Jicama help

KnottyMama

I was very surprised to find Jicama in my grocery store and I was wondering if any of you have any good ideas how to use it? I was thinking it would make a good replacement for potatoes in recipes, but the one I used was too crunchy in the meal I made.  I cooked it for a while and it never got soft.  Is that what they do, or was it not ripe?

But I am excited to find Jicama!  I do have the Well Fed book, but haven't tried the french fry idea from the book.  I am thinking I need to give my French fry addicted kids a break and try to think of other options.  TIA

A friend from Mexico taught me this.  It's so simple and so good.

1 jicama

1 lime, freshly squeezed

Dried and ground chili pepper of choice (cayenne, chipotle, etc), to taste

Peel the jicama and discard the skin.

Cut the jicama meat into julienne-style strips (thick or thin, your choice) and place them in a bowl.

Add fresh lime juice and toss to coat the jicama well.

Top with ground chili pepper to taste.

Serve immediately, or let chill in the fridge for about 2 hours if you need something extra refreshing on a hot day.

I use jicama any time I want a crunchy veggie.  I love it in small cubes in may-based chicken salad.  I also cook it into my chicken soup.  It stays crunchy, but I expect that and I enjoy it.

A friend from Mexico taught me this.  It's so simple and so good.

1 jicama

1 lime, freshly squeezed

Dried and ground chili pepper of choice (cayenne, chipotle, etc), to taste

Peel the jicama and discard the skin.

Cut the jicama meat into julienne-style strips (thick or thin, your choice) and place them in a bowl.

Add fresh lime juice and toss to coat the jicama well.

Top with ground chili pepper to taste.

Serve immediately, or let chill in the fridge for about 2 hours if you need something extra refreshing on a hot day.

This sounds yummy: perfect timing, as I need something to bring to over someone's house tomorrow night.

About how much chili pepper do you use? Would a teaspoon be too much?

This sounds yummy: perfect timing, as I need something to bring to over someone's house tomorrow night.

About how much chili pepper do you use? Would a teaspoon be too much?

A teaspoon sounds like a lot to me, but I prefer spices on the mild side. A light dusting makes me happy.

For the more adventurous, get out the measuring spoons and add 1/4 teaspoon at a time until it's spicy enough to make you happy.

A teaspoon sounds like a lot to me, but I prefer spices on the mild side. A light dusting makes me happy.

For the more adventurous, get out the measuring spoons and add 1/4 teaspoon at a time until it's spicy enough to make you happy.

I agree.  Depending on the size of the jicama and the heat of your chile, you may want more or less.  And, if you are serving a crowd, milder is often better.

Just to clarify do you use fresh chili pepper or a dried powder?

I was planning to use a dried chili powder, which contains paprika, cumin, cayenne pepper, garlic, parsley, oregano and black pepper. Based on what you said, maybe 1/4 teaspoon of that?

Ditto what Nico said.

I've always used dried, ground pepper.  Cayenne is lovely.  Chipotle is lovely.  I haven't experimented much beyond that, so I'm curious how you like it with your spice blend.

Oh, my gosh.  You just inspired me to make a batch with ground cumin instead of chili pepper.  Thank you!  :)

I've cut up jicama (skin removed) into fry size pieces and tossed them in coconut oil, sprinkled them with thyme, and baked them for 40 mins at 400 degrees F and they were delicious! They don't get soft like parsnips or sweet potatoes but they are still very good as "fries" in my opinion

I also cut them up into cubes and put them in my food processor to make jicama rice for homemade sushi and they were great that way too! 

In Mexico, there was a "fruit guy" right outside of our hotel. Every morning, we would go get a cup of freshly chopped sticks of cucumber, jicama and pineapple. Then Roberto would squeeze fresh lime, chipotle chili powder and salt. This was many years ago. To this day, I make this when the weather gets hot. I seem to have replaced the pineapple with sticks of red and orange peppers. We also serve it in paper cups because..well..that is how Roberto did it. :0)

Ditto what Nico said.

I've always used dried, ground pepper.  Cayenne is lovely.  Chipotle is lovely.  I haven't experimented much beyond that, so I'm curious how you like it with your spice blend.

Oh, my gosh.  You just inspired me to make a batch with ground cumin instead of chili pepper.  Thank you!   :)

The spice blend mixture turned out yummy.  I used 3 jicamas, 3 limes, 1/4 tsp sea salt and somewhere between 1/4 and 1/2 tsp of my chili powder. It was fine for others, for me, I would up the spice next time, maybe to a 1/2 tsp at least.

How did your cumin batch come out?

Archived