When can I expect my digestive problems to subside?

So a little background on me that might be a little TMI, sorry:

I am doing the Whole30 because I believe I have a yeast overgrowth in my stomach (candida) and have symptoms of 'leaky gut' syndrome. This is self-diagnosed but it seems to fit - gas and bloating (made worse by beer, pizza, anything with yeast in it), fatigue, fungal nail infections, trouble concentrating, etc.

When my symptoms first started in April 2012 (after a long course of antibiotics and regular swimming in a chlorinated pool) I began a diet not unlike the Whole30 (the "candida diet"), took a ton of probiotics and supplements, and I gave up birth control pills. I lost a lot of weight and my symptoms cleared, and I was able to revert back to a more "normal" diet. I still was not eating a lot of yeast or processed foods, but I was able to eat some sugar, legumes, and rice without incident. 

I began swimming again, and I immediately started gaining weight, craving (and eating) terrible food, and was horribly, uncomfortably bloated all the time. I cannot exaggerate the physical discomfort I felt every day when I was swimming. Its come to my attention that chlorine is a cause of candida overgrowth, so I stopped about a month ago. Then, I decided to try Whole30 to see if it would help me out, help me heal my stomach and finally be able to feel good. 

Its only day 4, so I do not expect miracles by now. But I am in so much pain every morning with bloating in my belly. I am not sure but it seems to be a little bit worse than before. I would like to know if this is normal, and at what point I might expect to feel better. 

Edited to add - I have been to a GI doctor who basically told me I must be lactose intolerant, which I am not (after a wisdom tooth surgery last year I ate nothing but ice cream and antibiotics for three days and never got as much as a stomach ache). I have been unable to find a naturopath or homeopath that I can afford, since none seem to take insurance. 

There seems to be a fair amount of people who are sensitive to coconut products. If you have added that to your diet recently, you might try cutting back for a week or two to see if that helps. 

Thanks. I do not think its coconut (have not used it really since I started the 30 and I have used it before without problems). I think Tom is right and I need to just give it more time. I will see what happens.

The thing is, I feel FINE. No "carb flu" or any of the really bad symptoms that have been mentioned by others. Just the same old issue - bloating and gas. And its really only first thing in the morning and right before bed.

• Moderators

I have never had good experience with taking probiotic supplements, but I have had good results eating probiotic rich foods. You might want to make a point of eating a serving everyday of either kombucha, sauerkraut, kimchi, or coconut kefir. These help with digestion over time.

Feeling really discouraged as my digestive issues continued and worsened yesterday. Its rather embarrassing and very frustrating. I feel bloated and fat all the time, which is exactly how I felt before I started. In fact, the only real changes I have noticed since starting is that I am having trouble sleeping and I am craving cigarettes. I know I need to be more patient but I am spending SO MUCH money and time cooking and I want to feel something! 

I made meatballs in tomato sauce on the first day and I have had them every day. I may be wrong but it seems like they corresponded with my "issues." I am wondering if the tomato sauce was too much? I've never noticed a tomato sensitivity before but who knows. My digestive tract remains a mystery to me, as always.  :(

I wonder if you are experiencing a die-off?

My husband has suffered from weird and random GI issues his entire life.  We started whole30, and he experienced what I believe to be a major die-off on Day 9.  He had nausea, diarrhea, completely out of it, felt like he had a fever but didn't...  It was pretty bad.  His gut wasn't recovering from that, and he has a lot of food "triggers," so we switched him to the Specific Carbohydrate Diet (recommended by a poster on this forum) - http://scdlifestyle.com/

Maybe you need something gentler on your tummy than even a whole30?  Maybe there is a way that your GI tract doesn't have to be a mystery?

Feeling really discouraged as my digestive issues continued and worsened yesterday. Its rather embarrassing and very frustrating. I feel bloated and fat all the time, which is exactly how I felt before I started. In fact, the only real changes I have noticed since starting is that I am having trouble sleeping and I am craving cigarettes. I know I need to be more patient but I am spending SO MUCH money and time cooking and I want to feel something! 

I made meatballs in tomato sauce on the first day and I have had them every day. I may be wrong but it seems like they corresponded with my "issues." I am wondering if the tomato sauce was too much? I've never noticed a tomato sensitivity before but who knows. My digestive tract remains a mystery to me, as always.  :(

Is it possible you are sensitive to nightshades? Try changing things up in your meal plan and pulling things in and out for a few days to see if that makes a difference. I hope you find relieve soon.

@Physibeth - I thought it could be nightshades, but after I read this: http://whole9life.com/2012/09/digestive-enzymes-101/ I realized that I think THAT is my problem.

It seemed to fit. I won't go into the specifics because its gross. :) So I picked up some of the NOW Super Enzymes last night before dinner, and I also decided to get back on my daily probiotic supplement. I feel pretty good right now. We'll see how the next few days go, though, before I get too excited!

Enzymes are the best. I know the specifics :lol: . If you are not used to eating this much meat/protein, you may want to add HCL as well if it's not in your enzyme supplement.

Are you sure it's not coconut? I never thought it was a problem for me either, but on Day 41 of my AIP W90, I was still feeling bloated and icky. :(  I tried supplements and enzymes and didn't get any relief. Finally I took an honest look, and realized that eating coconut was really the only thing new to my diet :huh: --all the other Whole30 changes have had to do with stopping certain foods, or adjusting frequency and amounts of things I already ate. Sure enough. After stopping coconut on Day 42, I felt much better, and today (Day 43) I feel so much better!!! No more bloat! :D So I'm just sayin', don't make any assumptions.

Emily, for what it's worth, I'm on day 4 too. And I've got this -- I'm-the-only-one-in-the-world-who-isn't-going-to-benefit-from-this fear going on right now. The food is definitely expensive and the time to prepare it is tough when you're not used to it (and I'm not). But I've just got to have hope in something. And honestly, this is probably the most positive thing I've ever done towards better health. I've been diagnosed with celiac sprue, adrenal fatigue, h. pylori, low levels of zinc, and candida. I've been seeing an alternative (progressive?) doctor for the last year. I decided that if he were to write a book, it would be called, "It Starts with Supplements." I'm taking literally a handful of supplements every night and every day -- from zinc, gaba, ashwaganda, adreno distress guard, pyloricin, tran-q, etc. Has it helped? I don't know -- not so much, I don't think. And every time I asked him about changing my diet he would just encourage me to avoid foods that made me feel bad. (That would have meant not eating.) So now I"m doing this. And today I'm actually having sort of a bad day. I feel BAD. But I've got to have hope. Hang in there so you and I can finish on the same day! Since we're at the same place, it might help for us to stay in contact and share highs and lows...

Okay, so I've gone 24 hours with the enzymes.

All I can say is, WOW.

The bloat and gas are almost gone! Its like night and day from yesterday!!!! I am so excited! Enzymes rock!!!!!

With that said, I have a serious tummy ache right now and I don't know what its from. I think I'm a bit "backed up" - hoping the enzymes will help that. Edit: The steak I had at dinner was cooked in an olive oil/vegetable oil blend. Following the whole30 rules (yes to canola, only when dining out and there are no other options) I ordered it without thinking. Maybe thats the cause of the stomach ache. Either way, its passed now. 

@Tallulah - I really am positive its not coconut. I think I only used it on days 1-2 and these issues primarily surface right after eating food. 

@Jenny C - Wow, it sounds like this has been a long journey for you! I feel like I have been treating candida and digestive issues forever, and feeling so discouraged. But I think you're right, this will work for us. Just gotta stay positive and focused!

It will probably take awhile to adjust. I was taking HCL before starting W30, but had to add enzymes and was still a bit back up for a bit. If you aren't taking Magnesium, consider adding that. I take Magnesium Glycinate and it helps.

Also a whole30 alone doesnt always fix everything for everyone. I have been whole30 ing largely since oct and am much much healthier but still have problems with certain foods, variable digestion, skin etc... The whole30 is good for eliminating all the other causes (grain, dairy, legumes, sugar, alcohol) and providing an excellent base for further investigation, and sometimes it just takes time... Don't give up

The gas and bloat have subsided for the most part, thanks I think to the enzymes.

But I'm rather, erm, constipated. Grrr...will it ever end? I also have a very small appetite lately. Lastly, a dry and itchy and flaky scalp, which I know is connected to some digestive problems. 

@Juzbo, of course I am not giving up, just feeling so discouraged. I really thought the whole30 would whip me into shape! 

Yeah, me too. Many people do get the magic... But lots of us are here because of persistent difficult problems. We don't always get the magic but we still get improvements eventually... I complain about my skin as it still hasn't fixed... But 90% of the time it is 200% better than when I was taking anti inflammatories daily for months at a time. I never used to have a problem with coconut and nuts but now I do... Mainly though because my perspective has changed... As well as the ratio in my diet....

Archived