Recovering vegetarian's omnivore dilemma

I am looking for some suggestions from former vegetarians on how they were able to accept eating meat. I stopped eating meat when I was 14, and spent the last 18 years practicing various degrees of vegetarianism (from semi-vegan to ovo-lacto to pescetarian) and only recently began eating chicken and turkey again.

Though I do enjoy the taste of chicken and turkey, and I know it's healthier for me to eat meat than not, I just can't get around the fact that I am not ok with eating an animal's flesh. Every time I eat meat, I enjoy the meal but afterwards feel very guilty. In fact, in order to stomach my food, I have to momentarily ignore where it came from. But this seems to defeat the essence of a Whole30, which is to eat real food, being aware of its source and effect on your body.

I told myself I would just eat meat for my Whole30, and go back to just seafood and eggs afterwards. But honestly if anyone could help me get over this idea that I shouldn't eat animal meat, I'd love to hear some suggestions on how to do that. Interestingly, it doesn't bother me that other people eat meat. It's just very difficult to get over a mindset I've had for most of my life, and all of my adult life. Thanks in advance for any tips you have.

Also, if you've never been a vegetarian, though I appreciate your point of view, I'm specifically looking for tips from people who can relate to the dilemma I'm describing and have had to overcome the same obstacle after abstaining from meat for some time. Thanks!

I was vegetarian for about 10 years, from my teens into my twenties - i started eating meat again on a holiday to Greece, when it becamne apparent that veggie choices were somewhat limited (greek salad, anyone?) So i started eating a bit of calamari, then piled into a mixed grill... ahem  :ph34r:

Would it help your conscience if you only ate grass-fed organic meats? That way at least you can be sure the animal was humanely treated? Or i used to find it helped if i did think about what i was eating, sort of like saying grace & thanking the cow or sheep for providing the energy you need?

• Moderators

I went vegetarian for 6 months after reading Omnivore's Dilemma. Before that, I ate almost totally vegetarian, with the very occasional meat. Sadly, I did not feel great on the diet, in fact a bit low energy. Reintroducing meat - this time only grass fed and humanely raised local stuff -- made me feel a world of difference.

Some of what helped me was reading and visiting the farm where I buy my meat. Also, reading up on these animals and common misconceptions. Some of what humans consider uncomfortable for animals is actually their preference! Like cows being crowded together? Turns out they prefer that. Some eye opening info like that changed the way I thought about it, at least a little. And knowing they all led a good life was really comforting to me.

Finally, thought it might be a bit boring, you could do your Whole30 eating only seafood and eggs. There is no requirement that you eat specific kinds of meat.

Hope this helps!

I agree that visiting a local farm might help you to have a better understanding of the whole process and then feel more comfortable with it.

If you know it's healthier for you to eat meat than not, it might just be something that's worth persevering with until you get more used to it.  Once I realised that I do so much better on a high protein diet, that was the end of vegetarianism for me.

I was a vegetarian and then almost vegetarian for many years mainly because I just don't like meat and don't like thinking about eating animals.  I read all of the books that supported my preferred diet (high in whole grains and veg and low in animals).  But, after years of eating this way and not feeling my best, I decided to be open minded and try a diet that is not what I necessarily wanted to eat.  This probably isn't the answer that you're looking for, but, personally, I'm ok with denial.  I just try not to think about it because if I do, I will not be able to eat it.  Intellectually, I feel better knowing that the meat I eat is raised locally and humanely, but at the time of actually eating, I just don't think about it.  I tend to eat eggs as my breakfast protein and tuna as my lunch protein and then whatever I am making for my family for my dinner protein.  That is the one where I just ignore what I am eating.  Good luck!   

I was vegetarian for more than 15 years, and it had a horrible impact on my health. horrible. If I went back to it with the information I now have about diet and health, I'm sure a lot could be mitigated, but I don't want less bad. I want excellent health and I believe I deserve it as much as any animal. I'm careful about sourcing meat that has been raised humanely and fed an appropriate diet (grass fed beef, pastured chicken, etc). I eat meat and fish now and feel good about it because I know I am nurturing my body. Find the right balance for you at this moment. That might mean seafood, chicken and eggs only, or grassfed beef and lamb also, it's your choice and your health, do what feels right for you.

Archived