Oh wow, what a lovely thing to read on my mummy forum this morning. Another poster has written up to a guide to gettting started with paleo & asked did anyone want it...

M*** wrote:
I would be interested. Every time I see a photo of AandL (that's me!) I think about doing it.

S***
I'd be interested also, for this very reason also.

:D :D :D

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ding ding Derval!  That's pretty awesome :D

The roast was delicious.  Non-compliant ingredients were: cranberry jelly, mint sauce, honey, red wine.  But my plate looked ok: lamb, broccoli, half a small sweet potato and roast carrots.  Plus one of hubby's potatoes.  No regrets.  It was worth it, and it fit into my "rules".

Yum cha (or dim sum as my Mum calls it) with chums tomorrow morning ...  Will try and keep it as balanced as possible without worrying too much about ingredients.  Then back to template.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!  Hubs is watching F1 qualifying, I want them to get on with it so we can switch to Le Tour - first big mountain climb today!  Exciting!

Happy Weekend ladies! 

Sophie: I absolutely love lamb!  I can't have it without mint chutney though so have avoided it mostly.  You could make a delicious greek lettuce wrap or salad out of it for lunches (no feta)!

Derval: What a lovely compliment!  It feels good to be someone people look to ;)

Bethany: MMMmmm ribs!  Got a great price at my butcher's this week so am making them tomorrow, now I don't have to worry about no BBQ sauce, yours sound delicious! :D

I officially failed yesterday but am not going to beat myself up over it.  I ate clean all day, fully to template then the hubinator and I went to a local park with a picnic, I made butternut chocolate chili with local pork.  We are such outdoors nerds, we brought our little backpacking stove and all of our camping dishes and utensils, we even had one of our water water bladders instead of bottles of anything, must've been a sight to see our stove up on the grates of the grill!  Anyway, had a lovely time and were thouroughly dripping with sweat from hte heat and chili so the hubs suggested we go get ice cream.  Okay, first, he NEVER suggests something like that, it's too.....normal!  Second, it was really hot!  So I gave in and decided to just let it go and enjoy the fun of it, finish out our little date night then start fresh in the AM.  Well, I got a horrific tummy ache, it felt like a small animal had set up camp in my belly.  Over it, this week has been so up and down with reintroducing foods, and screwing it up with with wine or cider.  I think I am just going to eat clean and follow my set rules for now.  All I have left is non-glutenous grains and soy, neither of which I care too awful much about.  I'd really like to feel good when we travel and right now, I don't feel so good :unsure:

Oh wow, what a lovely thing to read on my mummy forum this morning. Another poster has written up to a guide to gettting started with paleo & asked did anyone want it...

M*** wrote:

I would be interested. Every time I see a photo of AandL (that's me!) I think about doing it.

S***

I'd be interested also, for this very reason also.

:D :D :D

This is fantastic to be written up in this lovely fashion. You're an inspiration! But we all already knew that. :)

I've never made a lamb roast, just chops. Should I look into it?

Sophie: Lamb! Yum! I usually try to eat lamb on M,W,F. The fertility meal plan in the book I got says to eat beef or lamb every day. Beef gets T, Th, Sa, and Su. I need to defrost the lamb I have in the freezer and cook it up for this week!

Derval: Doesn't it feel great to get those kinds of compliments? 

Liz: Have you tried any of the lamb recipes in Practial Paleo? They are sooooo good! The chops with olive tapenade are very tasty and easy and I make those frequently. Seasoned lamb burgers with homemade mayo are yumbo! When I told my husband I just wanted to rub in the seasoning salt (it's the redmond real salt one) he said he didn't think it would taste very good. I'm glad he was wrong. :-D I'm sorry the ice cream was a disaster. Sadly besides dairy and sugar who knows what else was in it. I think taking a break from reintro and cleaning it up until vacation will definitely be best for your mind and body.

Day 26 is in the bag with perhaps a little too much fruit but not as much as the previous day and all with meals. Onward to day 27! Having the body fat measured in the dunk tank this morning. Little nervous about it but curious to see how it compares to the number I estimate with tape measure based calculators and certain it will be lower than the electronic capacitance device that tries to tell me it's in the high 40s.  :rolleyes:

Yum cha (or dim sum as my Mum calls it) with chums tomorrow morning ...  Will try and keep it as balanced as possible without worrying too much about ingredients.  Then back to template.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!  Hubs is watching F1 qualifying, I want them to get on with it so we can switch to Le Tour - first big mountain climb today!  Exciting!

My favorite dim sum experience was in Chinatown in New York. I was visiting Zach and his partner R who's here from Beijing. They took me to a place where we had to ride a big escalator to get up there, it was a huge restaurant with tables for 8 so they sat you with whomever. None of the staff spoke English that I could tell. R did all of the ordering. I know I ate things I'd never know about on my own. Quite fun! Enjoy your meal tomorrow.

You're doing great with planning your off road experiences.

I used to be an avid tour watcher. I guess it was when I was cheering Lance on so it's been a few years.

Lizzard, I'm sorry you got a tummy ache. I'm trying to learn from all of you so that when I reintro things before vacation I'll remember to be mindful. It seems like reintro can be filled with so many potholes.

Beth, lamb burgers are among my favorite meals! I make tem with cilantro, diced onions and a bit of pine nuts. I like to let both sides get crispy in the frying. I think I need to make them tonight!

I was feeling a bit demoralized this morning but now after reading Clean July I'm re-energized. Thank you all! I love getting inspired when my own is lagging. I wrote my pity party in my log. I'm over it now! Onwards to a good clean Saturday of work, farmers market, pirates class and playing with a girlfriend this afternoon.

Have a fun day!

I love lamb, but it's gotten so expensive here in the last few years.  :(

Liz: My ice cream consumption has gone down drastically since I moved here (unlike when I lived in Wisconsin and had the cheap Student Union ice cream shop with ice cream made on campus to tempt me).  People here seem to love their soft serve ice cream.  My husband is totally a bad influence on me as well, I feel like because he's working super hard right now I find it hard to say no when he wants to go out and have a drink or go out for the Chinese buffet. (He's been on 12-hour nights, 7 days a week for the last month and he's doing our roof in his free time)

I got out of bed and ran 11 miles at 6:00 this morning before the heat set in, it was actually eerily foggy which was nice, but made it hard to see my landmarks (the keep going, you're nearly at x, y or z sort of landmarks).  Then I had a slightly non-compliant breakfast (hollandaise sauce and a bit of English muffin), but only two ciders (Bulmers black cherry, which was lush) as opposed to the five or six drinks that I would ordinarily of had.

But I have a compliant dinner planned (steak, purple sprouting broccoli and sweet potato) then it's another week of clean eating for me. 

My husband has lost 8 pounds in the last month and is complaining that I'm starving him.  So I decided to weigh myself and have lost 7 pounds in the last week, which seems a bit extreme and makes me wonder if our scale is broken.  (I think I lost 7 pounds in total on my April W30)  But it's definitely good motivation to carry on as I have been.

Physibeth, I would love to try the body fat measure - my scales tell me I'm 35.8% :o which must be wrong! surely!

So far so good today, really wanted to go to the shops & get a Magnum (Dove in U.S I think) icecream but resisted! It is HOT here today so having bbq, was able to buy some ready prepared stuff as I'm not w30'ing which is nice for a break.

Calee: Pirates class? Now that sounds a lot more fun than pilates class. Yar! Where be the rum!

Anabelle: I get not wanting to say no when your husband wants to go out and you hardly get to spend time together. Are there some healthier places he would still enjoy that you could counter suggest? When my husband wants to do something that I'm not sure is best for me I make sure how much I want to spend time with him and make a counter suggestion. Great job on your run! I'm having a little break from the long runs but will be back at them the week after next. That does seem like a lot of weight loss...perhaps scale needs a new battery? To be re-zeroed?

Derval: Good job resisting that ice cream.  Is Magnum the brand that has the 7 deadly sins line? I ate a lot of those when I was in Australia in 2002. I have to admit that it was hard not having paleo ice cream when it was so hot last week.Looking forward to making some compliant stuff soon. Measuring body fat by electronic capacitance is highly inaccurate. It might be worth looking into finding a hydrolic testing place nearby.

The body fat testing went fine. Got an early peek at my weight from it. Their scale says 185 which is down 2.8 lbs from June 1st and that was after a good sized breakfast (I usually weigh myself fasted) so I'm hopeful for a lower number on Wednesday. The test is weird. You have to blow all your air out and lay back in the water. As I swam competitively as a kid this is counter-intuitive to me as I usually want to take in as much air as I can and hold it as long as possible. Number came back at 32.8% which is around what I expected it to be. I don't think I got all my air out either. They will be back in 4 months so I can practice blowing all my air out under water and keep paleo-ing on and hope for a big improvement in November.  :D They do have this nutrition course they advice you to look at. I'm sure it will make me roll my eyes but I might take a look for the entertainment factor. I did tell him I was eating Paleo and he didn't say anything either way.

Jenna, how exciting that you're going to be a SAHM. You're going to have more time to be good to yourself. How long has it been since you've spent a summer at home? That's a hefty goal to increase running from 1 mile to 4 miles. I'll be cheering for you!

I was stayed at home for a little bit 2 years ago because I was unemployed. My oldest will be starting kindergarten this year so it's mnlast chance to be with him before he becomes a real kid!

I'm inPhilly right now for vacation and also for a lacrosse tournament I coach for. I've had a few licks of ice cream but staying away from the cheesesteaks and Pizza!

Catching up in all these posts. You guys all sound fab. Love the different varieties. Considering joining you all. Hmm. Keep falling off my W30 wagon and I have a couple events in the next few weeks where I may want a glass of wine or to not feel guilty about eating food with a questionable past.

MissJena: enjoy adult conversations while you can. :) I definitely don't miss work (I worked at a hedge fund, low on the food chain--def not the $5m bonus job, think Mad Men in terms of the role of women) but I do sometimes miss the company of grown ups and the work camaraderie. Now that my son is older--also going into K--I know more ppl and feel less isolated. But, yeah, adult conversation, eating lunch with other grown-ups, reading on the train, $ for shoes and personal grooming. That's about all I miss.

Yeah I miss that stuff too Beets, 10.5 years since I went on maternity leave & never went back to work.

After resisting the ice-cream earlier in the day I went & had one of the flapjacks dh made :rolleyes: and a glass of wine, the last of the bottle I opened on Weds. I did enjoy the wine, drunk on my own out the back garden after dinner.

So far so not too bad today, 2xeggs, 1 slice prosciutto, 1 clementine for breakfast. A cappucino from McD's. We went for a hike up the Sugarloaf and I had a yummy salad when we got to the top - leaves, beets, goats cheese,walnuts. Followed by half a nakd bar.

Dinner will be Toms butter chicken (with added green beans) and basmati rice. I can't remember the last time I had rice!

66825_10151640778253666_796885155_n.jpg

8d3faa52e70b11e2b9fd22000a1fbc16_6.jpg

Great pic Derval!  Makes me wanna go for a hike, if it weren't so bloomin' hot! 

Planning to have a relaxing day.  Grilling compliant ribs later, beets and green beans from the garden, and a big salad.  Feeling really good about myself today and that feels really good!  I might even put on a swimsuit and lay out for a bit later, been a long, looong time since I wore a bathing suit. 

Hope everyone is having a wonderful weekend :P

Derval: Love the picture! Visiting Ireland is on my bucket list...just lovely!

Liz: Yay to a relaxing day in a bathing suite! I was surprised how easily mine went on yesterday. Last time I wore it (maybe 2 months ago?) I practically had to force it on.

Beets: Our office is down to so few people now I think I'd get more adult conversation if I stayed home. Most of my friends are SAHM so I get a little jealous that they are all doing stuff together during the day and I'm stuck in my office usually by myself. Hopefully one day soon.

Rest of yesterday went well. Stayed W30 compliant and am on to day 28! Got the guest room all straightened up and clean (just need to remake the bed) and the guest bathroom cleaned. Babysitting went fine and got my July goals checklist all done and my meals (protein mains) planned for the rest of the month so I can do a bit grocery shop with my 10% off entire visit coupon tomorrow. Even did the couple of small things I needed to do before bed last night to check off the "daily chores" item for yesterday even though I was exhausted. Used the "you've done everything else...just see it through" pep talk. 

Hi everyone!  I'm a week late, but I just got back from holidays (driving/camping) where wifi/internet was nonexistent and cell service was intermittent at best.

So, how is everyone?  May I join late?

The only thing I've reintro'd is wine, and that may not have been a good idea.  *lol*

I've been unemployed since the end of January and have definitely missed adult conversation since I quit working, probably the only decent thing about the course I'm on right now is the conversation (I went in to get a computing qualification and wasted about 4-5 weeks doing a Maths and English qualification because the Welsh government seems to think that anyone who doesn't have a job is lacking in basic skills)

Beets: Definitely you should join us in here without all the pressure of a W30, it might help you to find a sustainable plan that works for you.

Beth: If we were in the States that would be the ideal solution. But here you've mostly got a choice of different takeaways and pubs serving pub food. They're all about as healthy as each other, but really I'm not that concerned about it as it's not even a weekly occurrence, as we both generally prefer my cooking.

I need some better hot weather food options, I'm a bit bored of salad.

I was stayed at home for a little bit 2 years ago because I was unemployed. My oldest will be starting kindergarten this year so it's mnlast chance to be with him before he becomes a real kid!

I'm inPhilly right now for vacation and also for a lacrosse tournament I coach for. I've had a few licks of ice cream but staying away from the cheesesteaks and Pizza!

Jenna, I just got a look a t your 3 boys. They are adorable. I'd like to apply for Grammy position should it become available. Have a fantastic summer.

Good for you avoiding the pizza!

Catching up in all these posts. You guys all sound fab. Love the different varieties. Considering joining you all. Hmm. Keep falling off my W30 wagon and I have a couple events in the next few weeks where I may want a glass of wine or to not feel guilty about eating food with a questionable past.

s.

Beets! Please do join us if youd like.I always learn so much from you!

Derval, I had a good laugh. You said you had a salad when you got to the top and I thought how strange to have a cafe up there! Then I scrolled down to the next pic and had a DUH moment. Love the pic of the two of you.

Hi everyone!  I'm a week late, but I just got back from holidays (driving/camping) where wifi/internet was nonexistent and cell service was intermittent at best.

So, how is everyone?  May I join late?

The only thing I've reintro'd is wine, and that may not have been a good idea.  *lol*

Teressa, of course you can join. You get hero of the week award for surviving that car trip home. I would have caved to unplanned off road eats. Good job!

I'm hanging in. I caved and took a blood pressure pill yesterday. I couldn't take anymore swelling and was seriously concerned in gaining several pounds in the week I was off the meds. I started second guessing my food choices of the week. One pill and my weight is back to where it was and I felt much better.

I went to a memorial service today. Nice service, organic lunch served. I wasn't particularly tempted by the dessert table or assortment of food on the buffet. I had a serving of carnitas, mixed greens and guacamole along with cut fruit. I did put a spoon of hot sauce on the carnitas and thought nothing of it. All organic, fresh ingredients, no problem. Drank water and avoided wine.

I thought I did great. I wasn't home 15 minutes before I started coughing and my head felt fluffy. The only culprit could be the sauce. It was a freaking tablespoon. WTF? The reason I'm so annoyed is that I appear to be a freaking sensitive princess. How the heck will I reintro things like dairy? When I was a vegan for 9 years, it took me over 2 years to reintro dairy without having to use beeno crap. I had clear the movie theatre levels of stank if I ate dairy. Think my body was trying o tell me something? I don't want to be so sensitive.

My lesson of the day from the service is that I want to be a more forgiving person. I want to let go of things easily. Life is short and I'm no youngster, even though I act like one.

I'm going to go make a mini template plate of food for dinner. Today I tried zucchini noodles with my peeler. Cooked them in a bit of Ghee and have found my new favorite food!

Calee, sorry to hear about the hot sauce incident.  I do know some sauce include soy and sugar (why, please tell me) so they could have bothered you :(   And I would just be patient with the blood pressure pill, you definitely don't want to be uncomfortable or do any harm while trying to do all this good!  Blood pressure is such a finicky thing, at least for me it was when I was having problems with it.  Our bodies are mysterious things and lucky us W30ers who are taking the time to figure out somewhat of makes them tick.  Isn't it nice to know that the hot sauce is probably what bothered you, where as many people would just shrug it off and say oh well, and forget about it till next time they felt bad again.  We have the opportunity to weed out what those things are and avoid making ourselves feel bad in the future. Score 1 for us, I say :D

Archived