I didn't make it...

Asla

I fell for a bag of chips on day 25 :-(

And 2 pieces of chocolate.

Made it through a family-weekend and a Girl scouts weekend sticking to Whole30, but then this stupid boring monday comes along and I'm working at home and I get a great attack of BALT (Bored, Angry, Lonely, Tired) and I'm like 'Screw it all'.

I'm on track again now, but not very happy. Results aren't really what I had hoped, partly because I'm not strict enough and partly because I have a lot on my mind at the moment.

Not really sure what I'm going to do now. I'm not done with Whole9-ish living, but I'm not sure I want to start a Whole30 again. I also notice that it really bothers me at times that there is so much planning required revolving food. What to make, waht to bring, what to buy.

I like the food I can eat and when there is time I love to cook, but sometimes you just want to get up, shove some items in your bag and be gone. Now those things are available, but not as much as 'before', and in a busy period I end up eating the same things every day.Boring!

Oh, and I miss the 'fun' of sharing food.

I'm going to have to think about what I want now....

For now I just needed to whine to someone, so here I am, forum-members :-)

Asla, you managed 24 compliant days, that's awesome. Be proud of yourself for that. We're all human, we all fall short of perfection and we all (possibly apart from Tom ;)) make choices we wish we hadn't made and quite often whine about it. You've come to the right place to do that because we understand.

Now you could have just thrown in the towel, and moved on without a backward glance, but you didn't. You came here and explained yourself so i suspect you don't really want to give up this way of eating. You made it through really difficult weekends staying compliant and even when you did off road, it could have been so much worse and you've recognised exactly what your triggers were. that's great.

You say you're back on track, that's fantastic. I totally agree, it's not always easy and it does take a lot more forethought and planning than simply grabbing food anywhere but that really does get easier as you go on. Planning is definitely the key and for me, every so often when I've got ime, searching out a new recipe and trying it. I love Tom's site http://www.wholelifeeating.com I love the fact that he doesn't do complicated, his recipes are easy but oh so tasty.

So well done for getting this far and good luck with the rest of your healthy journey

• Moderators

I used to love sitting at the counter at Waffle House watching the cooks work. Their ability to do 12 things at once and get food on the tables in minutes fascinated me. I imagined that I would never make it as a Waffle House cook, that those guys were super human. Then, I had a Waffle House cook show up in my psychotherapy office one day. He was a really ordinary guy whose marriage was falling apart. I did not get to know him very well - he ran off without paying me for our first two sessions - but I learned enough to know that he was not super human.

I could see myself making it as a Waffle House cook today. Most of what I cook is simple, but I can do lots of things at once and many meals that I prepare take 15 minutes or less to make. But it took me a lot of practice to cook as fast as I do now. To learn which steps are necessary and which steps can be "streamlined" or skipped.

I do think you have to get beyond the fast food concept. The fantasy that you can live a good life eating food that is fast, convenient, and available anywhere you turn. That food is poison and that lifestyle is fake. But the alternative is not spending your entire life in the kitchen. You really can work your way to being ready to cook at Waffle House. B)

Note: I am pretty sure there are no Waffle Houses in the Netherlands, but think small restaurant with big menu where the food comes quick.

"Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist"~ Pablo Picasso

(I'm not sure he really said that or not, I doubt it- but the sentiment IS true and applicable here)

And like Tom said- there are faster and easier way to get your w30 chow on. I have 2 little kids and a husband doing the w30, plus I'm now doing the AIP and we've been going strong for over a month with packing snacks and lunches to school and everywhere we go. I rarely make complicated recipes but ALL of our food is fresh and tasty.

Asla - Good for you for making it 24 days! Celebrate in that.

If it makes you feel any better I was in a BALT state of mind for the last few days as well and I came this close to soothing myself too! I'm still very close to it.....

As far as cooking goes - it does get easier. I found it too be nothing but a lot of cooking in the begining too. But then somewhere along the line it became old hand. But I also don't have a little one and my BF helps out a lot. (He's the organized one!)

So relax - don't stress out about it - we've pretty much all been there. If you are continuing, try to find shortcuts and things to make your life easier. Personally a weekly menu plan keeps me on the straight and narrow. Even when I am battling it out with my BALT demons....

It is really tough, and I don't have a lot to add besides commiseration, but it's really awesome that you made it 24 days; that's long enough to see a lot of positive changes!

I'm sure you've looked into this, but have you tried things like using a slow cooker, or freezing multiple meals in Tupperware to make your own "convenience food"? I work from home now but when I had an office job I'm pretty sure I would have starved without my crockpot!

Archived