• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rice and corn were fine, no major issues, although I do notice a headache this morning, similar to the day after I reintroduced gluten.

Now back to healthful Whole30 eating with occasional and carefully chosen offroading, and only when it's worth it or can't be avoided.

Thanks for the support, ladies!

Hard to believe July is over! I'm excited and dismayed about August. One big 4 day work trip with food landlines. One huge two week vacation in Europe at the end of the month. I'm glad the first trip will be in the bag by his time next week.

So for the work trip, any good suggestions on travel food that doesn't need a fridge? Breakfast is provided in the hotel. Free generally means total crap. I haven't tested dairy yet. I'm not going to test it knowing that I have to sit in a meeting room for 8 hours. Probably not wise. I can take a few Larabars since I'm not on a Whole Anything right now, but truthfully I don't care for th taste and I'm hungry 5 minutes later. I hate knowing tht there will be big candy bowls on every table. All.day.long! I'm so over candy as a treat when all it did was make me sick (obese). If I had the ability to fast, I would but I can't even manage IF.

I want a clean August. I want to stop before eating and decide if it's worth it and helps in my goal to defluff. I think I will copy this to my log.

Are we starting a clean August?

Are we starting a clean August?

I'd like that! I'd definitely participate. August is my first month not officially on a Whole##. I plan to base all meals on the template, even when out, and make darn sure any offroading or treats are worth it before I indulge.

Woohoo! All right, my husband and I are attending a wedding tomorrow evening, and we've laid down our ground rules:

1. No alcohol for me; sparkling water only.

2. Choose buffet options based on the template; no obvious dairy, gluten, or legume choices.

3. I may choose 1-2 dessert options IF they look good enough to warrant the bloating and headache I know will follow (my dress is loose, heh); also I'm fairly confident there will be gluten-free and/or dairy-free options available based on the couple and who is doing the dessert catering. And if I take a bite and it isn't wonderful, then I will take no more bites.

:)

Great wedding rules Malie! You can do it!

Here are the guidelines I've come up with for August as I posted in my personal log:

Food:

• -Sticking mostly to the whole30 template with some exceptions. Going to go back to using pasture butter rather than ghee. Going to allow for raw grass fed cheese and/or homemade yogurt from raw grass fed milk each day. Dairy is part of the fertility protocol that I would like to start following.
  • -Make an effort to take 2 cod liver oil/butter blend capsules before each meal.
  • -Try to get liver into my diet weekly.
  • -Try to get 1-2 cups of bone broth in daily (I don't like to drink it so going to have to find some summer soups).

Exercise:

• -Continue with my half marathon training program.
  • -2x a week BodyPump (none until next Thursday because the GGX studio is closed for floor work...boo!)
  • -Try to be more purposeful about getting up from my desk and walking once an hour.

House/Life Stuff:

• -I'm going to attempt to follow Clean Mama's cleaning schedule this month: http://www.cleanmama...g-calendar.html I've tried in the past but gotten behind and given up. Going to try again allowing for a catch up day on Friday. 
  • -Be purposefully about doing a weekly cookup on Saturday/Sunday.
  • -Start packing, sorting, decluttering. Would like to have everything but essentials packed or removed from possession by end of the month.
  • -Work on my digital scrapbooking daily - would like to have as many projects complete by end of August as I can.
  • -Sleep! Try to get back into early to bed early to rise routine. I really need my 8 hours! 

Ended up eating out yesterday as I got a last minute invite from a former co-worker/friend I don't get to see very often. We had Thai food and I ordered Pad Thai with shrimp. It was a lunch sized portion so felt a little heavy in my tummy but no major reactions. Came with a broth that had bits of egg and tofu in it...I ate the egg and left the tofu. Wasn't good about my cod liver oil or bone broth yesterday. Those are habits that will take some time to establish.

Hi, folks!  Sorry about the grumbling lately.  Going for a positive August!

I'm back into the clothes that I wore before the ulcer and subsequent weight gain, so I am VERY happy about that!

This month, I will continue to avoid grains, nightshades and additives (including sugar).  I am keeping the option of small amounts of dairy open.

I hope to get my yoga practice back to every other day, instead of the random bits of stretching I've been doing.  This has to be kept within what my body will allow, due to chronic medical issues, but I managed this before the ulcer, so I think it's a reasonable goal, although it will undoubtedly take more than a month.  Right now I can manage only about 10 minutes of a 20 minute basic routine.  So, I'm gong to aim for consistency, and work on duration later.

That's my plan.

All the best for August, everyone!

Clean August begins! My rules are the same as Clean July.

Eat to the template - 3 meals, no snacks, plenty of protein, fat and veg

No snacks (mini meals when hungry are ok)

No dessert (including fruit after dinner)

No blowing the final exam!

Known challenges:

We are going to the cabin for a week. I will eat cinnamon bread for breakfast with my eggs and veg. I will not snack. I am allowed 1 s'more OR one glass of wine each night. NO GOING BACK FOR MORE. And extra credit if I skip the treat.

I'm not sure if we'll go to the State Fair in August or Sept, but there are no rules and no template and no grading for that day. State Fair day is a once a year, totally worth it, no holding back, free for all. I will get a bucket of cookies and enjoy every one I choose to eat!

I can have one cake ball that I am making for 9yo's friend birthday party. (quality control, you know!)  One!

So here we go for a Clean August!

Ok, so! The wedding went well, in that there were good options for us and I think we chose well. I didn't have any alcohol or dessert (I have a nut allergy so if things aren't labelled at the dessert table, which they weren't, I really can't risk it anyway). I did have some stuffed chicken that had cheddar in it. And *something*—I know not what—gave me major bloating and a cramp in my lower left abdomen. This spot is very familiar to me from pre-Whole30 days, but I still am not sure what causes it. It could have been the dairy, or maybe something had gluten or soy in it, or some wonkus oil was used. Really impossible to tell from this experience, but I will be keeping a close eye out for it in the future.

Anyway, other than that, I indulged in a beer yesterday and was super gassy all evening and woke up with a huge headache. Not yay.

Onward!

Went to a large group barbecue last evening.  Two of the men cooking the salmon knew that I needed a plain piece.  (They were cooking with margarine and lemon pepper seasoning.)  Unfortunately, the guy who was dishing it out didn't get the message, and gave it all away to people who didn't like lemon pepper seasoning.  So..., one of the two guys who know my restrictions cooked me a whole new piece of fish!  And another guy made a salad just for me, complete with balsamic vinegar and olive oil drizzled over it!  I felt like a pain in the butt and was so grateful at the same time.  And dinner was wonderful!

Malie, onward indeed!   :)

Beth, it's hard to think of mold as a friend, but I think it works in this instance.  :)

Terresa: What great supportive friends! I'm glad that was such a good experience for you!

We went to a local Mexican restaurant for lunch yesterday where all the food is local and organic and freshly made. I completely rode my own bike and had a lovely chicken enchilada on blue corn tortilla with cheese and sour cream and Spanish rice and cumin black beans. It was delicious and totally worth it. I didn't really feel an ill effects. The food felt heavy in my tummy but no pain or irrational outbursts. I didn't sleep well last night so that may have been from the food...or from the Venti Iced Green Tea I had...or the good book I'm reading...who knows. All other meals were compliant yesterday. I did have a small piece of dark chocolate with sea salt.

Little bit of raw cheddar on my eggs this morning. All meals planned today are otherwise compliant.

Beth, yes, I feel truly fortunate!  Glad you were able to enjoy the Mexican restaurant!

Indulged in a small glass of homemade raspberry port after dinner last night.  It was heavenly!  And, so far, no ill-effects.  (and considering how dramatic my reactions are, I am hopeful not to have any from it!)

Update! We have been eating pretty much completely clean at home except not worrying about a little added sugar/sweetener here and there, say for example in sausage. There has been some bike-riding, however, and I have some observations:

1. I had a beer on Monday and not only did it really make my head spin as though I'd drank a lot more than one, but I also woke up the following morning with a hangover-like headache. Hard to say definitively that the beer was the culprit of the headache, but I think it's likely.

2. Yesterday evening, rode my bike (intentionally) right off the road at a family dinner at my in-laws': the burger patties had bread crumbs in them, the yam fries had a cornstarch coating, the mushrooms were fried in butter, and I had a few potato chips (in all their wheat/barley/milk product glory). I also had dessert, which was delicious homemade apple strudel-like things with ice cream. I am totally fine emotionally with my choices, but this morning I did wake up much more congested than normal (especially in my right sinus, weirdly enough) and have noticed a few heartburn-like chest pains this morning. Hard to say exactly which thing caused these symptoms, or if it was simply a combination of eating all those not-great things at once.

As I said before... Onward!

Malie...good observations. Every time we offroad is a learning experience.

I've been pretty much eating to the template this week too with the exception of my purposefully added back raw cheese, some cooking with butter, and trace added sugar. I've been feeling pretty stuffy since yesterday afternoon but I think that was vacuuming the whole house (parts of which I'm embarrassed to say how long ago they had been vacuumed) and kicking up lots of dust and stuff. Also got my period early this morning and took some Tylenol and might take some more. Just need to get through first day.

Trying to keep it clean as I'm probably going to eat out a lot this weekend with the Seattle Lindy Exchange happening.

Yep - observations are good.  I have been sticking pretty close to template except for the cake pop, which I observed was not worth it. :)  Even the horrible day yesterday didn't result in any no-no foods.  I have to make scotcheroos tonight for my husband to take to a boys' night out.  I will not lick the bowl or spoon.  I may try one small one tomorrow if I think it's worth it.

We are!  It's great!

Just checking in to say that things are good.  Feeling great again (relatively speaking) now that I've been compliant for a few days.  I may never be able to wander far from template, but right now I'm good with that!

Just wanted to pop in and say that I'm proud of myself for eating clean yesterday (save for some dextrose in ye olde breakfast sausage), despite my husband eating ice cream and banana bread and drinking beer all day, heh. I needed a clean day. Today I think I will indulge in a slice of said banana bread.

Archived