Primal Fuel or Visalus?

Me again, sorry for the onslaught of questions.

I realize that smoothies and protein powders are NOT part of the Whole30, but I'm not doing the Whole30 at the moment - just transitioning into a mostly-paleo, grain-free, high-fat, low-carb eating for now. (Like that description?)

So my question is this - when considering the best meal replacement (I can hear you all cringing), what's my best bet? I've done some research into the Visalus shakes and the Primal Fuel shakes. Primal fuel are higher fat, higher calorie and higher sugar, but Visalus almost seems TOO low calorie (90 per serving).

Any insight?

Thanks again.

Are you adverse to mixing your own? I tend to DIY smoothies with some combo of frozen fruit+hemp protein+nut butter or ground flaxseed. I prefer doing that because it lets me tweak for exactly what I want nutritionally.

Actually I'm totally into making my own smoothies, but up until reading "It Starts With Food" my smoothie recipe was as follows:

Strawberries (about 3-4)

Blueberries (handful)

1/2 Banana

Spoonful of frozen yogurt

Milk

Soy Protein Powder

Obviously the milk, soy protein powder and frozen yogurt are out. And it seems like even that might be a little too fruit-heavy (ie. too much sugar).

What protein powders are paleo-friendly? I've never tried hemp protein before but I'm curious...

Have you read It Starts with Food? Its a really fabulous resource for understanding what various ingredients do and can help you make decisions post-W30. Pre-W30 I had a smoothie every morning (I used a Vega product, which is a mix of rice, pea, hemp and chia protein. The one I used is sweetened with inulin), but I always had a nagging feeling that it was just as processed as "processed food." My turkey, broccoli, avocado, sweet potato breakfasts feel better. Maybe try it for a bit?

If you are intent on incorporating a protein powder, I would skip "Primal Fuel" which is whey protein sweetened with three or four different sweeteners and Visalus, which is a mix of soy and whey (and tons of sweeteners), and look for something simple with approved ingredients. Maybe you would do well with a plain egg protein? But again, I would start with eating eggs and see if that works first before moving to a powdered "food"

OOPS! edit: I see you have read the book...so yeah, you know it is a great resource already. that's probably why you are here :)

• Moderators

The Whole30 forum is dedicated to... the Whole30. Discussions of the best meal replacements and protein powders does not belong on this forum because the Whole30 is all about real food. The topics discussed at Mark's Daily Apple are "broader" than here, so you might want to visit http://www.marksdail...forum/forum.php to investigate protein powders.

Archived