Day 6 cravings ...

In the middle of Day 6 and feeling pretty good so far. Days 3 and 4 were definitely "Kill All Things" days for me ... but I am feeling happier and excited that I have made it this far in the program. But today I am struggling with the desire to snack. I will have a cup of tea and consider eating more at meal time ... but honestly I don't feel that it's hunger ... I am just dealing with my sugar dragon and getting off of the roller coaster of eating crap and snacking all day long. This is the hard part ...

I am also trying to break up with my scale. I keep wanting to sneak a peek, but I know it is silly. Has anyone else done a weigh-in after 1 week just to see? I am doing this program with weight-loss in mind and would like some sort of check-in. But I have been weight obsessed in the past and am trying to overcome it.

please please don't do a 1 week weigh in. I found that, for me, I didn't feel much change until the last 1/2 of the last week. (I didn't weigh, but my clothes felt the same). this is even more important if you are weight obsessed. I am super weight obsessed and really have to stop worrying about it. I am done with my whole(100) and still do not allow myself on the scale just because I would love to know. I may weigh once a month but honestly I need to stop this habit.

I wanted to snack, too (I still struggle with this) but I know it has nothing to do wtih physical hunger...sounds like you are doing amazing with just being honest with this part and seeing it for what it's worth!

Hi, you know.... same here, day#6 and despite overweight (40 pounds) I came here in order to stablish a sustainable healthy relationship with food.

I cannot provide a positive advice on this as I'm anxious for step into a scale too.

Good luck !

The number on the scale cannot show you how healthy you are or how happy you are. Get rid of your scale. It will be the best thing you can do for your weight loss goal. You don't ever need that number to find out how much progress you are making. You know by how you feel and how your clothes fit. Seriously, don't make that mistake of stepping on a scale. If you're feeling good and see physical change, that is all you'll need to know this is working for you.

I broke the rules and did not give up my scale until mid-week 2. I dropped 5 pounds the first weekend and was ecstatic. Then...nothing. For a full week. I started getting really upset, wanting to cut back on what I was eating, feeling like a failure. That's why I moved it to the garage after that. Because I really wanted to just focus on my new diet, not my weight. It was actually nice to not look at that number every morning. Try to put it out of your mind!

Thank you all for the support! It is so great to find this website and to have so much positive influence! :wub:

I realized that I really did need a snack and had raw carrots with tahinni for the first time. At first I wasn't sure I liked it, but it grew on me! That got me through the afternoon. I will continue to work on my meal portions and see how I feel about snacking.

I will resist the urge to weigh myself as I realize that this process is soooo much more than a number. I really need to heal my relationship with food.

At this point (day 27) my biggest craving is to step on the scale! But I will resist! (My clothes are looser and more then a few comments about my face looking different will suffice ...until Wednesday! )

I've been "lucky"in the cravings for food department, ( I'm pretty confident I am fat adapted)... I have zero cravings...( except to stand on a scale...old definitions of success are hard to let go of! ) I think because I discovered bulletproof coffee, (the paleo answer to creamy coffee.. and an effective way to aid in becoming fat adapted), I don't buy snacks and I don't eat snacks

(specifically nuts) because of my grazing (eating without thinking ) nature ...

and I troubleshooted my whole30.

After a few very hungry days my first week, especially mid morning

( and turning to fruit between meals) I got advice and upped my portions to the high end

(. Closer to 2 palms of protein ... i need less now.) , and made my veggies ( which I love anyway) as savory as possible using as much fat as possible ( following the meal template) ie roasted asparagus,roasted brussell sprouts with balsamic vinegar reduction) roasted sweet potatoes, carrots and parsnips, spinach salad topped with poached eggs

( yum!), creamy cauliflower soup., and zucchini noodles (Well fed.) My current obsession ..( the book and the noodles) . etc, and the between meal "need" to nosh disappeared.

I also think it helps to not think of this as a diet, (weight loss plan) chances are your brain ...

which you have put on a diet in the past...believes less is more, fat makes you fat, to be successful you have to suffer or feel deprived and feeling satisfied equals failure. And our brains will try very, very hard be right! And so it "makes" you follow the old diet rules (choosing the lowest calorie/lowest fat veggies and meats, eating egg whites, minimizing fat, being afraid of avocados etc.) So follow the plan. your brain is wrong! Cheer every time you add coconut oil to a frying pan allow yourself to feel satisfied. and ENJOY the process, And good things will happen!

Thanks Bethann! I have been increasing my meal portions and indulging in healthy fats (avocado, coconut oil, and homemade mayo) with greater frequency. It is hard to allow myself as much of the healthy fats as the plan allows as I had previoulsy used such a low-fat diet for so long. It is so hard to wrap my brain around the idea of eating more fat - I know it makes sense, but that is what is driving me to the scale. My brain wants to check, "is this for real'?? But it is getting easier, the scale has been banished to my closet, and I am happily on Day 7. Thanks for the tips! :)

Archived