Green Veggie-mostly Smoothies - interested in feedback

Hi,

I am beginning to understand more about the reasons behind not "drinking" your meals. That said, I find parsley to be hugely beneficial to my well-being. But eating a bunch of it does not appeal. Here's the smoothie I'm currently drinking - which gives me lasting energy and does not lead to a crash experience. I tend to drink it with some eaten (chewed) protein (plain meat, mostly, sometimes eggs, now and then seeds (am allergic to most tree nuts). Very satisfied.

3 good-sized bunches of parsley

1 large cucumber

1 bunch celery

1 cup pineapple

1 heaping tbl cinnamon

well water

3 limes

I put it all in the vitamix and end up with 1.5 gallons of smoothie (stored in frig in three large, .5 gallon mason jars) that keeps for about 5 days.

Sometimes I use part kale and part parsley, and sometimes I add in fresh green beans or other green veggies. Sometimes ginger. But the mostly-veggie-to-a-little-fruit ratio and only water base remains the same.

I am interested in feedback on this. Thanks!

Don't forget to eat plenty of fat too. Coconut oil in the smoothie? Or avocado along with the plain meat.

Sounds delicious. Like a blended salad. Easier to digest all that fiber with the veggies blended. And puréed soups are allowed, this seems very "green gazpacho" to me and less like a smoothie- which I associate as being a creamy (bananas, nut butter) "mealinacup" which is the big no-no.

I would like a big bowl of this in my fridge all week- but sub the water for an oil (liquid coconut, macadamia) and use it as a bed for meat dishes or a topping for baked golden yams. I already have a can of organic crushed pineapple open in the fridge. Boom. One more for my weekly cookup! I love parsley too.

Thank you for your feedback. In my opinion, this is food. I do not eat three bunches at a time - three bunches over 5 days. The other changes I have made are wonderful, and this seems to fit well with them, not diminish them. 90% of the time I drink only water, or water with fresh lime (whole, except for the peal) shredded in water. I appreciate the differing perspectives as it helps me to think through this and continuing learning and moving into increased health.

I disagree. Eat real, whole foods. Smoothies are not a part of W30 for good reason.

Would you ever eat 3 bunches of parsley on a plate?

I'm with Susan here. I'd rather see the parsley as a whole food (or if you MUST puree it, as a marinade or soup addition) than a smoothie. At least, for the duration of your W30. When you're riding your own bike again, natch it is up to you; however, I still maintain that food should be chewed.

I can't better what Renee has already said about green smoothies in answer to someone else wanting to know if they were discouraged just because they took less energy to consume.

No, it just violates many if not all of the good food principles. M&D have also got a lot of testimonies of folks not seeing great benefits when they keep smoothies in the mix.

Also, in my opinion, they also goes against what I consider to be an often ignored, but equally important part of the W30, which is sitting down with your food and taking time to enjoy your meal. I think this practice, of changing habits, is a big key to success with this program.

SO, if having a smoothie with breakfast is going to keep you from diving into a plate full of danish....as long as the ingredients are on plan, and you include them in part of an otherwise protein rich meal, they aren't forbidden...BUT we still think you'll do better without them and think there are better choices!

I can't better what Renee has already said about green smoothies in answer to someone else wanting to know if they were discouraged just because they took less energy to consume.

No, it just violates many if not all of the good food principles. M&D have also got a lot of testimonies of folks not seeing great benefits when they keep smoothies in the mix.

Also, in my opinion, they also goes against what I consider to be an often ignored, but equally important part of the W30, which is sitting down with your food and taking time to enjoy your meal. I think this practice, of changing habits, is a big key to success with this program.

SO, if having a smoothie with breakfast is going to keep you from diving into a plate full of danish....as long as the ingredients are on plan, and you include them in part of an otherwise protein rich meal, they aren't forbidden...BUT we still think you'll do better without them and think there are better choices!

Wonderful advice from a wonderful mod; and of course, massive kudos to our VP of Awesome Kirsteen for posting. I hadn't read that reply before, but that's better said than I ever could muster. :wub:

I gave up my green smoothies for my first whole 30 and I'm doing my third whole30 now and have yet to have one.

My skin likes them very much. I have mixed feelings about not having them several times weekly - whole30 or not.

I don't really "like" the taste, but I love how they make me feel and how my skin glows more.

After my first whole30 I added them back in but changed the way I consumed them. They used to be a breakfast or snack. Now I have some with a meal - so that I'm sitting down and chewing something along with. I just don't have to chew as long as I would if it were a ginormous salad. I get bored of chewing.

I remember Renee's advice that Kirsteen mentioned... it resonated and made a lot of sense. I definitely think about that and it changed the way I consume green smoothies.

I have a smoothie 3 times a week. My husband and daughter are doing this with me and they can't eat eggs and struggle with veggies that early, so I make smoothies to switch it up for them and get the veggies in them early. I always prepare a protein with it and we do sit down together. I don't have a sugar dragon and don't eat fruit at other times, so it works for us. I don't care for fruit anyway, so a smoothie is probably the only way i would consume it.

If eating 3 bunches of parsley is what you are going for, why not a Whole30 tabbouleh? Melissa Joulwan has an excellent one-- http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/2012/07/02/gluten-free-paleo-tabbouleh/ This is what I would totally do if I were you. Especially if you are not drinking your smoothie all at once. This way it is 'real' food, not a drink, and you will need to chew it up. JMHO. There is a good reason why smoothies are not Whole30 approved.

Archived