A paleo dietician comments on smoothies

Tom Denham

Currently trying to think of a tactful way to send this around to certain of my co-workers who think they're being healthy and aiding their diets by drinking green smoothies.

Thanks, Tom!

Great article.  The girls at my dance studio do these monthly green smoothie "cleanses" and I jumped on the bandwagon last month. NOT a good idea. My eyeballs were shaking from all the sugar I consumed. And the author brought up a good point.."Can you eat all of this food comfortably" if it wasn't blended?

Currently trying to think of a tactful way to send this around to certain of my co-workers who think they're being healthy and aiding their diets by drinking green smoothies.

Thanks, Tom!

I just sent the link to my co-workers who were bashing me yesterday for eating bacon while they sipped their smoothies :lol:

I bought a vitamix over the holidays to make smoothies full of spinach and fruit. Noticed I was super full for 30 minutes and then ready to raid the pantry! Luckily that phase didn't last. Glad I discovered BP Coffee! Now I can use my vitamix...

I was absolutely not tactful in anyway!  I sent it to a few of my girls who keep swearing that I will lose weight if only I juice or make smoothies.  Haha witches, 1 month of eating real food and I'm doing better than all y'all.  Sorry, that was mean spirited but really, don't raise your eyebrows at me when I disagree that you are doing something good for your body by shoving mass amounts of liquified veg and fruit matter devoid of any of the fiber that is good for you, into your body only to be starving an hour later.  And I am crazy for eating ghee and avocados at every meal?

Thanks for posting this link, Tom. It's interesting how attached people are to their smoothies!

Invariably, whenever I pose the "could you comfortably eat all that fruit &/or veg in one sitting" question, the respondent replies that of course they couldn't, but smoothies are healthy so that trumps any concerns.

It seems that smoothies are a variation of trying to sledgehammer a square peg into a round hole - technically healthy but missing the point.

I bought my second Vitamix in 2004 when I was a raw vegan. I Know I liked that plan because I was mainling sugar. Yes, I added greens but with all that fruit it didn't matter. I was still fat. I was right back to low carb after that adventure. Now my vitamix lives on a top shelf. Paleo is so much more sustainable.

I was absolutely not tactful in anyway!  I sent it to a few of my girls who keep swearing that I will lose weight if only I juice or make smoothies.  Haha witches, 1 month of eating real food and I'm doing better than all y'all.  Sorry, that was mean spirited but really, don't raise your eyebrows at me when I disagree that you are doing something good for your body by shoving mass amounts of liquified veg and fruit matter devoid of any of the fiber that is good for you, into your body only to be starving an hour later.  And I am crazy for eating ghee and avocados at every meal?

I have a neighbor who goes on these crash diets, some are juicing, some are raw, her current diet is kind of whole30 except she's cut out all meat but doesn't seem to be getting protein from any other sources... Oh and she has cheat days/meals too. I've told her a few times to check out the book and she likes to humor me and say she will (I can see right through her words). Recently I posted on facebook about how I am now able to drink my coffee black and I'm not really hating it. She made a comment how that's no good and she HAS to have her sweetener and creamer... I kind of just thought to myself "... and that's why I'm seeing results and you're not"... Its interesting the people I have encountered who, when I tell them the "elimination diet" that I'm doing, which ultimately leads to a lifestyle change in how & what I eat, they are almost condescending with how they respond, "well I couldn't give up all that stuff, I HAVE to have my (insert bad food here).". But oh well, to each their own. I know there's "more than one way to skin a cat", I've just found my own way.  :)

Oh wow, great read. My boyfriend's colleague is a cealiac, and has convinced himself that the best way for him to eat is by drinking smoothies. At every meal. He doesn't even like them. I should really send this to him, but I'll probably end up being "the Devil" or something.

Archived