How to choose a Doctor (PCP) that understands my dietary choices

I am not sure if this is the correct forum, but it looks like it is one possible place to post this topic.

I am currently in the middle of day 22 of my whole30 challenge. This is quite an accomplishment for me as a chronic lover of potato chips and hater of vegetables. That said, I am confident I will knock out these last 8 days at the least.

I have decided that I want to continue a similar diet and exercise routine that I have been following throughout my whole30 (perhaps with some carefully thought over reintroduction's), but it has also been too long since I have been in for a proper physical/checkup with a PCP doc.

My issue is that despite being overweight for many years, I have never had any real health problems (I have to watch my BP, but I have been able to keep it on the high end of normal with exercise and yoyo dieting). I really have no affiliation with a doc that I feel close to or trusting of.

Now that I have learned so much more about food and how it effects my body, I want to work with a doctor who also appreciated the healing power of diet, and will work with me to at least try out dietary modifications prior to just giving me an Rx and sending me on my way.

On to my question...

Can anyone recommend a specialty/subtype/certification/something that I can look for while evaluating potential Primary Care docs to look for ones more likely to agree with or at least understand this thinking about systemic problems (inflammation, etc) coming from food choices?

Any advice you have in pointing me in the right direction would be VERY appreciated. Thanks so much!

Tom. What a great question and kudos on your Day 22. What you're asking for is unusual in the allopathic (traditional western) medical profession, namely a doc who embraces preventative and especially nutrition-related treatment modalities. It does happen—my wife sees a fairly famous endocrinologist who is also a huge proponent of diet to treat autoimmune disorder but he's a rare bird. According to a study by the University of North Carolina of 100 medical schools, only about a quarter of them met the minimum requirement of 25 hours of nutrition instruction, down from just 40 percent six years earlier.

Osteopaths or Homeopaths may be where to look—we got 'em in spades out here on the Left Coast, don't know about where you're at. Other than that I'd just ask around within your network—sometimes docs who have a tendency to prescribe fewer drugs get a reputation and they might be the ones more likely to look to your diet first and the standard formulary next. Finding one that also embraces Paleo? If you find that one let me know, I'll go to him/her myself.

There is something on the tip of my tongue. Is it Integrated Medicine? I have seen Renee talk about it so hopefully she'll see this. They are medical docs who involve the patient much more and tend to see food as playing an important part. I think Robb Wolf was putting together a list, but I have not seen it yet.

I think the best you're going to get is being part of the Paleo Physician's Network: http://paleophysiciansnetwork.com/

The other option is to do some interviewing. The PPN is still in its infancy, so there are definitely some PCPs out there that either a) don't know it exists, or B) aren't officially "paleo" but are still open to working with you based on what you feel is best for you.

The other option is checking in with a naturopath or a functional medicine doc...but some of them can be a little foofy (that's a technical term, dontcha know)

So yeah, trial and error! Ask questions! Don't settle!

If I change doctors again, I am going to choose a functional medicine practitioner who is also an MD or DO. You might see who is available in your area through this link: http://www.functiona...rch.aspx?id=117

Thanks for this. Lady M has a functional med dr and it sounds like an excellent experience. I am also in the market for a new dr. I've been hesitant to choose someone who charges upwards of $250 for a consultation, as they all seem to do--and of course none of the "alternative" doctors (at least around here) take insurance. So that's a very pricey trial and error type situation.

Functional medicine that's it. Not integrated medicine. :rolleyes:

ETA: I just looked and my oh my do I have a ton of them close to me. A few within one mile. AND when I click on their names, it says "Integrated Medicine" so I am not as loony as I thought. :blink:

Archived