burned ghee :(

LadyM

• Moderators

I've been making ghee for years without incident, and the other day I make a batch that turned out a whole lot darker than ever. It still smells and tastes OK, and it's definitely clarified. . . . but is it compliant? Did burning the junky stuff ruin the rest of it?

It was the first time I used unsalted Kerrygold to make ghee, so it's a significant investment, and I thought it would be extra delicious.

What do you think? Can I consider it browned ghee, something slightly gourmet? Or is it off and I need to toss it?

The last time I made it, mine got extra browned too. I usually use kerrygold but this time I used a local pastured butter. I do it in the oven at 300 degrees for 70 minutes. The milk solids were almost black. I strained it through a cheese cloth and it's actually really good. If you burnt it worse than I did, it may have an off flavor. Hopefully it's fine. It will not affect the compliance.

That is so odd to me. I made it with salted KG and had to toss it. I wonder if they put more salt in the exported butter?

Just looked it up, the Irish version is Fat 80% min,Salt 2% max

I make it with salted butter, not kerrygold, shops own brand, so maybe not grassfed...and it tastes fine. Must compare packs next time, maybe they scrimp on the salt in the cheaper stuff!

Maybe I am not as much of a salt lover as I thought I was. I salt everything I cook. Weird. I do put a pinch of salt in my ghee whenever I make it. I have been a salt free butter person since I was little so maybe it's just what I am used to.

Derval, on my way to the store so I am going to compare salted and unsalted kg..cuz I am weird like that. :)

• Moderators

I've only ever made ghee with unsalted organic u.s. butter, but I splurged on unsalted kerrygold because it is the finest damn butter I've ever had. Well, the stuff in Ireland, anyway. I'd never used the unsalted import here before. I'm definitely blaming the burned ghee on the cook.

Update: the browned ghee is delicious. I used it to sauté shredded Brussels sprouts for dinner and in a new batch of chicken liver pâté. Heaven. On. A. Spoon.

Oh, and Derval, I loved reading your post whole30 log today. You tell a delightful story over there.

Archived