Dear Melissa: Whole30 Pet

jdharna

Dear Melissa,

I have three beautiful kitties and am currently doing my first Whole30.  

I've read and listened to "It Starts With Food," and I'm currently reading Robb Wolf's "The Paleo Solution."  

I'm reading labels with heightened scrutiny, and this includes the labels on pet food!

Here's the rub: I can't find any pet food that would be Whole30 compliant.  A few come close, but all have at least one objectionable item: carrageenan, grain, starch, etc. 

I'd like some help identifying some pet-tested and pet-loved Whole30 compliant pet food. In my case, I have cats, but I'm sure there are a multitude of Whole30-ers out there with dogs, too. 

Please help.

Your friend in health,

Julia Dharna

• Administrators

You can also cook for your cats if you wanted to.  I have an 80# boxer and she gets her meals cooked because the commercial kibble that we had access to (even the grain free stuff) was destroying her skin and digestive system.  Gracie gets cooked ground pork, baked sweet potato and rice (I know, not Whole30 but she doesn't care).  We supplement with ground up egg shells for calcium (and we go through a LOT of eggs), Omega 3, turmeric and ACV.  I'm not sure what supps a cat would need but I think you can buy huge cans of canned fish at Costco and then just add in something for a bit of carbs?

ultrarunnergirl, I have located a boutique pet store just a few miles from my home that sells Primal Pet Foods!  

@leahcarn, do you mail order the Feline Natural?  I'm having trouble finding a brick-and-mortar store (even a store locator on their website) for Feline Natural.

ladyshanny, I like the idea of giving my cats raw eggs and egg shells and human canned chicken and fish from Costco.  The only thing about that is I'm unsure how Costco sources the meat for these products.  This is a great idea, thanks!

This is all helpful. Thank you! 

I've been struggling with digestive issues with one of my cats so I buy chicken thighs or breasts and pork and cut it up into chunks and freeze it in 2-3 oz portions that I defrost and feed her 2-3 times a day. I also mix in a can of sardines or anchovies from time to time. It has helped her a lot. My other cat I'm feeding a grain free kibble. I might switch her over to the meat at some point too to see if I can her to lose some weight but the volume of chopping for one cat is all I can handle right now. ;)

Physibeth, make sure you include lots of beef heart and lamd heart meat, cats need taurine. If you also make 10%-15% of the fed amount non-heart organ (half liver half kidney is good), and some bone (do anchovies have bone?), and you have a balanced menu right there.

My pet shop stocks feline natural, but if you email the company they should be able to tell you where you can get it

Physibeth, make sure you include lots of beef heart and lamd heart meat, cats need taurine. If you also make 10%-15% of the fed amount non-heart organ (half liver half kidney is good), and some bone (do anchovies have bone?), and you have a balanced menu right there.

My pet shop stocks feline natural, but if you email the company they should be able to tell you where you can get it

I'm easing into that stuff. She is finally starting to gain some weight again and have more normal bowel movements. The fish are whole so they have bones. She is an old cat (15.5) and has eaten conventional food most of her life so we are both easing into this process. I hope to add some organ meats to both of our diets more frequently soon. I know I should eventually be able to give her more whole pieces of meat, but I'm nervous to do so because of her age.

• 2 years later...

For the lovers of cats. It's always about the cats, the cats, the cats.

LGO.jpg  

Cats eat grass to aid digestion and it rids his system of fur. cat hug smiley

Cats like to leave some food in their dish because cats don't like their whiskers bent back to reach the bottom of the dish.

Cats meow to humans. With other cats...they'll purr, hiss or spit. :P

Cats cannot detect sweetness in food.

Cats' jaws cannot move from side to side.

What a life the cat has. 

Food at the ready.

A snooze in the sun.

There's always someone to run and jump for the cat. Fetching the fresh water, refilling the food and extra special treats for doing absolutely nothing.

Let's see if we can train the cat for Search and Rescue said no one ever. 

A dog has an owner.  The cat has a staff.  cat smiley

@MeadowLily  I now own a number of very expensive, very lovely, very shallow stainless steel bowls because they are supposed to reduce "whisker fatigue." :)

I do note that Moo, the stray cat I feed on my back porch, never seems to suffer from whisker fatigue and eats gratefully from a regular china bowl.  And the backyard garden animals always mysteriously clear the bowl during the night. 

17 minutes ago, MeadowLily said:

Do you have wascally wabbits and raccoons? 

Image result for photos raccoons eating cat food

Rabbits. Raccoons. Possums. Squirrels. Hawks. And "mystery animal(s)" who make odd noises in the dark late at night. All in a tiny urban fenced backyard. I take a live and let live approach. If Z cat is inside at night he loves to watch the garden in the dark--the kitty equivalent of cable TV. 

1 hour ago, MeadowLily said:

Remember. Tonight.:ph34r: The previous ones are shown before the new one. Until then.  big smile2 smiley

No TV! But, I'll get the latest episode on Amazon Prime tomorrow, watch it (won't be available until the next day) and post back here. 

7 minutes ago, ArtFossil said:

No TV! But, I'll get the latest episode on Amazon Prime tomorrow, watch it (won't be available until the next day) and post back here. 

A.P. has shows like that. Huh. Didn't know that. Okay, well you can watch the previous ones at anytime. We have to get to the bottom of it. Two heads are better than one. :DIt's another Nancy Drew mystery, regardless if it's phony fakealoo or a tad of truth.  Where there's smoke there's fire, ancient paleo monsters.  I think they're 80/20 paleo because they like donuts and candy.

Archived