Going on a Costco run, suggestions on what to stock up on?

Nyx

Morning everyone!

Headed to Costco tonight to grab some supplies for the house and while I'm there I was hoping to save some money by stocking on some compliant pantry and fridge items. This will be my first trip over there since, well, before I switched over to mainly eating paleo and definitely since I started my wh30. So, I was hoping that by starting this topic all of you could help me save some time wondering around Costco's massive warehouse reading the labels on everything -not that I have a problem doing that it's just been a long week and I want to get home sooner rather than later.

Please throw out suggestions for your favorite brands/items that you stock up on when you go!

And apologies if this is in the wrong thread I was debating posting here or in the recipe sharing thread.

I buy my coconut oil there, definately good price per ounce. I also stock up on their organic ground beef, mine also has organic chicken at a great price per pound. I buy Aidells chicken apple sausage, eggs and canned tuna & salmon there. If you eat nuts, the plain almonds are a great buy. Mine also has big bags of baby kale. I've heard some stock kerrygold butter which you could then turn into ghee, but mine doesn't. Other than that I stock up on veggies like brussels sprouts, baby spinach and asparagus.

Thanks Krista! I am going almost all the things you suggested.

I'm excited to see if mine carries coconut oil too. Whole Foods is slowly draining my wallet at the rate I'm buying coco oil from them. I've yet to find Kerry gold butter anywhere, including my WF, so I'm doubtful my Costco would have it, but who knows! Hopefully, they will have my current pastured butter brand Organic Valley.

I love their organic chicken and their avocados. The skins feel tough, but they are beautiful on the inside. (Could that be a metaphor?) I was looking at a thread the other day about compliant tuna and read that some Costcos have a really nice one called Wild Planet (or something) that is a much better bargain at Costco. I have also purchased cod there since I was a little kid. I sure wish ours was closer!

Is Kerry Gold compliant? I found it in the cheese section of my regular grocery store, but it is not organic. :(

A beautiful metaphor, Nico! Avocados have now been added to the list! I've been avoiding them since their price shot back up after the Super Bowl. I love mashing avocado with some lemon juice and salt and then mixing in some tuna.... My lunches for next week are looking up.

I second the Wild Planet Tuna. So much better than most and a great price. I also buy their extra light tasting olive oil to make mayo, flank steak, tri tip roasts and their organic eggs that come in a two dozen pack. They are from certified humanely raised chickens so that is a big deal to me.

I second the Wild Planet Tuna. So much better than most and a great price. I also but their extra light tasting olive oil to make mayo, flank steak, tri tip roasts and their organic eggs that come in a two dozen pack. They are from certified humanely raised chickens so that is a big deal to me.

Do you get find Wild Planet tuna at Costco? Which one?? The one we go to doesn't carry it and I would LOVE to buy this in 'bulk' instead of at New Seasons.

In addition to all the other items already mentioned, we also buy some things from the frozen section:

big bags of organic mixed berries

wild caught salmon fillets

big bags of frozen veggie mixes (my favorite is the Kirkland stir-fry one but you'll have to pick out the baby corn)

frozen chicken wings

Thanks everyone for sharing what you buy at Costco! It certainly made it a much speedier trip than it would've been.

I wasn't able to find Kerry Gold butter or coconut milk but pretty much everything else was there. I ended up getting:

Kirkland organic ground beef

Organic whole chickens (2 pack)

Organic whole chicken thighs

Austrailian lamb shanks

Wild planet tuna (7 or 8 pack)

Wild canned salmon

Uncooked frozen shrimp

Huge tub of coconut oil

Organic green beans, lettuce and broccoli rabe

Avocados (bag of 5 for $5)

Organic tomato paste

Drieds dates and dried figs (my husband snuck this in!)

Organic 24ct eggs

The whole bill came to $230 which is pretty great considering many of these items will be pantry stables that will tide us over for a month.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for this great thread! It inspired me to borrow my sister's card and check it out. Up until this point I have been a Sam's shopper and was grateful they had organic spinach. LOL. Oh wow I can't believe what I have been missing. I had too much fun there today! :)

My store did not have whole organic chickens but the conventional ones they did have seem waaaay better than the stuff I was getting at Sam's. I believe those are from tyson and read that they contains up to 12% of some sort of "solution". Yea, since I have no idea what is in that, I have often worried what I am consuming. Yay for fresh chicken w/o the extra junk! And yay for big jars of coconut oil and organic ground beef and 15 other things I bought today. Man if I didn't restrain myself I could have easily spent $300.

Archived