Epic Protein Bars

Amy

According to Dr Google, lactic acid starter is either from milk, beets or corn. No clue if its okay, but it isnt on the prohibited list.

Have you looked at Primal Pacs? They are W30 approved. They arent bars but they make a good emergency snack.

• 3 weeks later...

I trekked downtown to the Gourmet Garage to find them. I got two of each flavor -- I finished my W30 yesterday so Bison is OK -- and have so far I tried the beef one. It's...interesting. The primal pacs are OK but I don't love them and was mad when one package went moldy after a few days  :angry:  So this seemed like a good alternative for pre- or post-workout nutrition - not as a meal replacement!

I've only had the Beef flavor so far. They are kind of the texture of larabars without being sweet or sticky.

These were actually mentioned in another post a few weeks ago, and I was intrigued so emailed the company. They replied within a few hours and were really nice. Unfortunately they can't ship internationally yet, so I can't try them. I'm imagining they're a bit jerky-ish in flavour?

I think these are excellent.  I came across them a few weeks ago and have since ordered about 5 boxes from them.  You are correct that the Bison bar is non-compliant for the purposes of the whole30 due to the small amount of sugar that is used, however I think you would be ok to consume it outside of the whole30 program since it's really only a trace amount.  

You have tried the beef, so I won't comment on it (I quite like it).  But I was really pleasantly surprised by the turkey bar.  Dried turkey just doesn't sound very appetizing to me, but I was quite happy with it.  

All of the bars have been moist and have just just the right amount of flavor.  They have been a life saver at 5am when I need a pre workout snack that has some protein but isn't a leftover or something less appetizing.   Also as a late afternoon snack at work or on the weekends when i am out of the house somewhere, since they are individually wrapped, they are easy to carry around.

If you are still undecided, order the 3 bar variety trial pack and see what you think.  I have ordered twice from them, and both times my boxes arrived within a couple of days, very fast shipping.  

Plus I think the wrappers and boxes are pretty cool looking.  

A friend tried a bite of my turkey bar and she LOVED it and wants to buy a whole box - after one bite! I think they are probably the best food option you can hope to get in bar form, but I'm not over the moon for them. Maybe the Bison will turn me around. :)

• 1 year later...

My favorite Epic Energy Bar is the lamb, moister than the Turkey.  100% grass fed.   You can get them from REI, but they seem to be disappearing - hurry up and ask for some, maybe they will keep it stocked.  10 g protein, gluten free.  140 cals, 70 fat cals.  Sodium 230mg, carb 9g, fiber 1g.  Ingredients list:

Lamb bar - Organic Lamb, Organic Currants, Sea Salt, Lactic Acid * (* not from milk), Celery Powder, Spices (Basil, Marjoram, Oregano, Rosemary, Red Pepper, Black Pepper), Sesame Seeds, Dehydrated Spearmint, Dehydrated Lemon Peel.

Turkey bar - Turkey, Almonds, Dried Cranberries (Cranberries, Apple Juice Concentrate), Lactic Acid* (*not from milk), Seasoning (Coriander, Cumin, Nutmeg, Red Pepper, Dehydrated Garlic, Paprika, Dehydrated Onion), Salt, Celery Powder.

Archived