April Whole 30 group

Jessica Reagan

Sorry for all my posts. I gave up sugar and grains in Feb and felt great, didn't cheat all. i do love my cheese and yogurt but feel ok with going without.

The thing I'm scared about is giving up coffee! I know it's not in the orig plan but I feel like I need to do it for "adrenal fatigue" reasons. I also have major anxiety issues. But the thought of giving up coffee has literally moved me to tears this week. Crazy, right?

Not crazy at all.... I would cry too. I'm thinking about it, but I just don't want to. I love coffee. Like I wanna marry it.

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

joining you from France! I've been on board since 1 March, although I had a glass of wine on Passover (which I don't regret!) and found myself turning more and more to fruit and nuts in between meals (which I want to change!). I've SO appreciated our forum's energy and support, and some of us are continuing – or (for myself) starting anew .. as of today! This time what I want to work on:

- eating enough at meals in order not to want snacks,

- drinking more water,

- daily exercise (I hike on weekends)

- limiting fruit.

There's a good challenge ahead, as we're going to be in England for 10 days (for my 60th b'day!) hiking and visiting friends. With coeliac and allergies to eggs/casein, b'fasts might be less than ideal, but hopefully with some bacon or kippers I'll have enough oomph for climbing hills! I'm making beef jerky this weekend, and dehydrating winter squash and sweet potato “chips†– and I found individual packets of coconut butter when I was in the States. Usually I would carry dried fruit and nuts and (raw) chocolate and Kit's Organic bars, but a couple of weeks ago I stopped eating chocolate, nuts (except for macademia) and nut butters, and there's no question that my eyes (ocular rosacea) are doing better – eventually I may have to fully follow the autoimmune protocol, but for now I'm going to wait and see until after England.

So hello all, and cheers to a smooth start!

Beets - The thought of giving up coffee moves me to tears, too! I think I'm just going to reduce it. I gave it up for January and didn't notice any positive affects Or negative, for that matter.

Jessica - Great quote!

Hillwalker - I'm envious. I love France! I majored in French in college and loved studying the language, history and literature. I have unfortunately lost all of my French reading and speaking skills. Tough to keep up from MN!

Not crazy at all.... I would cry too. I'm thinking about it, but I just don't want to. I love coffee. Like I wanna marry it.

I wake up in the morning and think about coffee. Every day. I seriously cannot function without it.

I was talking to my good friend who battles many of my demons. She was saying how coffee has the same emotional attachments as smoking (the social aspects, the rituals). Giving it up is scary because you are afraid of losing all of those other positive attachments. But I have really crippling anxiety right now and I know deep down that coffee/caffeine is part of my problem. It is such a crutch for me.

Great Socrates quote!

Beets - Maybe I'm being naive, but I'm not worried. I figure it's up to me to do it or not and if I don't, I'm not hurting anyone but myself. I don't know how hard it will be until I'm in it, so I'm not fretting. We'll see how I feel a week from now. :o Good idea to order some staples from Amazon. I need to get myself to Whole Foods tomorrow to get a few of the same things on your list.

I also am sending my husband to WF today to do some foraging. (We live in Brooklyn where there is no WF, but he works around the corner from one in Manhattan.) The main reason I ordered from Amazon was not to amass the crazy amount of cardboard I now have in my kitchen but to buy a case of NAtive Forest Organic Coconut Milk for $25. These are usually $4/can around me.

I have been making note of all the yummy Nom Nom Paleo recipes I want to try. We are having roasted leg of lamb on Sunday for Easter (never made it but I'm psyched) and I will be gnawing on that while we watch the premier of Game of Thrones. Winter is Coming! Hoping to have some leftover lamb to start my week.

I'm planning to do a Whole60 beginning on April 1. I've been mostly paleo for the last year or two - I've got celiac disease and find that I do better avoiding grains altogether, but I want to do this to help me get a handle on my dairy/alcohol/sugar intake - which isn't excessive, but is too easy for me to overindulge in. I'm also hoping that a really clean diet with strict avoidance of dairy/alcohol might help my seasonal allergies this summer. We go camping a lot and I like spending time outdoors, but it's a lot less fun if you need to cart around a box of tissues wherever you go!

Beets, I totally understand the whole coffee thing. My coffee maker was in constant use for years. I used to work in a coffee shop and was drinking 10, 15 shots of espresso a day and bringing home loads of free coffee every week.

What worked best for me though was not having a coffee maker. (a French Press was too much hassle and tea was far more appealing than Nescafe)

Or you could try switching to decaf? (This didn't work for me at all, but you might get better mileage with it)

So in the last week, I've let myself eat whatever I wanted in preparation for Monday. I've had ice cream, peanut butter toast, popcorn, and a candy shaped like an egg. Oh and some booze with whip cream on top. I'm in a tremendous amount of pain the last few days. My sciatica is out of control, having knee pain?, my back hurts, I'm sore basically all over with localized pain, my nerves are going crazy and I can tell a lot of the pain is that numb/tingly type pain. Even my chest feels heavy, and my allergies have bothered me more this month. Seriously if this isn't case and point to systematic inflammation, I don't know what is. Can't wait to feel better!

I'm starting April 1, too.

I began in March and only lasted 12 days. But I felt great those 12 days (except for maybe days 2-3).

I've been back eating junk and notice a huge difference. As for sciatica, I actually hadn't even noticed that it had gone away, until after I fell off the wagon & my back pinched up; bf pointed out that it was the first time in a while. Hmmm? There really is something to the stematic inflammation thing.

I've purchased & researched a few more paleo slow cooker recipes the last couple weeks. We learned that it the crock pot helps a lot. Even if we have a plan, sometimes by the time I get home I'm just too wiped to cook (or all my extra Whole30 energy goes toward cooking). So on weekdays, it's slow cooker time.

Looking forward to feeling good again!

-Nicole

I'm in! Had a busy March and vacationing twice in May, so been planning an April W30 to get me geared up and feeling good. I did my first W 30 in January and felt amazing. Good luck everyone!

I've gotten used to eating non "breakfast" food for breakfast: leftover dinner, salad, veg. I am really loving eggs with a side of simply dressed greens like in a bistro. But I agree it's not so easy with kids. My five-yr old is a tough customer! I stopped buying cereal a couple weeks ago and even my toddler still asks for it every day.

As I mentioned above, I'm planning to be a bit more lax with my kids. Once I get in the groove it'll be easier--especially since my husband won't be doing this with me. I've been making yogurt for my kids with grass-fed milk and they are ok with this for breakfast--either in a bowl or in a "milkshake" (i.e., smoothie) with some blueberries or other fruit. I don't need my littles to be 100% on plan at this point.

Thanks for the breakfast ideas, Beets and Jessica! Glad to have clarity - I won't make any "granola". I will try the homemade sausage patties & sweet potatoes sometime, and the eggs+salad greens. Checking out the coconut milk on amazon too. This is going to be so luxurious! I found more breakfast ideas in other threads too.

I have actually been considering making a batch of probiotic yogurt for myself this week before I start, because I am coming off antibiotics, and won't be able to have the yogurt during my 30 days (or I guess I might just need to get/make some fermented veggies!).

Thanks for the breakfast ideas, Beets and Jessica! Glad to have clarity - I won't make any "granola". I will try the homemade sausage patties & sweet potatoes sometime, and the eggs+salad greens. Checking out the coconut milk on amazon too. This is going to be so luxurious! I found more breakfast ideas in other threads too.

I have actually been considering making a batch of probiotic yogurt for myself this week before I start, because I am coming off antibiotics, and won't be able to have the yogurt during my 30 days (or I guess I might just need to get/make some fermented veggies!).

You're welcome! I'm glad you've got some ideas to get you started! You can have komboucha too, or bone broth, both are great for your gut and whole 30 compliant! I love Synergy's Lavendar Komboucha, it's amazing but they have lots of other flavors too.

Hi, folks! I'd like to join ya'll. I'm currently in the middle of a whole30 but I have to do this for longer because I have so many medical issues. (Autoimmune arthritis, history of Crohn's disease, three major operations in the past 5 years, ongoing life stress, etc.)

I am doing the whole30 minus eggs, nuts and nightshades, though the doc I'm working with may permit me to add something back in.

I'm hoping to have more time and energy to make more interesting meals in April----because my dad had a heart attack 2 weeks ago, I've been helping him and my mom and haven't had energy/time for the kitchen. I've been eating plain veggies and roasted or panfried meat, fowl or fish, period. B-O-R-I-N-G.

Some of the meals on websites and in cookbooks look so good! I would love a meal of Korean short ribs over mashed cauliflower!

Pea

Hi everyone. This is my first post. I've been poking around the forum since last week and trying to find my feet. I'm starting my first ever Whole30 on Monday. I'm nervous and quietly excited about the possibilities! I look forward to chatting with all of you.

I'm also excited!

I've been eating all kinds of junk I've been avoiding for the last couple months--a bite of brownie here, a cracker there. Yesterday my kids and I got out to a nature preserve but my snack packing left something to be desired and I let myself get too hungry.

I ran out of eggs. And this morning I ate a whole chocolate croissant. It's from a very good nyc bakery and I used the rationale of not eating it for a long time (ever?) but still it's not worth the horrible stomach issues I'm having now.

The more I read they're convinced I that I have leaky gut. No more croissants. Ugh.

I too have been indulging this week, particularly the past few days, and been waking in the middle of the night feeling terrible. More proof that the Whole30 is necessary! Surely the carb withdrawals will not feel this terrible.

Ladybugnd- where are you finding good slow cooker recipes?

Those of you that have completed previous whole30s, do you have any secrets to your success? I've already purged the junk in our house and put away non compliant temptations but really trying to prepare for success!

I'm starting April 1st too! I also liked the idea that April started the day after Easter (gotta have my peanut butter eggs!) and that April is 30 days long. April is also one of the few months with no holidays, birthdays or other celebrations in my family. I have been off from work this week, so I was able to read ISWF, clean out my pantry and refrigerator, shop, and today I am cooking breakfast and dinner for the week. I live alone, and get home from work at about 730 pm. I like to cook a big pot of something on the weekend and eat it for the week...I don't mind eating the same thing a few nights in a row, I hate to cook, and it's easy to have something to heat up when I get home and am too tired to do anything. I made the sweet potato hash from ISWF with ground turkey for breakfasts, and am making an italian chili recipe I found (no beans) which I will eat with sliced avocado on top for dinners. Lunches will probably be salad with tuna and the homemade dressing from ISWF...still have to do that.

I am so excited to start! Nervous, but excited!

I'm in for April 1st. I've got to get back at it. I did a Whole60 or so last fall starting in August. Completely fell back to SAD after having shoulder surgery in October, and then over the holidays.

I can really see the difference in how I feel so I really need to get back at it. My husband and 2 kids are out of town for the next week so it's a great time to concentrate on me again.

I'll be cooking up a storm tomorrow to get me all set for the first week. Preparation is key!

Skimmed the last page, just about had a stroke because it looked like you can't have coffee. I was already having anxious sweats about the idea of having black coffee - I've cut the sweetener a while ago, but milk or cream have remained a staple to date. Glad to see it's not prohibited, although I'm sure the fact that I'll be drinking black coffee will lead me to cut down on my coffee intake quite a bit as is.

I'm starting tomorrow (Mar 31st) as we don't celebrate Easter so there are no pancake breakfasts/decadent dinners to attend AND we're flying back from a vacation where we gorged on Mexican food every day, so it's the perfect time to start fresh. I'll be in this group for all intents and purposes, though!

I'm in...just read through ISWF and had a friend who completed the Whole 30 with great results. My husband is supportive and will eat whatever I cook, but he is interested in doing it with me...so I will need the support of Whole 30 people. I need to slay the sugar dragon, lose some weight, and sleep better! Can't wait to get started...going to do lots of cooking tomorrow to prepare for the week.

I'll be with you guys :) I did a W30 end of December and into January. Loved it, changed my life, insane back pain (the kind that leaves you in a wheelchair) GONE. I've been paleo as can be since then but I've been dealing with A LOT of stress and poor sleep which has my mental cravings all over the place, and my insulin resistance a mess with no sleep. Today was the first time in months I ate non paleo. I felt my hormones a mess but didn't recognize it until I was knee deep in comfort food. I realized that there was a huge part of my overall health that was not part of my first W30 (can't expect to fix everything in 30 days right?). So I am going to do another W30 with a focus on SLEEP and stress. I'd like to come out the other end with my hormones working better than they are and a better ability to listen to my body, OH and post workout nutrition. I did so-so on that the first time, haven't done any pretty much since my W30 was over, and am working out harder than ever so definitely PWO nutrition.

Oh and for those worried about coffee, you will definitely learn if you are a true coffee lover. I found I was fine not drinking it most of the time without coconut milk and raw honey. My husband on the other hand drinks as much black coffee when there is no cream and sugar. I thought I loved coffee until it stopped being a creamy sweet drink.

Archived