Bulletproof coffee?? Who has tried it?

Looking for feedback on Bulletproof coffee. I cut out coffee for my W90, and wanting to try Bulletproof coffee for a reintro; hoping it will be gentler on my gut. Wondered if anyone had tried the actual Bulletproof coffee and could give me a review, especially if you've had intolerance issues with other coffees.

Are you asking about the brand that started it all?  If so, it's called Bulletproof Coffee. http://www.bulletproofexec.com/coffee/

I haven't had this brand, but I've made my own version of 'bulletproof coffee' at home with Starbucks Decaf House Blend,  blended using a hand blender with coconut oil and ghee or clarified butter. Yum.

EDIT: Moved thread to Food, Drink and Condiments area.

How do you determine a high-quality, mold-free (and I would prefer low-acid) coffee? The guy even eschews Starbucks coffee on his site. I've also considered trying a "low-acid" organic coffee. I want to be as kind to my stomach as possible, but I really miss the taste.

It's not easy. None of the big stores will have it. I have tried the upgraded coffee from the BP site and I did not care for it. It tasted sour to me. The person who sent it to me thought it did too.

Have you tried making a cold brew concentrate? It removes the acid and tastes great.

I did a search online and found these tips:

How Can You Find Mycotoxin-Free Coffee?

By following these tips, you can enjoy your cup of joe without having it ruin your health.

1. Drink coffee that has been made via wet processing. Because mycotoxins often form during the drying process, wet beans are much less likely to contain them than dry beans.

2. Do not drink decaffeinated coffee. Caffeine actually protects coffee beans from the growth of mold and can prevent large amounts of mycotoxins from growing.

3. Choose arabica beans over robusta beans. Though robusta varieties do have higher levels of caffeine, they also contain more mycotoxins.

4. Consider the environment in which your beans are grown. Because mold is less apt to grow at higher elevations, buying beans that have been harvested in the mountains of Central America is a great way to decrease the amount of toxins in your coffee.

5. Stay away from blends. Though blended coffees may taste good, there really is no way of telling where the different bean varieties have come from. Try to stick to single estate products rather than the major brand names.

6. Steam is an agent that can help break down toxins, so if all else fails, order an Americano.

This was found at:

http://www.naturalnews.com/034063_mycotoxins_coffee.html

But then the Bulletproof Exec says this:

You might think the more expensive types of coffee will be good for you, but this isn't the case.  Arabica beans are typically less moldy than robusta beans. (Robusta is what you find in Folgers and cheap coffee.) But even expensive types of coffee are usually processed with methods that allow mold to grow.

The natural process method is common in African coffee.  This allows the beans to sit outside where they can collect bird feces and other debris.  They mold. One of my favorite high end coffee roasters describes natural process beans as, “Delicious, flavorful, and psychedelic†because they affect how his brain works.

Wet process is not much better. Here, coffee growers toss the beans into giant vats and add water, then let the beans spoil for a while (ferment) so it's easier to remove the outer parts of the bean. What grows on each batch of beans is unpredictable, but it usually makes more toxins.

From the Bulletproof website:

"'Fresh roasted' and 'organic' do not mean healthy or high quality – People use 'fresh roasted' coffee thinking it's better, which it is, compared to 'roasted months ago.' But regardless of how beans are roasted, the fact is that the vast majority of beans available for roasting are contaminated with biogenic amines or mycotoxins (damaging compounds created by naturally occurring molds in green coffee production that are linked to all sorts of health problems like cardiomyopathy, cancer, hypertension, and brain damage). Mycotoxins grow on coffee beans before the beans are even roasted (1-3). So although the damage is caused before the roasting process even begins, most people tend to focus on the roasting method because that's what's easier. This is why I use the Bulletproof Process™ to make my Upgraded Coffee beans. Of course they are fresh roasted (by the #1 SCAA ranked roaster in the country), but the beans are also engineered throughout the entire creation process to mitigate the dozens of ways mycotoxins and chemicals typically enter the coffee supply chain, and we use laboratory grade testing to verify the results. Unless you test your beans in a lab, the odds are (even with wet process) that you're not feeling the full boost that the Bulletproof Coffee recipe offers."

http://www.bulletproofexec.com/bulletproof-coffee-mistakes-butter-coffee-fatty-coffee-and-more/

On one hand, I realize they will tout their product, to the exclusion of all others. Otoh... interesting points.

Would love to get some third-party feedback or reviews.

I wasn't sure where the thread should go... I was afraid it might be an off-plan food, especially if you are putting butter in it. I'm toying with the idea for my coffee reintro.

No worries.  :)  I thought it was more relevant to coffee vs. reintro and more people interested in coffee would see it here. The reintroduction section is more for the reintroduction logs and questions as you go through the reintro process.

If you put ghee or clarified butter in coffee, that's Whole30 compliant.

Putting butter in coffee would not be Whole30 compliant.

Archived