Round 2, now with less neuroses and more support!

AmyB

Just wanted to check in - I did my first W30 last July, and am finally ready overdue for another one. The good news is, I already eat this way so much that I didn't have to do much to prepare, and was able to decide at the last minute to do it. My roommate decided to join as well, which is awesome! This is largely a willpower thing for me with regards to alcohol and sugar. I don't buy bread or non W30 foods to make my meals with, but I have a hard time with treats/sweets if they are in front of me.

I'm not going to post a food log this time, because I found that that part of the process makes me kind of neurotic. It is going easier for me in general, though - I feel very productive and am making good choices (this is day 8). I ate 3 dates with homemade almond butter the other day and was like, "whoa, that's enough!" They are SO sweet! My only concern is that I just feel like I'm ingesting a ton of coconut milk. Ever since I discovered how delicious it is in my coffee, I just want more and more of it. I am looking forward to the farmers' market opening back up in my area so that I can get even more veggies. Fresh Michigan asparagus is one of my favorites!

One last thing: during my last W30 I was dating a guy who referred to this way of eating as my "little diet thingy." He has since been released from my life, but I have to laugh and draw inspiration from such a ridiculous statement.

Best,

Amy

• Moderators

One last thing: during my last W30 I was dating a guy who referred to this way of eating as my "little diet thingy." He has since been released from my life...

Sounds like you made a good move. His comment hints of his having too much respect for himself and not enough for you. :)

It's day 11, and I'm feeling great! Some appetite fluctuations here and there, but nothing I'm too concerned about. I went to the grocery store right after they made the donuts in the bakery, and I actually felt nauseous from the smell, which I consider a good sign. I have been alarmingly productive at home lately - chores are done, things are straightened and put away, etc. I'm amused by this and hope it lasts. My roommate is also doing the W30 as I mentioned, but she doesn't seem to be sharing this particular symptom. ;)

I do feel a bit of weariness and dread at the prospect of having to explain this way of eating to anyone, so I'm preparing my very short elevator speech for such an occasion. I just...don't feel like talking about it or defending it, or anything. Just give me my vegetables and meat and leave me alone! Wait, is this Kill All the Things? Anyway, I have 2 challenges coming up: early dinner at my parents' house on Sat, then birthday dinner for a friend out later (yes, 2 dinners). Parents' house is a crapshoot and could be totally compliant, or it could be processed carby garbage (carbage?). The restaurant is a good one, and I'm planning on a salad with salmon, club soda with lime, and an espresso at dessert time. I know I will not feel deprived at all; I think it's when other people feel deprived on my behalf that it gets annoying.

I am about to run out of fruit - I have one banana and probably 1 cup of frozen mango chunks left. I am going to try not buying any more until the end of my W30. It just feels like an experiment I should do. And if I do change my mind and get some apples or something, that's ok, too. Just curious about going without for a bit. I think it's because I recently ate 3 entire pineapples by myself (not all at once).

Welp, good moments, and lessons learned, as in all things...

1. Dinner at parents' was delicious salmon, a salad, carrots, and potatoes. I had no problem not eating the potatoes. I was about 2 bites from finishing when my dad announced, "Yeah, the salmon turned out pretty good! I think the secret is the maple syrup." D'oh! I decided not to worry about it. I had asked for plain olive oil for my salad, and my dad said that they had some garlic infused in the cupboard. I read the label first out of habit, and the first ingredient? Canola oil. D'oh and WTF? Mom had made homemade shortcake with berries and whipped cream for dessert. It looked soooooo good, but I just said no thanks. I think she was kind of disappointed, but I changed the subject. I did say that I would be fine with plain berries, but mom kindly let me know that she'd sprinkled them with sugar. "It's just a little bit!" "Oh, no thank you, then." "Would you like a banana instead?" "Sure." Next topic!

2. I ended up canceling on the later dinner, because I was experiencing some major social burnout and just wanted to go home. So, no worries there. Cup of tea and my pets and a movie. Saying "no" when necessary is a part of the Whole9 life for me, fo' sho'!

3. I said I wouldn't *buy* any more fruit, but I didn't say I wouldn't take it if someone gave it to me! A friend had purchased a large crate of fresh oranges and gave me some. They are delicious, but I'm still limiting myself to one per day. So far, so good.

4. Nice experience while out to breakfast today. I had ordered an omelet with sausage, green pepper, and mushroom, and asked for no potatoes or toast on the plate. The owner of the restaurant came by and told me they had sweet potatoes if I wanted an order of those instead. Um, yes please! How nice that some people are becoming more aware. And kind of sad that I don't even bother asking anymore.

Happy Sunday, all, and happy Day 14!

Over the last 2 days, I've been experiencing: anxiety symptoms, digestive irregularity (rare for me), and acne breakouts on my jaw and neck. No bueno! Not sure what I might be eating that would be contributing to that, unless it's allllllll the coconut products. I slept really well last night, but have had less than ideal sleep in general over the last several days. I've talked to some other people who are just kind of struggling in general, so wondering if there's just something in the air right now, or the change of seasons? We've had lots and lots of rainy, cloudy days recently...I'm sure this is all temporary, and healing crises are to be expected. Planning on upping my veggie intake and adding more variety over the rest of the week. Also taking the day off on Thursday - getting a massage, taking a long walk, and spending some time with my sister. I am doing two strength workouts this week, and nothing else. Everything will be ok!

Oh hey! I have just discovered you have a log too, cool. I have unexpected flares and rashes, and chin breakouts. I blame a can of coconut cream I got recently. I'd like to think it's just the "in the air thing" as I like this cream very very much :)

Your description of the dinner at your parents made me laugh. Moms will name all the food they have until you pick something to eat. Classic.

I feel like "it's just a little bit" is the most repeated phrase around me. That's my new discovered "sensitivity". No, thanks - what so hard, people? Haha.

Hope you'll have a fantastic Thursday.

Feeling lots better about life in general! Nagging shoulder pain is gone (from months ago), although it still makes some crunchy noises. Last night I whacked my shin good on a barbell...it's going to leave a helluva bruise. I'm glad I didn't run right to the Motrin - treating it with arnica, lymphatic massage, and TLC. Wondering how much faster it will heal without excess inflammation in my system.

This morning I enjoyed a delicious meal of leftover roasted kale and sweet potato w/cumin, a local bratwurst, and 2 poached eggs. Plus coffee, of course. Going easy on the fruit, and it's going ok...I do miss it a bit, but I'm not to the hulksmash phase about it. Going to make leg of lamb for the first time - doing an Indian inspired rub with (what else) coconut milk in the crockpot. YUM!

This time around feels much more like nurturing and much less like deprivation...progress!

It is Day 20 and I am feeling...like a bottomless pit. But I like it. All of my food fantasies are about compliant items. I get really excited about burgers, steak, huge bowls of brussels sprouts, piles of arugula, tuna with homemade mayo...yumyum. I have been doing much, much better with snacking this time around. Just eating bigger meals and rockin' out for hours on that good energy. If I get hungry and am not near food, then I just...let myself feel hungry. I know it's temporary and that when I get home, I'll eat something reasonable then. The true test will be if I am out with friends at a bar and there is real temptation. I did break down and buy some apples the other day. Feeling fine about this. This past week has also been pretty restful - only 1 strength workout and a full day off on Thursday - no working and no house chores. Anxiety much better; digestion still a little wonky. Considering making this a Whole45 to see how I feel.

Day 23...still thinking a lot about food, and enjoying what I make and eat. Practicing lots of deep breathing and reminding myself that I'm not hungry. I'm certain that I'm eating enough at each meal, and still only eating one serving of fruit per day. It's come to my attention that my office/corporate job is a trigger for me. Free (crappy) hot chocolate all day, people bringing in treats, tons of non-compliant stuff happening. Plus, it's boring, which equals anxious snacking for me. Maybe it's time for me to make some changes and say goodbye to that part of my life. It would be wonderful to only focus on massage/fitness/wellness.

I'm planning to incorporate fermented cod liver oil pretty soon - I've read enough to convince me to give it a shot. I have decided on a couple of off-road experiences coming up: spending Memorial Day weekend with my sister, and there will be adult beverages and possibly a waffle or other breakfast treat from PaleOMG. There's also a very nice cheese store in my area, and I'd like to try something new. My dear roommate made a "paleo granola" this weekend with honey that looked delicious, but I have resisted that temptation. She told me that she was able to say no to both wine and dessert and I was so proud of her! This weekend we are both involved in a competition at our CF box (her competing, me judging), and we are definitely going out afterward, so that will be interesting.

I think my digestion is improving, and my mood is great. Still have a little breakout action on my face - could be a product I am using, or just touching my face unconsciously too much. Trying to cut back on coconut milk - only allowed in one cup of coffee per day. ^_^

Usually I don't do a food log, but feel the need to see it right now:

M1 = 2 cups of cabbage sauteed with coconut oil, S&P, and caraway seeds, topped with 2 eggs (they were large; didn't feel the need for 3); 1 carrot with a blob of sunbutter

M2 = large piece of "meatza;" salad w/arugula, carrots, cukes, homemade dressing; orange

M3 = forthcoming, but will be leg o' lamb, brussels sprouts, and 1/2 a baked sweet potato. This will be after an olympic lifting class.

If I still feel hungry: 1/2 a bell pepper filled with tuna and avocado. Planning is my friend.

Hi Amy! Glad you are doing so great. I am curious what you will have to say about CLO as I've started taking it recently. Typing it as I chow on a bell pepper filled with tuna and avocado. Emergency meal at the office :)

• Moderators

Hi Amy. If you're still in the city that makes Bell's, then we're in the same place! Congrats on rockin your second w30 with gusto. How's the cf box around here? I'm tempted to check it out.

Hi Amy. If you're still in the city that makes Bell's, then we're in the same place! Congrats on rockin your second w30 with gusto. How's the cf box around here? I'm tempted to check it out.

Yay! I am! Small world. I am a coach at CrossFit AZO. I love it there. We do "free friend Fridays," so if you want, you can check it out for free sometime. There's another one as well, CrossFit 269, but I have never been there. Hope to meet you sometime!

www.crossfitazo.com

If I still feel hungry: 1/2 a bell pepper filled with tuna and avocado. Planning is my friend.

Ended up skipping the bell pepper and eating the whole can of tuna. I had a fantastic lifting session, then came home and ate my planned dinner. It was already cooked; just had to heat it up. I could totally go for one more snack, but I think I'm just munchy. ]I think perhaps the pre and post-WOD meals are a missing piece for me. I don't know why, but those are difficult for me to figure out. The pre-WOD ones especially, because I tend to get pretty, uh, "urpy" during a WO, so it really can't be less than 60 min before. Ah well, I'll keep experimenting.

I am curious what you will have to say about CLO as I've started taking it recently.

Likewise! What brand are you using?

Day 25. Feeling extremely grumpy. Period time. Food cravings mostly in check. I looked back at my food log from my last W30, and holy cow I ate lots of fruit with coconut milk! I'll bet I have eaten less than half that amount this time. Of course, last time was the middle of a very hot summer, so that may have informed my tastes/cravings a bit. Anyway, I have been strangely satisifed with taking deep, vaguely creepy inhales of other peoples' baked goods. My friend brought in cookies to work today and I was like, "cool, can I smell them?" Ha. Foods that are not ideal have been relegated to scented candle status in my life now.

It's Take Your Child to Work day here...not my fave. And I forgot to get more of my favorite tea, which has been helping with munchies and anxiety in the afternoons. *Sigh* Not a great day, guys...not great. Probably time for some yoga in my life.

All of the supplements I wanted to try were quite expensive. I am trying to cut back on spending, not add to it! Will continue thinking about it and see where else I can make some changes.

Foods that are not ideal have been relegated to scented candle status in my life now.

All of the supplements I wanted to try were quite expensive. I am trying to cut back on spending, not add to it! Will continue thinking about it and see where else I can make some changes.

1. So true, we were having a good laugh about it in one thread. People confessed of smelling cheese (that would be me), baked stuff and other food. Your description is right on. So funny.

2. I was thinking recently - why people vent about buying expensive meat, I am going broke with all the enzymes, oils and magnesium :)

Wish you that your day will get better.

2. I was thinking recently - why people vent about buying expensive meat, I am going broke with all the enzymes, oils and magnesium :)

Wish you that your day will get better.

Thank you. :) I think that if I were truly dealing with illness/injury/some other condition, I would probably feel more comfortable spending that money, but since I am feeling pretty good, I think I will just keep on keepin' on with the nutrition and see how it goes. I can always change my mind later. I am seeing better results this time, so I'm actually excited about Whole Whatever-ing for longer, instead of seeing Day 31 as the day I get out of jail or something. Progress!

That's great that you can do without much supplements.

Oh so true, lady. Second time is a breeze. This morning I was "yay 10 days to go" and then I thought "10 days to go and what?". Nothing is going to change really. Last time I thought - oh, I am going to eat this when I am done. Not the case anymore. Hmmm. Maybe bacon jam when I give it a second thought :)

I have an important question to ask you. Can I PM if you don't mind?

Oh dear..it's Day 29! Feeling good. A bit of scalp dryness/itchiness that is grossing me out and needs to go away. Last week I got a haircut that ended up much shorter than the stylist and I discussed, so when I got home I really wanted some wine. Add that to starting my period, and I was not feeling optimal. Went for a walk and went to bed early.

On Saturday, we hosted Garage Games at my CF box. I had my massage table set up, and did probably 15-20 sports massages that day. I was totally wiped out when I got home. Later, I met some friends for dinner. I ate a compliant "safety meal" at home, but at the restaurant was able to get a burger with avocado, tomato, and onion, and a side of broccoli. Club soda with lime. Felt great about that. I am not tempted by the icky, margarine-filled baked goods someone keeps bringing into my office job. Just feeling a lot calmer and better in general and not food-crazy. This week will involve a bit more running, as spring has FINALLY arrived in my neck of the woods. Finally.

To reintroduce soon-ish: wine, dairy, and maybe a "paleo" treat or two. I would deeply enjoy a Greek yogurt. I probably saved $100 by not buying scones at the coffee shop. :rolleyes:

Today is Day 31! I'm feeling good, so I'm just going to keep going. My goal is to make it to Saturday May 25 - I have plans for the rest of Memorial day weekend with my sister, so some non-compliance will probably happen then. ;) I went to the food co-op today planning on getting whatever struck my fancy, and came home with eggs, tuna, sardines, lettuce, apples, and olives. Goat cheese would've been fine, but I just wasn't feelin' it.

I've been experimenting with better pre and post WO meals. Last night I did something that I do not condone, and did 2 WOs. We were doing a really fun running workout that I love, but I still wanted to attend the Oly lifting class. I brought apple, avocado, pumpkin seeds, meatballs, and sweet potato, and ate a few bites of the fruit and nuts before and between, and then the rest (meat and sp) after. Feeling sore but energetic today. I actually *want* to work out more, but have promised myself to moderate a bit with that stuff. So, there is room in my week for one more strength session, and that will be it.

I'm sure it is partially due to the extremely beautiful weather we're having today, but I'm just feeling very grateful, happy, and healthy. This second W30 was a great experience for me. I think I'm closer to a place where I can off-road a bit, and get right back on.

Archived