Mayo - HELP!

I need some help. I've made the Whole 9 receip for mayo several times, even doubling it.

This past weekend when I was attempting to show a friend how to make it, and we were tripling the recipe the emulsion broke down. During the process I could hear the change in the blender motor when the shift from liquid to semi-solid happened. When that happened I wasn't anywhere near putting the balance of the oil in.

So I thought it was the fact we were tripling. I had bought a new blender, so I tried again Sunday at home and doubling as I've done several times. Again, while in the slow phase of pouring the oil in, I heard the motor change and knew emoulsion was happening, and again I wasn't near done pouring the oil in.

I had the blender set on blend, not the lowest setting the lowest setting is stir

help!!! any ideas where this is going wrong?

thanks

I made a triple batch of the mayo last week (completely by accident-I mis-read the ingredients...I need to wear my reading glasses!).

I also found that the mixture started to emulsify well before I had used all the olive oil. Not sure what to do, I continued adding it and pulsed the hand mixer. Came out fine.

My problem has been that it's always too lemony. I've varied the amount of lemon juice, but can't seem to find that perfect balance.

• Moderators

My mayo normally starts to become solid before I finish pouring the oil in. I just keep going until I've added as much oil as I want.

When my emulsion has broken down (just once in dozens of makings), I added a little apple cider vinegar and kept running the food processor. The mayo developed nicely after a short time.

If you can't get things right at the time. Try putting what you have in the refrigerator and stirring it good later when it is cold. It might not become perfect, but you should be able to make tuna salad, etc. with it.

I'm not sure I understand the problem? You say the emulsion "broke down" but that it began to become a solid before the balance of the oil was poured in? If the emulsion breaks down, then you wind up with a gloppy separated mess, not a solid.

I think you might just be worrying where there's no need to worry. With more egg yolk, you have more protein to bind the fat, so it's going to bind faster. That doesn't mean you have to stop adding fat.

I think you might just be worrying where there's no need to worry. With more egg yolk, you have more protein to bind the fat, so it's going to bind faster. That doesn't mean you have to stop adding fat.

Yup, if it emulsifies early it isn't really an issue, you could continue to add fat (although there is a little risk it might break) or you could just stop adding fat and enjoy. Eggs are different sizes, so it makes sense that the amount of oil might vary.

I'm loving Nom Nom Paleo's recipe--it's a little smaller yield, and the mix of vinegar and lemon seems just right to me. EDIT: I just realized Nom Nom uses just a yolk. I've made this keeping everything the same except for one whole egg. works great.

http://nomnompaleo.c...-oil-mayonnaise

• 3 weeks later...

I made mayo for the first time today, and it actually worked! It was not thick enough for my preference, so I just kept adding oil until it thickened up, and did the trick. Yum!! I used Braggs apple cider vinegar instead of lemon juice.

I think the problem is that if it emulsifies early in a large batch in a weak blender, then you get a layer on top that isn't really moving as you attempt to add in the rest of the oil.

I always make the mayo with the whisk attachments on my hand mixer and I've never had a problem.

Linda, I can make a single batch of mayo perfect every time but if I double it it breaks down. It's so quick and easy that even if I have need for more, I just do it in separate batches. I don't know if it's user error or what on my part, I can do some pretty extreme things in the kitchen. But I can't make a double batch of mayo..... I don't have any words of wisdom for you except that you aren't the only one!

I've had mayo break but it's an easy fix. I whip another egg yolk in a second dish and add the broken mixture to it little by little (I like using my handheld egg beater with just one of the beaters attached) until it all comes together. No waste, no tears!

Archived