Anyone order a bulk meat before? Tips?

kitmao

I'm taking the plunge and getting my first half hog this month. Its pastured from a farm I've bought meat from many, many times. Signing up to get it, I felt like I was being talked to in a foreign language. I don't understand meat processing. Next I have to call a butcher and tell them what cuts I want and what I want cured, etc..

Has anyone here ever gotten a hog before (or understands the cuts of a hog)? I'm not a big cured meats type of person, so are there other ways you can use the part that would normally become ham, for instance? What about organ meats (or other typically thrown away parts) on a pig - what can you use? Or, if you've got any suggestions from your experience, I'm all ears!

I'm super excited to be getting pastured pork for so cheap.

we buy ours by the whole hog...our rancher also owns the local small processing butchery....they supply us a recommended cut list that will help us decide what we want....after a few years this is what we often get....

a bunch of ground pork-made form areas of wasteage from other cuts -delicious and nice and fatty

a bunch of rib chops, pork chops some bone in some not.

a few picnic roasts, shoulder, and butts-great bbq pieces, and crockpot recipe pieces for carnitas, pulled pork etc.

country ribs are rib cuts without bones-very tasty and can be used for a lot of recipes

Ribs ribs ribs for sure

If you talk to a butcher they also can recommend some cuts that they like that aren't popular. We usually get ham and cure it ourselves or smoke it, we get plenty of ground pork to make sausage ( some butchers will do this for you as well)

if you have access to the ears and feet those are great for bone broths and other stocks.

if they can make you sugar free thick but bacon that is awesome, and also pork belly. Finally if you aren't nervous about it ask for some of the larger cut to leave the skin on or ask for skin....fried cripsy pig skin is heaven on earth.

We try to use as much of the animal as we can and anything we don't use we leave with the butcher to sell or use for themselves.

YOu are going to love being able to customize your order and each time you buy you get better at knowing what you want. We have ours packaged in 1lb packs for ground pork, chops two to a pack, ribs are one rack to a pack, and the larger roasts and butts range from 2-7 lbs so we have a variety based on who and what we are cooking for.

Sorry that was a little long...but I figured more info the better and we have learned a lot doing this a few times.

Enjoy!

I have just gone in on a pig a sheep and 1/2 a cow...mmm cow.

As for cuts we got roasting cuts for all 3, chops and cutlets, mince, bones for soup and lots of steaks.

I was quite trusting and said "whatever you give me I will work out a way to use it" which has been interesting in finding recipes for 1/2 a pigs head, trotters and such but I am enjoying having lots of tasty meat on hand.

Thanks for the advice!! I've been researching this as well, but it is really helpful to hear from someone who does this!

I can't wait until we can get a 1/2 cow.... but, we're going to need another freezer for that. I know beef cuts a little better than pork, I'm realizing.

We order bulk meats from farmers we find listed on Home Grown Cow. Farm direct meat is the best tasting meats around, and often much much cheaper. We've been ordering farm direct meats in bulk for years, and have always been given great advice by the processors on which cuts to order. Enjoy this new adventure in meat sourcing. You're likely to never buy in a grocery store again!

Oh, yes, our deep freezer is almost empty. Just a few jars of homemade ketchup and applesauce. I'm sure its big enough for a half pig, but probably not much more!

I've only talked to the farmer to put in the order, so next I'll have to speak with the butcher. I know what you're saying, Sharon, about curing. That makes me nervous to not know exactly what is in my food and frankly I don't really care to have sugared meats. Plus, to not have any of the meat cured makes it that much cheaper!

• 2 weeks later...

I brought up the idea of buying half a cow with our tax return to my husband and his answer was... "what if there's a power outage?". Not that it happens all that often, but the idea of all that money going down the tubes freaks me out. San Diego had a full day outage a couple of years ago...what's your plan for your meat if you lose power? Talk me out of worrying about it!

We live in a rural area and lose power a lot! Last year for numerous days at a time. A chest freezer gets soo cold, especially when full, that even 24 hours without power you will see little defrost.... As long as you keep the lid shut and it is somewhere out of direct sunlight/ heat. We had a seven day outage about a year ago and got by without losing anything fine the first two days and the. After that we ran it on a generator for just a few hours a day to keep it fresh and cold. They are soo efficient and well insulated you would be surprised. Key is to not open it!

Archived