Cholesterol jumped up after 1 week on plan!

cayenne

Kinda freaking out a bit here-had my cholesterol taken after 1 week on the plan and it went up 40 points(LDL as well). I am a bit concerned as I have NEVER had high cholesterol before and wondering if it is due to the eggs I am eating. Don't eat red meat.

Comments please......I am now day 17 and don't want to have further health issues. Is this diet related regarding this new plan or prior not so great eating habits. Does one week on the plan raise it that much????

Did you have it taken right before day 1 and then on day 8? What were your eating habits prior to the whole30?

You also need to look at your triglycerides and HDL.

It is not the egg - I would look to your habits pre-whole30. Just an opinion.

• Moderators

One test and one test based upon 8 days tells you almost nothing. Testing is a lot less reliable than most doctors suggest it is. Serious scientists know better, but that level of thinking does not make it to many medical practices and almost never is communicated to patients.

What you eat makes a negligible contribution to your blood cholesterol levels. Most of the cholesterol in your blood is manufactured by your liver. And you need cholesterol. Most of your brain is made of cholesterol. That said, my overall cholesterol went up after 6 months of eating the Whole30 way. However, my doctor was happy because my HDL (good cholesterol) levels went up a lot and my triglycerides (bad fats in my blood) went down to very low levels. And at the time, I was eating about 4 eggs per day/28 eggs per week. :)

One more thing: Thoughtful doctors are increasingly taking note that lowering cholesterol levels may not have any influence on lowering risk of heart attacks. The drug companies emphasize the benefits to heart health from lowering cholesterol, but the science does not confirm the song they are singing. Here is an interesting article on the topic from a physician in the UK that writes a lot of stuff that I find informative: http://www.drbriffa.com/2013/02/28/are-we-soon-to-see-a-relaxing-in-cholesterol-guidelines/

To add to what Tom said, lipid tests can be off by 40 points in either direction from one test to another. you really need a scatter plot of values to know what's going on...

but, like tom said again, blood lipid levels aren't really the be all end all of biomarkers of health and disease. It's just one piece of the puzzle.

Thanks for the replies....I have never had issues prior so I am/was a bit concerned. I had been on the plan for 5 days so I thought, like blood sugar, you could see results of diet fairly quickly. I am really asking what time period the test would cover? 1 month before, 3 months before or 1 week before? I know A1C # is a 3 month test of BS-don't know what is true of cholesterol. I feel better overall so I would like to continue with at least being 90% compliant even after the 30 days.

are you losing weight? Not weighing, obviously,...but does is seem like you might be? I ask because I know weight loss can cause an increase in serum cholesterol levels as fat stores are mobilized. This is temporary, and nothing to worry about. Just a thought. Generally I wouldn't freak out, and I would look at all the numbers in context over a little longer period of time.

Archived