Hard candy?!

Hi all! Now that I got your attention with the sugar in the title I hope you will help me.

My Dad starts his chemo treatment very soon. Even after I've convinced my parents to get off grains, dairy, legumes and processed food, sometimes I am struggling with explaining doctor's advice or making appropriate substitute.

So, doctor said to keep a bag of sugar-free (dooooh) hard candy in case of nausea. If anyone can think of any suitable sub for this - I would be endlessly grateful.

I've never had chemo, but I've had other cancer treatments that create profound nausea. I took ginger capsules to help me (3 or 4 at a time). Perhaps he can take them before the chemo starts before the nausea really hits? I also found relief from really ice cold lemon/plain water - small, slow sips. Sugar free hard candy always made me more nauseous and regular hard candy always made my mouth icky and dry. But honestly, if a little hard candy provides some much-needed relief, I would let it go. All the best to you and your father.

Thank you so much! I am collecting all the information from "been there" people before he starts, so I can make it easier for him. What's a ginger capsules?

Ginger capsules are capsules with powdered ginger root in them - only ginger. You can get them at any drugstore or health food store, in the vitamin/supplement section. They are a fairly inexpensive too. The brand I like best is Nature's Bounty but there are others out there. If you try it, I would recommend one that's only ginger plus the capsule. I've come across a few cheaper brands that have ginger with some other fillers.

Awesome, he likes ginger. I will give it a try as I see him tomorrow. I was thinking making fruit leathers, but it's not the same I guess.

Now I have to deal with doctors saying to drink protein powder and avoid red meat. My thought is tonna of broth. Red meat is not going anywhere.

I second the ginger, and I think capsules are better than anything he can taste. I went through a period of intense nausea where someone suggested ginger...it worked, but after the ginger candies and ginger drops in my water and ginger powder on random foods for 1-2 weeks, I grew to hate the taste and smell! Maybe I associated it with the nausea, I don't know...still don't care for it though, and it's been 15+ years.

I second the ginger capsules, I used them a lot on chemo. I also found ginger tea quite soothing and I used the travel sickness wrist bands. to be honest sometimes the nausea was so bad I'd to stay on meds for it and it was a question of trying several to find one that really worked. I avoided the drinks the hospital wanted me to take as they're either milk based (I hadn't heard of W30 in those days but was already dairy free) or absolutely loaded with sugar. I did, however, juice a lot. sometimes when I really couldn't face food I'd juice loads of greens and beetroot and throw in an apple or two and live on that - not ideal but I kept it down. If I was to do it over again I think I'd add loads of bone broth, I'd never really heard of it then.

Good luck and all the best to your father, chemo can be a bit grim but it is survivable

Kirsteen, thank you so much. Sorry for the belated response. Ginger didn't work. Broth doesn't work. He was able to eat raw veggies and my mayo. What are your go-to smoothies recipes?

One more thing. All his doctors say that he can't eat meat and I am going like a broken record that he has to eat protein. I know that it's the conventional medicine...but what if. I am lost, you can tell.

Appreciate any input.

Peppermint tea, ginger and lemongrass tea.

The anti-nausea ginger tablets here have been re-labelled as morning sickness tablets, if anyone is having trouble finding them, the local chemist was quite annoyed at this as some men won't buy the bright pink bottle. The ginger is much stronger than you would get just eating it.

Maybe also try some frozen or cold things?

Archived