Cooking for B-day party super challenge. Help!

Nadia B

Hi all! I hope that some of the bright minds can help me to find the solution for this situation.

I have a big friends and family birthday to attend this Saturday. I need to stay max compliant without drawing attention/being rude/being hungry.

Little vent you can skip. My aunt tries to learn about nutrition etc (don't get me started on where she gets these "researches", can't really blame her). Anyways, she seemed interested when I started Whole30 and even attempted to start (never happened). She is constantly asking about my eating routine etc. I sent her all the links and explained it million times. Finally I bought her ISWF. Knowing that this party is coming I offered help with cooking, but she said "darling, I have your dietary restrictions, don't worry. Naive me. So last night she calls me very excited to report on the menu. Long and stupid conversation with "oh I though soy sauce is fine" or "but it's a healthy flour". Modifying any of them is not an option and there is no guarantee that "oh I thought it was ok" stuff won't get in there. I might have considered off-roading, but 1. my aunt is not my fav cook and it's really not worth it (sorry auntie) 2. this food will make me sick for couple days. Seems like an easy task, but there are million of points I have to consider.

Here is the list of stuff I have to consider:

- It's sort of fancy, show off gathering with 50+ people coming (hearty faux-tatoes mash won't do)

- I am limited in time I can spare for cooking (= no stuffing million caps of mushrooms)

- I have time to do shopping today only

- Multicultural crowd (= no bacon, no pork)

- No meat as I am not too comfortable with it and there will be plenty of it anyways

- I should be able to safely transport it to the party and I am not driving

- I broke food processor couple days ago :D

- Ideally exclude common allergens

- Bonus if kids will like it too

My thoughts so far:

- Moroccan Chicken Salad - its bright and will get me covered with protein/fat/veggies.

- Ginger-lime marinated shrimps. I tried them many times, they are phenomenal. Minus - deveining them and necessity to cook them on the spot.

- Coconut shrimps by MM. Minus - I am not sure how well they do over night.

- Roasted acorn squash wedges with some cool spice mix - simple, yummy and bright

- Roasted Brussel sprouts in Balsamic (mom asked me too, she loves my version) - they are super pretty roasted + 99% of people would never think they can be tasty. If no one likes them Mom and I eat them all. Ha.

Any thoughts? Anyone? Help? :rolleyes:

Hi Nadia,

Yeah.... I had one of these last weekend too. It was my BF's god child's birthday. I knew there was going to be nothing compliant served in this household so I brought a veggie platter with artichoke spinach dip (wasn't bad - people even thought there was actual cheese inside - and it pretty much got cleaned up)

I did Well Fed's Eggplant strata for a New Year's potluck - make it day or two before, keeps well and I'm sure you could sub in ground turkey or chicken in for the pork. The only problem it is a rather time consuming dish - but I usually do it stages - so it could work.

I came across a recipe for Paleo General Tsao Chicken - I *think* it was on health bent's website. Very good. Except it has honey - in which I subbed in some pineapple juice. You could easily make this to feed a crowd + it's pretty easy to make.

I think you are on to something with the chicken salad- easy, all in one.

Mainly what I want to address is this: it is NOT RUDE to not eat food at a party, no matter how fancy it is. It is simply not acceptable for anyone to pressure or trick you into making yourself "sick for two days" so they can feel good about their party. If anyone else asks why yore not eating the short answer is you have a lot of food allergies. Even strangers can understand that. Your aunt the hostess may need an extra phone call or email explaining that while you appreciate her efforts at trying to work with your restrictions that you have simply come too far in yor healing to be detailed by small amounts of irritants and that you will be happiest eating your own food and that not eating will not detract from your celebratory feelings.

Sorry for the long rant, but aaaahhhh food bullies just really get my goat!

Sorry for the long rant, but aaaahhhh food bullies just really get my goat!

I know, I deal with it every day at work. Don't get me started. Thanks for support.

My aunt is sweet and she tries really hard. I trusted. I'd just would never think that a person with Master Degree in Engineering can't get a simple no grains/soy/dairy thing :D

All these people know me since I was 4. They've seen me losing quite a bit of weight in the past, so my plate is always watched at this parties. Not eating will cause 1. rumors that I have eating disorder 2. lots of questions and remarks about "dieting" 3. being rude by cultural foodcentric set-up 4. being hungry and eating Mom's cake (which will be fantastic and not for me).

I am sure that I'll be fine and have fun - hungry or not.

it is NOT RUDE to not eat food at a party, no matter how fancy it is. It is simply not acceptable for anyone to pressure or trick you into making yourself "sick for two days" so they can feel good about their party.

This.

Make something you want to eat, that you think would be fun to share, that you want to try to show off your cooking skills, whatever--just don't feel pressured to eat anything that doesn't work for you.

I am often suprised at how much random people LOVE the whole30 compliant foods I make. Yes, they are fresh and colorful and tasty and all that, but why do these people opt for junk so much of the time when we all know this to be true? I have no idea.

Treat yourself well, NB, you deserve it.

I am often suprised at how much random people LOVE the whole30 compliant foods I make. Yes, they are fresh and colorful and tasty and all that, but why do these people opt for junk so much of the time when we all know this to be true? I have no idea.

Treat yourself well, NB, you deserve it.

I know, most people will never suspect this food falls under certain paradigm. Even my little cousins lick plates whenever they are visiting.

Exactly! I have just started to see slight improvements and it will be a shame to ruin my tiny progress.

Thank you for always cheering me up.

Btw - any comment on the your shrimp recipe I mention? I think that they will not be crispy day after?

The easiest (and DELICIOUS) way I have found to make chicken salad is make homemade mayo in the vitamix (or food processor) and then take a rotisserie chicken from Whole Foods and pull it off and add everything (even juices) in. So good.

Thanks, sounds so good. I think I'll stick to the version I linked above involves baking everything, which works perfectly. Whole Foods is way far and I really don't want to get "soooo isn't mayo FATTENING?" kind of questions. :(

Chili or meatballs in a crock pot are also things that you could make ahead. I saw that you were going with the salad, which sounds great! Just thought I'd offer some other suggestions. If you check out chowstalker.com which is a Paleo recipe site, they have a portion which is all Whole 30 Compliant. With a little digging there are some great, easy to prepare ideas on there. Good luck with your party! Report back :)

Thanks a lot, meatballs are always awesome and easy to make. However I say in my post that I do not want to cook meat. There will be plenty of meat and fish, Id like to bring something colorful and happy + cover myself with protein/fat/arbs. Salad should work.

Thanks a lot, meatballs are always awesome and easy to make. However I say in my post that I do not want to cook meat. There will be plenty of meat and fish, Id like to bring something colorful and happy + cover myself with protein/fat/arbs. Salad should work.

Sorry, I just saw that in your chicken salad recipe you had to cook the chicken, so I figured something easy like chili would be okay :)

Archived