Offal experiences

Phanniemae

Hi! I've been to the farmers' market a few times with the intention of quizzing the ranchers on their offal (organ meat)... and always chicken out!

It seems like no one else is asking for this at our market, but that can't be true. The W9 article today was really helpful! Anyone else out there have personal experiences with offal?

Soooo. Good.

Derval, if you're going to struggle with anything, it's going to be with the texture. Having em fried like this the first time mostly eliminates that. LOVE fried livers!

They were good!

I made an adpated version of this

www.janssushibar.com/?p=14519

71de9dbafc0411e1a3b222000a1e9fb4_6.jpg

Those look amazing. Did you use the baking soda? Is that allowed? Can't wait to try them. I think I'll serve them with Jalapeno Hot sauce. YUM! Now to investigate where to get the best livers. I may have to go out to the farm where I get my pastured chickens.

Those look amazing. Did you use the baking soda? Is that allowed? Can't wait to try them. I think I'll serve them with Jalapeno Hot sauce. YUM! Now to investigate where to get the best livers. I may have to go out to the farm where I get my pastured chickens.

I soaked them in a mix of egg, coconut milk & water.

Then I made a mix of arrowroot, ground almonds, paprika, salt & pepper and coated them in that & fried em up in ghee.

I just made pate with the ones I didn't crumb - non w30 as I used marsala & butter. But pleased how it turned out. All this from a pack of livers that cost €0.75!

I soaked them in a mix of egg, coconut milk & water.

Then I made a mix of arrowroot, ground almonds, paprika, salt & pepper and coated them in that & fried em up in ghee.

I just made pate with the ones I didn't crumb - non w30 as I used marsala & butter. But pleased how it turned out. All this from a pack of livers that cost €0.75!

Yum! Making that as soon as I find the fresh as can be livers. :)

Oooo...speaking of Pate. I have a great recipe for chopped liver that if I remember correctly, is totally compliant. Of course, I will probably stuff celery since the saltines are out. :) I'll use my homemade mayo and chicken schmaltz from my Kookoolan pastured chicken.

Ooh just came across a recipe - fillet steak on top of a pate filled flat mushroom - how good does that sound??

Is chopped liver like pate?

OOoo...that sounds good. Yes, it's similar to pate. It's basically Jewish pate. Here's the recipe...I'm to lazy to make it in a wooden chopping bowl so I whiz it up in my Cuisinart (don't tell Jean Ruppa :) ).

Mean Jean's Famous Chopper Lived (she's not really mean and yes, we call it chopper lived on purpose because my friend Betsy called it that when she was little :) )

2 T Chicken Fat

1/2 lb chicken livers

1.5 cups celery chopped fine

1.5 cups onions chopped

1 clove minced garlic

2 hard boiled eggs

1/4 tsp basil

1/8 tsp oregano

4 shakes Lawry's Season Salt (just use what you'd like to use)

1-2 tsp mayo (doesn't sound like enough but I haven't made it in years)

Melt chicken fat. Saute livers, celery, onion and garlic over med high heat. Add seasonings. Cook well until livers are cooked through. Add chopped HB eggs. Chop, chop, chop (or buzz buzz buzz) and add mayo. Add salt if needed. Chop to smooth, spreadable texture.

Archived