Pastry Chef on a Whole30

So here's the thing--I completed my first Whole30 back in September 2014. And I absolutely loved it!! I'm a pastry chef who works full time in a chocolate shop/coffee shop/pastry shop. Let me tell you--it was NOT easy. But I did it and I'm so proud of accomplishing it!! I'm currently on my second Whole30 because I've been needing to remember how wonderful I felt and have been missing my "tiger blood". 

Here's my question--While I did my Whole30 according to the rules in almost every aspect, there's one thing that I couldn't do by the rules. My job requires me to taste test what I'm making to double check that flavor profiles, etc are correct. I really don't trust anyone else to do this for me, as it's my work and my name being put out there. So does my first Whole30 count?? I only taste test when necessary and the smallest amount possible, but I do have to taste chocolate, buttercream, cake batter, etc. So even though it's only a small amount of sugar at a time, it will certainly add up working full time in a pastry kitchen. 

Would love some feedback and thoughts on if my Whole30 counted or if it's not a true Whole30. 

Thanks!!

Andrea

• Moderators

I'm going to move this to Troubleshooting for a better fit and maybe you'll get more views so people can answer.

We have had a lot of chefs and pastry chefs do Whole30 and taste their food, they just spit it out... Can you do that?  

We have had a lot of chefs and pastry chefs do Whole30 and taste their food, they just spit it out... Can you do that?

My former boss (an observant Muslim) would do that during Ramadan while cooking for the family since she's fasting during the day when she'd be cooking.

• Moderators

My former boss (an observant Muslim) would do that during Ramadan while cooking for the family since she's fasting during the day when she'd be cooking.

Yes, we've heard of that coming up on here too... definitely a Whole 30 is doable, even in these less common situations :)

Archived