30 (which is now in its 45th day!), I'll eventually return to Lakanto. It's a combination of Luo Han Guo and Erithrytol. Pricey, but it seems to have appreciably less effect on my blood sugar (I'm T2 diabetic) than regular sugar. And the only *sweet* I really miss is in my coffee, so a 800 gram package consumed at 2-4 teaspoons a day, should last awhile. I have some in my desk at work, leftover from before W30 and awaiting my return.

I'm curious, though, how I'd do with raw, local honey. I may try that before I reintroduce the Lakanto.

Archived