Starting reintroductions

annabel

Glad to be done with my 30 days, I almost caved last night and ended a few hours early. I'm applying for some graduate jobs and stressed out, I don't even know why I decided to apply for graduate jobs (I graduated in 2000), but the other work and study options are just depressing. All the study options that aren't expensive (i.e. funded by the government) involve numeracy and literacy modules, which are a huge waste of time for me. At least it's May, so I reckon my competition is less intense, as hopefully anyone decently qualified went through this process over 6 months ago.

Cheese

I added the teeniest bits of cheddar cheese to my omelette, a few leftover scraps from my husband's lunch and I had a gurgly stomach for the next hour.

I just had a small piece of peach & raspberry wensleydale and I can feel pressure behind my nose. No stomach noises yet.

congratulations on finishing! I'm on day 26 so 3 more days to go - I'm finishing on 29 as we had the offer of a babysitter on Sat night so taking the opportunity to go out for dinner. As a result my re-introduction will be bit big bang so not ideal but then I've also struggled with digestive issues during the W30 so not entirely sure if I would be able to tell the difference,

So I shall be watching with interest to see how someone doing it properly gets on!

PS I graduated in 2000 too. Hope the job search goes well.

Thanks for the job search good wishes. I wish that I hadn't been such a slacker with the job hunting since I moved here and had at least done something to progress towards a career. Oh well, at least I have a variety of life experiences. :)

I've struggled with digestive issues too during my W30, but at least it's not five times a day anymore. I finally saw the gastroenterologist and she wants to test me for lactose intolerance and do a colonoscopy for coeliac.

While I have great plans to do the reintroductions right, I really fancy some millionaire's shortbread. Obviously, I'm not very good at riding my own bike and I need more of an all or nothing approach.

Congrats on finishing! I was sorely tempted last night, too, to end a few hours early. I'm kind of scared to start reintros and have the wheels fall off my bike. I hope the job search goes well!

I tried some yogurt and ice cream yesterday as well. No problems with the yogurt, but the ice cream was a definite no. I slept really poorly last night, woke up at about 4:00 (hmm, maybe 8:30 is too late to be eating food) and then couldn't fall back asleep for ages. But again, it's hard to say if it's the dairy or just having a lot on my mind.

I passed yesterday's telephone interview, so the next step is an Assessment Centre day, and I have nothing to wear, so I'm spending this morning trying to figure out what shops sell professional women's clothes. I'm so very much not a shopper, which is why my house still looks unlived in after three years. And I can think of nothing worse than going shopping on bank holiday weekend, but I've no idea what sort of time frame I'm looking at here.

I've decided that the only question for my reintroductions right now will be: "does this make me feel really poorly or cause immediate bowel issues?" And then I'll do another W30 later this summer to gauge more minute reactions.

We did end up buying a scale, my husband wants to monitor his weight (he can eat chocolate, cake and crisps all day and still lose weight) now that he's upped his marathon training. And I seem to be losing all the weight that I didn't lose during the first half of my W30, which is really good motivation to keep eating this way :)

Congrats on finishing! I was sorely tempted last night, too, to end a few hours early. I'm kind of scared to start reintros and have the wheels fall off my bike. I hope the job search goes well!

Me three. I really wanted a glass of wine outside at our little restaurant/wine bar on the way home from the playground. It was so nice out and everyone was in a good mood, the outside tables were full of families and my husband was home early. Then my cauliflower was full of bugs and I almost made brown rice. But I stuck it out.

Great work guys!

YAY on finishing! I think the last couple days are the hardest. I ate cheese for 4 or 5 days, had a couple reactions I didn't connect with it, but when I took it out? I felt SO amazing I was shocked. this was the worst news in the world, but I have found some goat cheese is ok...

Annabel - Do you think it was the sugar in the ice cream and not the dairy? Sugar at night makes me not sleep well. Not that it stopped me too often... I think that's an error in the reintro plan. We shouldn't eat ice cream to test dairy because we can't know if it's the dairy or the sugar bomb. Maybe wait a couple days for the sugar to get out of your system and try the yogurt again. I'm going to start reintros soon, so I'll be watching to see how you do it to get tips. :)

Pjena, but I wanted the ice cream. :)

I really need to focus on the meal template again, so back to three meals a day and no snacks allowed.

Breakfast: 3 scrambled eggs, spinach, peppers, mushroom, zucchini, 1/2 avocado

Lunch: zucchini noodles w/ spag bol (sauce from a jar that's been in the cupboard for months, so a bit of sugar in that, but nothing else naughty)

Dinner: salad and whatever I can find in the shop

Tomorrow is gluten re-intro, but not till I'm done with my clothes shopping. I haven't even thought about what gluten foods to try... hmmm, French toast maybe, I haven't had that in years. (no maple syrup though, I only like that horrible fake stuff and I haven't been able to justify buying that for at least 15 years)

I'm with you - follow the template. I stepped off my bike with nuts soaked in sugar. Not a great choice and certainly not a "reintroduction".

French toast sounds wonderful! Triscuits, too. Those were my favorite!

Pjena, I'd forgotten all about triscuits, I used to love those. I haven't had one in at least 10 years and I don't even know if they sell something similar here.

Actually, I think that the inability to get things makes doing a W30 easier. No point having twinkie cravings if they're totally inaccessible. And I haven't lived here long enough to have desperate cravings for hobnobs or dairy milk.

Well, I couldn't find any bread without loads of rubbish and didn't have time to get anywhere that sells "real bread" so no French toast.

Breakfast: 2 hard-boiled eggs, apple, sunbutter. (Meal template, I know.... poor time management when trying to squeeze my run in before going into town)

Lunch: panini at a café... it wasn't particularly nice, a bit on the dry side and I ended up picking out most of the filling from the second half. Despite only having half a sandwich, I found the meal almost uncomfortably filling. No reactions of any sort from the bread.

Dinner: 50g of pasta w/ spag bol (spaghetti Bolognese) and kale. An hour or two I had about half of a nkd bar and realised it was the one with peanuts and oats in it. oops. Probably about an hour after that my stomach started making those horrible rumbling noises again. (One of my original reasons for looking at food intolerances was these stomach noises, I'm not in any pain from them and they don't lead to a trip to the bathroom, my stomach is just really noisy) Of course, no way to know if it was a reaction from the pasta or the peanuts/oats.

So, that's how not to reintroduce food.

And then I slept for about ten hours last night... hmm, I reintroduced dairy and couldn't sleep and then reintroduced gluten and needed extra sleep.

I'm glad that the panini didn't cause me any immediate issues, as I have an all day interview thing in London coming up in mid-May and I'm not sure what will be on offer for lunch.

I'm not going to reintroduce anything else until after my interview and plan to eat a less strict W30 (with potatoes, honey, sugar) starting tomorrow. (I plan to drink some cider at the pub today). I like the way that I feel right now and don't want to deal with any of the uncertainties involved with other foods.

I've never heard of triscuits so I think you will be safe here!

I had bread, wine and sticky toffee pudding with ice cream with my meal last night so can safely say that I did not follow the re-introduction guidelines. I was incredibly bloated and slept very badly, waking at 3am with cold sweats. I have got straight back on the W30 wagon today - I am hoping to be as compliant as possible outside of eating out but taking each day as it comes.

Good luck with the interview and the trip to London.

So, that's how not to reintroduce food.

Had to laugh. I think this phase is harder than the actual W30. It's so tempting to eat multiple off plan foods and so hard to be disciplined about eating one at a time!

Good luck with your interview.

Monday

B: 3 eggs with zucchini, mushroom and 1/2 avocado.

L: gammon w/ pineapple, egg and chips

D: chicken stir-fry w/ a bit of rice.

We spent the afternoon at the pub today, sat out in the sun in shorts. Nice to see a bit of decent weather here and this is the first bank holiday since I quit my job at the multinational tax avoiding coffee company and I really enjoyed having the day off and being able to make a spur of the moment trip to the pub.

Had 2 pints of Strongbow, but avoided the ice cream, crisps and chocolate. Unfortunately my cupboards are absolutely bare, thus the rice with dinner. Luckily both the fruit & veg shop and the butchers are only about a 5 minute walk away or I'd be in trouble for tomorrow.

Thanks everyone for the well wishes for my interview.

Archived