Fish Sauce Substitution?

Margret McDermott

I planning on making NomNomPaleo's Asian Cauliflower Fried Rice TONIGHT but I don't have a Whole30 approved fish sauce. I looked at Whole Foods, but of course they don't have the "famous" Red Boat sauce.

I have a couple cans of anchovies and was thinking of making a faux-fish-sauce of my own. Any ideas for a quick recipe? Maybe just buzz some anchovies and lemon juice in the mini-chopper? (I can't have vinegar)

You're so right about the fermentation process, but the anchovies did add a subtle layer of umami flavor that was good. It wasn't "legit" but it was very tasty.

I did make homemade raw fermented sauerkraut, but as a half German, this didn't feel like such a stretch. Fish sauce, I'll leave to people who know what they're doing.

Funny, the young American/Vietnamese woman who owns the nail salon I go to is a fantastic cook and makes her own fish sauce, which she says is "the best." I'll have to have a chat with her...

Or maybe ante up and buy some Red Boat. ;)

I did enjoy reading the blog page about making your own. Thanks Nadia B.

You're so right about the fermentation process, but the anchovies did add a subtle layer of umami flavor that was good. It wasn't "legit" but it was very tasty.

I did make homemade raw fermented sauerkraut, but as a half German, this didn't feel like such a stretch. Fish sauce, I'll leave to people who know what they're doing.

I did that sub too before finding a compliant one, still works you are right. I linked the article because 1) it's fascinating how much efforts people are willing to put into experimenting 2) there might be people desperately craving fish sauce :D

Hope your nail lady becomes your fish sauce dealer. Ha

Archived