healthy eating = getting sicker, more-er? :)

hey guys - have a quick question to toss around here. full discloser: i am not currently doing a whole30, but have done 30 days and mini's previously.

my question is in regards to healthier eating and the immune system. you see, when i did my first whole30, i loved it. but 2 weeks in, i became incredibly sick, like the worst flu ever. i was tested for the flu but it came back negative. i also came down with a double ear infection, my first ever UTI, and an awful case of conjunctivitis. i've asked before, and everyone is totally skeptical that it was related to my diet, but i know it was. i "know" this because, at different times when i've gone off sugar for awhile, back comes the eye gunk and flu feelings. i totally believe in this lifestyle, but don't understand the whole sickness thing...and it's not just a few days...we're talking WEEKS where i feel like crap and have weird symptoms popping up.

i totally believe in this lifestyle, i just don't understand the whole idea behind getting totally sick in order to get healthy?

thanks!

jen

Jenny, it's common for the reverse to happen. If I'm eating squeaky clean and go on a sugar/wheat bender over the weekend, BAM! UTI will show up not too soon after that.

The way you're describing, though? not so much. It certainly will make you more sensitive to certain things that your body doesn't like (read: gluten, dairy proteins, etc), but as for the immune system? eating nutrient dense, high quality, non-inflammatory foods? Should do nothing but make your immune system stronger.

I'm sorry you're struggling!

I am on Day 78 of really clean eating....I have had different waves of sickness here and there and my naturopath says this is very common when your body starts getting the nutrients it needs it begins to be able to let go of the extra mucosal layers, the gunk, the toxins, etc....and when they are on their way out it can cause sickness.  If you go back to the SAD diet, often the symptoms go away...not because that is healthier but because your body is once again putting up defenses to fight off the gluten, etc......The only way to really know is to do this for a length of time to get everything out.  I know Whole30 isn't a 'detox' per say but I do believe the body starts to heal and healing can take long and sometimes get worse before better.

thanks for the replies. 

susan w. - i hear you. that's why it's been so bizarre. because i absolutely believe in whole foods eating, that principle will continue to guide my choices, but it's been a very strange experience. without having any evidence, even anecdotal, to fall back on, i've just been at a loss.

renee - that's what i've been saying! shouldn't i be healthier and healthier, getting sick less often? i am wondering if maybe i am just incredibly sensitive to more foods than i realized and the detox process looks uglier than normal. hmmm...

hojo - i've heard that, too. i guess it's just more intense than i thought it could be. 

thanks for the input :)

Archived