Help! Did I go wrong? And if not, why I feel so bad?

I'm on day 19 and I feel terrible...This third week is exhausting and I'm so angry that I am not fully enjoying my whole 30. While my first week was great, second very good (with a little more hazelnuts than necessary), despite I started this third week totally committed to eat less nuts and work out more, I've been defeated on both sides.

I skipped my Wednesday workout this week, and I don't know if my meal plan is still ok.

Yesterday was:

1 egg with spinach, 2 tbsp of coconut milk and some shredded coconut on the top, cooked a little bit of coconut oil (1 tsp maybe), 1/4 of avocado with evoo (1 tsp), salt and pepper

tuna steak (about 4-6 oz) cooked with coconut oil (1 tbsp)

1/2 cup spinach

1 cup cherry tomatoes, 1/4 avocado, 1/2 tbsp evoo salad

half coconut (it was a small coconut but still)

half coconut (I feel so guilty...)

three meatballs (homemade with pork, turkey, carrots, onion, evoo and garlic)

mashed cauliflower with coconut milk (1/4 can)

This morning I felt sick, first digestive issue since I started. I felt a terrible nausea and gagging, and I still felt meatballs in my stomach.

I had just some ginger lemon tea sweetened with some apple juice.

Then I started feeling hungry after two hours from waking up, and I had a breakfast scramble made with

3 tbsp coconut flour, 2 oz coconut milk, 1 apple, 13 crushed almonds, 2 eggs, 2 tsp organic tahina and sprinkled with cinnamon.

I ate it all, and now I feel sick again....

where did I go wrong? what should I eat for the rest of the day? Did I eat way too many fats?

P.S. sorry for the length of this!

I would guess that the coconut might be the culprit for the indigestion. Also it looks to me like you might not be eating enough protein or enough vegetables (not including coconut here) in general to support your body and your exercise. But I hope a more experienced person or a mod weighs in on this post for you. Hang in there!

Some people have issues with coconut, some just with coconut meat. So that might account for your nausea. Also almond flour has as much phytic acid as wheat and can disrupt your belly. That much almond flour is the same as eating many many almonds. Maybe you have physiological issues with nuts.

A couple other thoughts.

1. A lot of people are still struggling at Day 19. It depends on what you were eating before and what kind of healing your body needs to do--but many people do not feel good till the last few days or day. (I personally never felt amazing all day long, but I'm coming from sleep deprivation and a badly damaged gut.)

2. Your best chance of feeling good, and experiencing the benefits of the w30, is to follow the template.

You need more protein at breakfast. One egg is not enough. Eggs: as many as you can hold in your hand. Most ppl do better eating meat/fish vs just eggs. And not less but more fat. Also: more veg. Your second breakfast is not close to the template--which is essentially a palm-sized portion of protein surrounded by a plate of veggies with a healthy dose of fat.

Template: http://whole9life.co...ng-Template.pdf

Hope you feel better.

I'm so relieved to hear that I'm not overeating fats! I struggled with a eating disorder for years in the past, so eating fats for me is always a little bit "scary", and my mom is so impressed by the quantity of oil I'm having since I started the whole 30 (I used to have very little....)

I felt so good during the first week (and I slept so well and so much) that I thought that maybe my whole 30 would have been perfect. Actually, this is my first "sick" day in 19, and I should be glad...I normally have more vegetable than I had yesterday, more healthy oil, and more protein, too. I didn't think that one day not completely close to the template would have been so problematic.

I never had coconut or nut problems before, but maybe I overate nuts in general yesterday.

The good news is that my heartburn (I had it for years and it disappeared at the first day of w30) is still gone.

I think I'll have some hearty chicken soup today...it should be good for my stomach, shouldn't it?

• Moderators

Your fat portions sound fine to me, but I agree that more protein and more veggies are important.

Feeling sluggish and uncomfortably full after a meal-template-size meal raises the question of digestion problems. If eating fat is relatively new for you, you may have some digestion problems with fat. Many people benefit from taking a digestive enzyme like Now Foods Super Enzymes for a while to help their guts develop what they need to digest fat and protein.

You're not the only one, whitershade. I think we started the same day, and I've been having a hard time too, but not particularly with the food, I don't think. Just overall I have no energy and feel tired all the time, and often kind of depressed and irritable. I love the food and don't feel deprived, though as my mood goes south or I get stressed at work I resort to snacking - grass-fed beef jerky, coconut chips, or coconut manna out of the jar. Not huge amounts, but I know not ideal for W30.

Schedule-wise I've had a hard time getting my workouts in, which might have something to do with my lack of energy. When I DID workout I had very good ones, with more strength than usual, but felt less enthusiastic about them. Like I don't WANT to work out as much (the low-energy thing) and am not as motivated to get to the gym though I know it would do me good.

I do try to eat a lot of protein and fat at every meal. I normally have an avocado a day, unless I ran out of ripe ones, and put homemade olive oil mayonnaise on almost everything. I never feel HUNGRY, just tired. I try to hold out hope that I'll be seeing amazing benefits at some point, especially since the first week went really well, but it seems like the longer I go, I just feel lousier which is the opposite of what most people say...

On day 15 I gave up my 1 cup of 5:30 am coffee. A day or two later I was exhausted. I've never responded to giving up coffee so I think it was just th three week slump. It lasted 7 days. I was bone weary, take a 90 minute walk in the morning and have to lay around the rest of the day kind of weary. When it ended my energy was back.

Food, other than the template doesn't help. It just gives the body more work to do. Put up a mental sign....healing happening here. And just do your best to get through it.

I had to let go of nuts the first week. Digestive sluggish. Coconut the third week because I looked pregnant. Be honest about th signals your body gives you and let go of what doesn't work for you.

I'm on Day 32 and feeling great. Good luck!

I had to let go of nuts the first week. Digestive sluggish. Coconut the third week because I looked pregnant. Be honest about th signals your body gives you and let go of what doesn't work for you.

I'm on Day 32 and feeling great. Good luck!

I noticed yesterday that my stomach was protruding more than normal (like prenant looking).  Is that a normal thing?  I've been eating probably too many nuts.  Maybe I'll cut them.

I noticed yesterday that my stomach was protruding more than normal (like prenant looking).  Is that a normal thing?  I've been eating probably too many nuts.  Maybe I'll cut them.

I don't think our tummy is supposed to protrude. When my food is ultra clean with nothing irritating me, my stomach is flat. Nuts me me bloat if eaten hand to mouth. Sad but true. I'm better with using nuts in a recipe, like green beans with a few sliced almonds. I will reintroduce and try that at some point.

It cant hurt to cut thm nd see if you notice a difference.

Archived