Best not to drink your food. Coconut milk* is fine in coffee or tea, but generally you want to be getting used to drinking water, home made flavored water (lemon wedges, mint, etc) .

*Added - Coconut milk to me means the thick high fat, tasty stuff that comes in a can or for a few brands, a tetrapak. That junk in the carton I call coconut "drink". It's not fit to drink for health or flavor. Yuck.

• Moderators

None of the milks that come in a carton are acceptable during a Whole30. They contain preservatives that you should avoid. Coconut milk in a can with guar gum is okay. Rice milk is out because it is made with rice and rice is out. And it is best to avoid drinking any milk during your Whole30 because doing so keeps you tied to your old way of eating.

Give goat milk a try. Most people do much better with this than traditional milk. Like Kayell said, best not to drink your food so try and pick up goat milk yogurt. If doing the whole30 I would avoid it but it may be a good option once to done to re-introduce and see how you feel with it. The benefits of goat milk far out way those of traditional milk in terms of gut healt. So if you tolerate it give it a shot (little cinnamon) tastes great

I'd try the canned coconut milk -- especially because if it's going straight into coffee, the thicker consistency shouldn't pose too much of an issue. Personally, I used my Whole30 as an opportunity to reconnect with my love of black coffee. I used to ALWAYS drink black coffee, and I'd just drifted from that over the past few years.

Post whole30 i've had mixed results with dairy. I love cheese but for me it's a food with no brakes and I can't stop eating it then things aren't pretty. I can however tolerate a little cream in my coffee well but I've switched to a little grassfed butter or clarified grass fed butter blended into my coffee instead. Sounds a little strange until you try it...it's quite good. On whole30, I did clarified butter in my coffee just about everyday and it's great. It will even froth and lighten your coffee like cream.

Post whole30 i've had mixed results with dairy. I love cheese but for me it's a food with no brakes and I can't stop eating it then things aren't pretty. I can however tolerate a little cream in my coffee well but I've switched to a little grassfed butter or clarified grass fed butter blended into my coffee instead. Sounds a little strange until you try it...it's quite good. On whole30, I did clarified butter in my coffee just about everyday and it's great. It will even froth and lighten your coffee like cream.

Do you have to blend in the ghee with a blender? I'm not able to picture how it works...I keep coming up with greasy... ;) Do tell!

I tried it and it is delicious! Thanks! Ghee has Vitamin D and K2, so not only is this good tasting, it's nutritious. I watched a video of someone using a frother. I may try that when I am on the road as I have a battery-operated frother.

I put the hot coffee and the ghee in a mason jar and whip it with my stick blender. It doesn't take long to froth up like a latte.

I probably won't be able to afford to do this every day. Ghee is expensive...

I put the hot coffee and the ghee in a mason jar and whip it with my stick blender. It doesn't take long to froth up like a latte.

I probably won't be able to afford to do this every day. Ghee is expensive...

Hmm. The ghee I have has a distinct flavor. I might try this with a higher quality brand. What's your ratio of coffee to ghee?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

Archived