Veggies at Breakfast

AprilLynne

Hi - I need help with ideas for getting veggies at breakfast. For years my breakfasts have consisted of a rotation of scrambled eggs or an omlete with sautéed veggies, just eggs, pancakes and waffles and cereal. Now that the later choices are off limits, I am finding I am tiring of my scrambles and omletes, and eating just eggs doesn't give me my veggies.

Any creative, simple ways to get my veggies in you can share???

• Moderators

This has been asked before, you can google Whole30 breakfast vegetables to find past discussions.

In general, it's helpful to remember that you don't have to have some particular type of food for breakfast, you can have any food that you would have at any other meal -- so leftovers are an easy breakfast. Some people find thinking in terms of Meal 1, Meal 2, and Meal 3, rather than Breakfast, Lunch, and Supper to be helpful.

I personally like soup for breakfast sometimes, especially a blended, creamy soup (I usually make one with roasted butternut squash and cauliflower, with coconut milk to make it creamy) but you can make any kind that you like.. There's also Breakfast salad -- I take this basic idea and add zucchini or yellow squash (raw), and grated carrots, and sometimes snap peas, and I usually don't put quite as much fruit. I make up enough for several days at a time. Velvety Butternut Squash is good hot or cold. This past week, I'd chopped up a head of cabbage and would saute it with salt, pepper, and garlic powder, then add some precooked chicken or sausage and scramble a couple of eggs in it, that was good. Sweet potato hash is always good. 

• 1 month later...

I like to take some bacon, chop it up, then render the fat in a skillet, then once it's the way I like it (extra crispy!) I add sliced brussels sprouts. The way I do them is I hold them by the base (core/stem end) and then make 1/8" slices. The leaves fall away from the core and make sort of ribbons that cook quickly. I sautee it all together until the brussels sprouts are tender. Green onions or shallots are also a great addition, i add them at the same time as the brussels sprouts. I top them with 3 eggs fried over medium with runny yolkes. I also love asparagus with eggs. I've also been known to have leftovers for breakfast, especially pot roast with carrots and tostones. when I was strict AIP, when I couldn't have eggs, I would make my own sausage (ground pork, fresh sage, cinnamon, mace, salt, garlic) and brown it. I'd take cubed japanese yams (white flesh, dark purpleish-maroon skin) and roast them for 20 minutes to get them soft, then add some to the sausage with shallots and kale. 

• Moderators

I particularly adore grated/shredded sweet potato and/or rutabaga fried up in a hot skillet with a little onion, chili powder, salt and Hungarian Paprika. Any spices you like will work. Coconut oil is my favorite fat to cook it in. Often I add in some meat/chicken too, and a couple of handfuls of baby spinach near the end. Top with an egg or two.

Basically I take whatever veggies are left over from the past couple of days, toss them in a skillet with coconut oil or ghee until they're hot, scramble some eggs and top with whatever sauce is left over (sometimes gravy, coconut milk or butternut squash sauce). It doesn't always sound appealing first thing in the morning, but once I sit down and start eating, it really hits the spot. It is perfect on those If-I-Have-To-Eat-Breakfast-Hash-Again-I'm-Going-To-Scream days. Leftover spaghetti squash is also awesome in the mornings because its flavor is mild enough to mix with just about anything.

Archived