Your brain on different types of sugar?

JJB

OK, so I'm a little obsessed with the topic of sugar right now. I've gone off-road with sugar 4-5 times now since early Feb, and finally noticed how I became an emotional basketcase for days afterward. This last month has probably been the most eye-opening of my life. I always told people sugar had no effect on me, because I didn't get that "high" that they talked about. I had no idea it affected me emotionally. I've basically been on a drug-induced roller coaster for 35 years and didn't even realize it. What is the most amazing to me is thinking back to how much sugar I used to consume, on a daily basis. There was a ~4 year period (marked by the beginning and end of a particularly crappy relationship) where I drank probably an average of 4-5 regular Mt. Dews every single day...had candy after almost every meal...ate ice cream and other desserts multiple times per week. Plus I was eating mostly processed or fast food then, so there was tons of hidden sugars there. That's also the time period where I dealt with the worst emotional highs and lows of my life, got on anti-depressants, and cried more days than I didn't (I was also the skinniest I've ever been, like bordering on anorexic-looking...still can't figure that one out).

So, here's my query: I understand that no sugars are any healthier than the others. I understand eating too much fruit, dried fruit, or artificial sweeteners will keep my cravings alive. What I don't fully understand is what causes the emotional stuff...is it a side-effect of the blood sugar highs and lows, or something else? If I were to consume too much fruit or dried fruit in a day, could I expect the same roller coaster over the next few days as if I had eaten table sugar? What about honey, pure maple syrup, or molasses? I am slowly accepting the fact that there is no place for regular candy/desserts in my life. But I'm hoping I can still have dried fruit or maybe paleo pancakes (sweetened with honey) on occasion without experiencing this brain sickness. I suppose really I'm just in denial and hoping there's still a way to get my sweet fix without the negative consequences...

I don't have an explanation for you, but I know that my moods—especially feeling sad or down for no reason—are strongly related to eating sugar. Sugar makes me feel REALLY GOOD, then REALLY bad. The really bad part can last for three days for me.

I find that I am able to eat fruit without this reaction, especially if it like grape fruit with my eggs. I can also eat a small amount of processed sugar (one cookie) with a full meal of fat, protein, veggies, etc and be okay.

In general I don't eat sugar except for my pre-identified special days (my birthday, Thanksgiving, etc) and I recognize that I will likely feel somewhat down after those days.

JJB, I could have written your post, except I didn't feel (or acknowledge, maybe) the depression to such an extreme.

My latest rule is to allow fruit and nuts up to once per day as ingredients in a cooked meal, but not to eat them separately as a snack or dessert. Along with eating 3 full meals and no snacks, this seems to be working so far to keep the sugar dragon at bay while allowing some sweetness into my life. I know that if I didn't restrict them enough, I would quickly slide back into eating fruit & nuts as a substitute for all my old junk food favorites, and I just don't want to go back there.

I don't notice the same effect with fruits as I do with sugar. I, too, discovered that what I thought were life-long emotional problems was in fact the direct result of eating/drinking sugar. Shocking. Really really shocking.

Sugar is sugar.... Period

Fructose from fruit has the saving grace that it comes in a fiber rich package that dramatically slows absorption, contrast HFCS goes strait to your liver and turned into fat....

Highly processed grains are just as bad....

Here is a great article:

http://www.hypoglycemia.asn.au/2011/the-serotonin-connection/

Thanks for the responses all. Interesting article Fender. I guess I just have to do some experimenting. Or maybe just pay attention to myself more...I have no idea what my threshold is. So if I have more fruit/dried fruit than normal, I need to watch how I'm feeling for a couple of days just in case it does have an effect.

Although there are definitely physical things going on, for me what's far more powerful and has much more of an impact on my mood, irritabilty and emotions are the mental aspects. The guilt and the feelings of failure after overeating sugar make me an emotional wreck.

Although there are definitely physical things going on, for me what's far more powerful and has much more of an impact on my mood, irritabilty and emotions are the mental aspects. The guilt and the feelings of failure after overeating sugar make me an emotional wreck.

Yeah, I'm getting there too. Especially since I fully understand what it's doing to me now, it makes it even harder to not beat myself up when I eat it.

JJB, Have you ever checked out Mercola.com? Dr. Mercola has many interesting articles (and even a book called "Sweet Deception") on the topic of sweeteners (sugars as well as artificial).

I have not...but I will, thanks!

I think there are a number of levels that sugar has an impact on and we are all affected by each to different extents.

One is of course psychological... The sweet taste engenders craving for more sweet stuff. And another emotional... Candy is a treat and we deserve it to make ourselves feel better.

One level is how quickly the sugar is absorbed into your blood... Glycemic index is useful here of individual components and/or adding protein and fat to slow absorption. Fruits have a range of gi's so some are less of a problem than others.

Another level is insulin sensitivity and insulin response. If you keep the sugar level below your own insulin threshold you won't be affected or affected as much. Also there are triggers that affect insulin response... Such as stress, caffeine, exercise. And your health and genetics can affect your insulin sensitivity.

How you process sugar is also affected by the health of your liver and current load on your liver. Alcohol and artificial sweeteners etc are hard work for your liver.

Sugar absorption can also be affected by the balance of fructose with glucose.

I have seen some recent research indicating the insulin mechanism was rarely activated in caveman days... Only in circumstances of extreme stress like near death. Our modern diet and environment however have caused the insulin response mechanism to be active all the time which is creating a swathe of health problems.

I forgot to add that if I avoid coffee and nuts I seem to be able to eat whatever fruits whenever in any reasonable amount without really thinking about it, somedays having three serves a day, others only one or none depending on what's available... With coffee daily the fruit makes me craving crazy for more sweet stuff all the time

I forgot to add that if I avoid coffee and nuts I seem to be able to eat whatever fruits whenever in any reasonable amount without really thinking about it, somedays having three serves a day, others only one or none depending on what's available... With coffee daily the fruit makes me craving crazy for more sweet stuff all the time

That's really interesting! Thanks for your insights. I decided to start another W30 4/1 (last minute, so I wouldn't have time to cheat before I started). I had already decided to go caffeine and nut-free this time. Interested to see if it makes any difference.

Archived