Day 8- still miserable

I am starting day 8 and I am miserable. My digestive system is royally pissed off at me. It is so bad that 4 out of the past 6 days I have been stuck at home. I am a mom of 3 and I am employed. Someone PLEASE tell me how to fix this!

I'm sorry you are having a rough time.  I am only on day 9 but it wasn't until today that I started feeling remotely human.  I am on my first W30 so am no expert but, you could try incorporating fermented foods and kombucha into your diet to help with the digestive issues.  Magnesium seems to be pretty much a cure all as well, make sure you are getting enough.  Drink lots and LOTS of water, it will not only keep you hydrated but will help move toxins along through your body.  I like to drink chamomile tea with fresh grated ginger after each meal to help settle my tummy.  I have always been very "regular" and this week has been crazy, I feel like all I do it cook, eat, and poop.  I have faith things will get better for me AND for you. 

Hopefully someone else will chime in with other advise but I would focus on restoring good bacteria to your gut and settling that tummy.  Hang in there!

-Liz

It floors me that removing foods, and eating only healthy, whole foods can do this to us!

I am still bloated and gassy after almost 50 days (3 of them non-compliant) Whole30.  I must be pretty messed up inside...

Wendi, you might get more specific replies if you provide a few details. What is a typical day's meals for you? How were you eating before you started the W30? Do you take any supplements like digestive enzymes or probiotics? Do you have any other health issues/concerns that might be related?

50 days??? Have you done anything to try to alleviate your bloating/gas?

I eat kimchi, drink probiotic and try to avoid certain foods.  It isn't an every day event, but my belly was definitely flatter when I was Paleo and not Whole30.  I do wonder if one of the foods I am eating more of now is the culprit or if my sugar detox is just that severe.  I literally was an addict.  Not having any sugar for 46 of 50 days is great (I accidentally had some hidden sugar today in a spicy chicken and had a hot flash within 30 minutes!).  Yeast overgrowth and fighting yeast is a good thing to investigate in my case.

I'm off to research fighting yeast beyond removing sugar.

Regardless, my thoughts are clearer, my moods are better, and I definitely feel that a fog has lifted.   I will work hard not to go back to my sugar habit.

JJB, you beat me to it.  I was going to ask Wendi, have you been eating anything that you didn't used to eat?  For instance, were coconut products a part of your diet before starting?  Possibly you are having a bad reaction to something on top of your digestion freaking out because of the changes. 

Letting us know what you eat in an average day will help us give a bit more insight. 

Fermented foods - Kombucha, Kimchi, SaurKraut will help but go a bit easy on them in the begining as they may cause even more discomfort initially.  Also It may help if you take a digestive enzyme to get things going.

Nuts - although they are indeed compliant, go easy on them.  I know many who repost discomfort and bloating from eating to many of them (I am one of them) They also will bind me up for a good 24 to 48 hours.

Also as someone posted above - coconut products may cause some grief for some.  If you are avoiding FODMAPS coconut products are on this list.  For me I have noted some issues with coconut milk but not with coconut oil.

All in all hang in there.  everyone works a bit differently.  Initially in the begining eating some sweet potato helped things move along but later on I have noticed that it doesn't help me like fermented foods do. I know it took me 2 weeks of whole 30 before everything sorted itself out properly.  Be a little patient with your body as it sorts itself out.

Good luck!

Today is my day 8 as well. This was by far the hardest day I have had on a Whole 30. I discovered today that I am definitely an emotional eater. I had a very stressful day and to top it off I did not sleep well at all waking up every three hours last night. My stomach was gurgling and I felt awful. I managed to survive tonight but am drinking my natural calm tonight hoping to sleep a full eight hours. The bloating and gas i am suffering seems to be manageable but when does the real energy and joy start to kick in. Right now it is just uncomfortable but I am going to introduce the sauerkraut tomorrow. Any suggestions on getting through another emotional challenge coupled with digestive discomfort are greatly appreciated.

Thank you everyone. I did use coconut before hand. Just in the oil form. That is all I am using it in now. I have not tried the coconut milk yet. It cold be nuts, since I didn't eat them consistently beforehand. I am eating sweet potato most days. I know this will sound rediculous, but I am NOT a veggie lover. So I have been trying to eat as many as I can choke down, but not nearly as many as my husband.

Dinner example: chicken with tomatoes, roasted zucchini, couple of bites of lettuce and 1/3 cup applesauce

I absolutely can not eat kimchee or any fermented veggies. I can hardly handle the smell. More power to you for that :)

Feeling better today (day 9), but still had a rough morning.

I'd say nuts for now, if it is food related.   Could just be your flora trying desperately to balance!  If you were a sugar-fiend like me, who knows what state of yeast overgrowth you have going on (I think that a large part of my issue).

Actually, Wendi, did you ever explain what "digestive system is totally pissed off" actually means, symptom-wise?  Sorry if I missed that...

Just one other quick comment - you may want to stay away from raw veggies for a little bit and see if that helps.  It is easier to digest cooked veggies.

Also, try experimenting with different cooking methods and veggies to find ways to increase the amount of veggies that you are eating.  I LOVE roasting veggies - especially carrots, brocolli, and brussel sprouts.  I roast brocolli with olive oil and sea salt until it starts to crisp on top.  The salty crunch helps me with my salt dragon.  ^_^

Archived