Start Date June 26th

Happy Oiler Lisa

Hi all,  Starting on June 26 too!   This will be my second W30, although I didn't do the food checking at the end of the last one so didn't get the learning there.    

For this W30  I'd like to make it work in my everyday world! ;) In the first one I cooked up a veritable storm and bought cookbooks (W30 recommended of course!)   like they were going out of fashion!  A lot of the meals I made I didn't really like but hey  I ate them.  I would love to make this W30 my down-to-earth-grass-roots-me-version and find my personal mojo in the W30 mix.  

I remain hopeful and confident of enjoying the 30 days! And my quote for the temptation times will be from the Lion King - "Danger?  I laugh in the face of danger! Ha ha ha!!!"   Let's do this! :D 

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi guys! Day 1 is monday the 26th for me. Looking forward to it immensely. Have done Paleo for 3 weeks and loved ut but then went on holiday and it all fell apart due to bad planning so am dreading the 'carb flu' 

just waiting for my shopping to arrive then its a big cook/prep up for the week. All meals are planned and the OH is with me 80% so that makes things easier too. Only got to make his bad lunches (sandwiches) and his bad sides to go with my healthy dinners. 

I am starting my first Whole 30 today. Resisted my obsessive daily hop on the scale this morning. Will finish prepping for the week today and listen to meditation music to get me over the temptation times. Happy to have a group to follow for these 30 days!

It Is Sunday so it is cook up day for me. 

Chicken breasts were on sale yesterday so I'll bake off a batch of those. I may need some fresh mayo. Cut  up veggies, rice some cauliflower, cook some sweet potato and boom. Less than an hour.

Hi, will jump in here if it is ok. Will be R3 for me and R2 for my hubby. We both have medical concerns, weight , cholesterol and BP for me and Diabetes , insulin dependence and liver disease along with weight for hubby. Made a huge difference for both of us, especially him. Did not think I would ever get him to stop eating so much bread a day. His A1c was 9.8 and went to 7.5 after 1 round. He also had chronic diarhear which completely stopped with the reset. But we did not get rid of our sugar craving altogether

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Linsay said:

Did anyone try making the mayonnaise recipe? I tried and it was too liquidy; tried a "fix" and still not right.

Google 'whole30 mayo fail' and you'll get loads of threads with advice, tips and tricks for mayo.

20 hours ago, nicky05 said:

Starting on June 26th also. I have planned my first few meals and will do grocery shopping and prep tomorrow. I have tried the whole30 before without success and am really hoping this time will be different. 

Any tips would be appreciated. I have struggled with disordered eating and am really hoping this will take the stress out of eating and allow me to achieve some food freedom. 

Welcome Nicky05, best advice is follow the rules. Compliance, portions/composition, and eating times are key. Preparation and having what you need when you need it is also key. Not allowed in Whole30, excuses, rationalizations or cop outs. You are in charge, so make it happen. We're behind you all the way!

Enjoy the ride.

"With regard to healing the sick, I will devise and order for them the best diet, according to my judgment and means; and I will take care that they suffer no hurt or damage."   Hippocrates

2 hours ago, Linsay said:

Did anyone try making the mayonnaise recipe? I tried and it was too liquidy; tried a "fix" and still not right.

Put only 1 Tbsp of oil at the bottom of the blender jar or immersion tube, the egg yolk and the salt. Pulse 2 or 3 times 2 second pulses, add the vinegar/lemon juice and pulse 2 more seconds. with a squirt bottle or small measuring cup, SLOWLY and constantly drizzle in the remaining oil as you run the blender on high. DONE 40 seconds tops.

"With regard to healing the sick, I will devise and order for them the best diet, according to my judgment and means; and I will take care that they suffer no hurt or damage."   Hippocrates

2 hours ago, Linsay said:

Lindsay, I have a no fail from Mel Joulwan.  Take a ball jar and put one egg, 2 tablespoons lemon juice 1 tsp dry mustard, about 1/2 tsp salt or to taste.  Dump one cup of light tasting Olive oil in and then, using an immersion blender, whirl it up.  Takes maybe about a minute really. 

Use the recipe in "well fed weeknights".

X

Grocery shopping and batch cooking happened today. I made chicken sausage patties and I have a pork shoulder I'm going to do in the slow cooker to make carnitas (In lettuce cups, of course!) for dinner. Lunch is portobello mushroom with ground pork and tomato sauce. 

I feel as ready as I can be, I guess. :)

Hope everyone is having a nice Sunday. 

1 hour ago, nicky05 said:

Grocery shopping and batch cooking happened today. I made chicken sausage patties and I have a pork shoulder I'm going to do in the slow cooker to make carnitas (In lettuce cups, of course!) for dinner. Lunch is portobello mushroom with ground pork and tomato sauce. 

I feel as ready as I can be, I guess. :)

Hope everyone is having a nice Sunday. 

I am actually.  Salmon for dinner tonight with some roasted green beans?. Winner winner wild fish dinner!

My cook is done for the week. Broccoli rabe with EVOO pine nuts and garlic. Escarole with shallots and herbs in bacon fat. Steamed white turnips and parsnips with salt pepper and ghee. Instant pot pork shoulder with carrots and onions, coconut aminos, Red Boat fish sauce and shitake powder, cooked for 12 hours. Dry ages grass fed beef ribeye, flank and shirt, hardwood grilled with EVOO, Himalayan sea salt and fresh cracked pepper. Roasted lemon and herb chicken thighs. Uncured beef sujuk and fingerling potatoes with beef tallow and black pepper. Roasted cauliflower, broccoli, zucchini and fennel. Sautéed egg vegetables, red and green bell pepper, onion, baby bella mushrooms, pastured lard and EVOO, seasoned with cumin, chipotle, and chile powders. Lots of SALT< Pepper and Garlic on everthing always. and if it's too dry, extra fat of choice is added.

Going to be a good week

58 minutes ago, CookyMagoo said:

My cook is done for the week. Broccoli rabe with EVOO pine nuts and garlic. Escarole with shallots and herbs in bacon fat. Steamed white turnips and parsnips with salt pepper and ghee. Instant pot pork shoulder with carrots and onions, coconut aminos, Red Boat fish sauce and shitake powder, cooked for 12 hours. Dry ages grass fed beef ribeye, flank and shirt, hardwood grilled with EVOO, Himalayan sea salt and fresh cracked pepper. Roasted lemon and herb chicken thighs. Uncured beef sujuk and fingerling potatoes with beef tallow and black pepper. Roasted cauliflower, broccoli, zucchini and fennel. Sautéed egg vegetables, red and green bell pepper, onion, baby bella mushrooms, pastured lard and EVOO, seasoned with cumin, chipotle, and chile powders. Lots of SALT< Pepper and Garlic on everthing always. and if it's too dry, extra fat of choice is added.

Going to be a good week

Shitake powder?

• Moderators
24 minutes ago, tinman57 said:

Shitake powder?

I'm not the OP but I regularily use Italian Porcini Mushroom powder in my stirfries... it adds such a nice umami flavor and is totally compliant!  I get mine from a local store here in town, but the brand I buy is Cote d'Azur so you could see if you can find that in your area... :)

3 hours ago, tinman57 said:

I have a no fail from Mel Joulwan.  

Use the recipe in "well fed weeknights".

X

This is the best mayo recipe ever and seems to never fail.  I've even pottered around with the ingredients adding more lemon juice etc and it works.  I dump all ingredients and use an immersion blender.  

Well I think I'm off to a flying start with grilled chicken thighs (dusted in paprika, garlic  and chilli powder) and a batch of steamed veg tossed in ghee, onion powder and garlic powder - I could have added fresh garlic but I was in a hurry.  Plus I have lots of salad stuff and homemade mayo to add variety.  So I've got my quick go to meals. Yaayyy!   I also bought some frozen steam fresh veg which are nice tossed in ghee and s&p. in case of emergencies. 

To make this work for me I want to focus on my habits as well so I'm giving up eating in front of the telly - Noooooooo :o which will need some secret superpower I haven't discovered yet!!  This will be a huge change.....like fall off a cliff big...like drag me kicking and screaming away from my telly and put me at a boring table big. (and yes I know the music, people, dress up the table stuff.)  Anywho that's one big change.  I will take my superglue for the chair and maybe do some mindful, gratitude eating ritual that I have yet to develop but I think it will be a good direction for me. ;)

As well I'd like to focus this round on really listening to my body and moving away from the obsessions (like all of them cultural, social, personal, familial...historical..nonsensical...well you get the picture.)  So I did not weigh myself today on day one and I actually tossed my pedometer that I've worn for years (it was always disappointed in me anyway for hardly ever reaching the 10,000 step mark).  So I am now in the twilight zone.....and my aims are to listen to my body when it speaks to me in it's own quiet way for the next 30 days.  I also want to just move more in my life, freely, without motive or endless fitness or weight loss goals, just to move more and enjoy moving over the next 30 days.  For 30 days I'll do it my way with no headspace attached just enjoyment. :)  That's the plan folks.  I enjoy walking, rebounding, a hopeless disjointed style of yoga that borders on comedic, and I bought a hula hoop that maybe I will master in 30 days! (ha!) 

Anyway I've blabbed on but I wanted to put it down for myself and keep myself heading in a good direction.  For me it's starts with the food (pun intended) but it's also about the WHOLE 30 which I'm taking to be the whole me this time not just what I put in my mouth.

Good luck everyone!  We got this! :D

39 minutes ago, tinman57 said:

Shitake powder?

I grind them myself from a good brand I buy at a local Asian market. Asian Markets=fresh unusual produce, some compliant condiment offerings and an overall interesting shop. 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, CookyMagoo said:

I grind them myself from a good brand I buy at a local Asian market. Asian Markets=fresh unusual produce, some compliant condiment offerings and an overall interesting shop. 

OH good one!  We have an amazing Asian grocery here called T&T... I always forget about them but they have incredible produce and dried foods.... Do you buy them dried or fresh and dry them yourself?  And then you just throw the dried ones in a food processor or?? I need to know more! ;)

44 minutes ago, SugarcubeOD said:

OH good one!  We have an amazing Asian grocery here called T&T... I always forget about them but they have incredible produce and dried foods.... Do you buy them dried or fresh and dry them yourself?  And then you just throw the dried ones in a food processor or?? I need to know more! ;)

I buy the sliced dried ones and grind them first in my cuisinart and then in the coffee grinder to get it very fine. 

I was hoping I would find a group to do a second round with.  I did my first whole30 in June and need a second round, as I see room that I can do better on.  On my first round I ate more nut butters than usual. I also didn't eat pre/post workout as well as I could of and am wanting to tune up that area.

4 hours ago, CookyMagoo said:

Asian and middle eastern markets!

I'm starting Whole30 on Monday 06/26/2017. 

A few stats:

- 30 year old female

- sedentary job (office/clerical)

- moderately active (joined gym in March, do weight training sets 3 times weekly; no real cardio plan)

- caffeine and refined-sweetener sensitivity: causes stomach pain, nausea, reflux, gas, diarrhea

- no other known/confirmed food sensitivities or allergies, but have ongoing digestive issues which seem tied to food (reflux, stomach pain, nausea)

- history of disordered eating, cycles of binging and restricting

- history of episodes of idiopathic joint pain (negative for arthritis, CFS, fibromyalgia, etc)

- history of environmental and seasonal allergies (pollens, molds, mildew) and symptoms thereof (congestion, wheezing, itchy eyes/nose/ears/throat)

- currently about 60% mentally well; can be safe and can function, but tend towards anxiety (esp. social anxiety) and depressive episodes (have medicated previously but not currently medicated), especially tied to food and food issues (see previous note re: eating disorders)

For me, my primary goal for the Whole30 is to understand and practice self-care. I want to take care of this body so that it will last me another 60+ years. I want to understand, love, and appreciate all of myself, body and mind. I want to feel in control of my feelings and actions, and I want to learn how to take care of myself in all ways, not just my feeding myself. 

Secondarily, I would like to understand and resolve any other underlying food sensitivities my body may have. I think I may have a problem with grains (and not exclusively gluten - rice seems to be very problematic when I eat it) and legumes; I also think I may have a problem with food texture agents (carageenan) and other "substitute" food ingredients (monk fruit extract, stevia, etc). 

Archived