Starting September 9th looking for support

charleyd40

I cannot find my day 0 email. Otherwise, I am really liking those.

I am feeling like a full blown case of influenza. My entire body hurts, plus the headache. I am trying to get off of anti inflammatories as well. All of my arthritis is making itself known.

Still on track, even with a much smaller breakfast. I just couldn't choke another bite of egg down. I may have to change breakfast up a bit.

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Carrot_flowers & lilangel

It's so nice to see someone understand how hard a habit late night snacking can be to kick! Hope I can keep it up!

Kitty

I totally had a sugar monster myself! Seriously when I went cold turkey off of it a few months ago and after the first few days the desire really did go away! The worst though is the temptation when you see your fave sweet AHHHH! But that's when decisions come into play. Even back then when I started addin some back in, I never let it get crazy. So starting this whole30 hasn't had me go through any withdrawal. I promise you can make it!!!!

Revived

I think legit bulletproof coffee is a brand you can buy offline and you mix it with MCT and butter. I've never gone the legit route but I attempted it a while back and altered mine to my liking with coconut oil and a dash of cinnamon and nutmeg! Yum yum. It's fun to play with!

The last couple weeks of my life I have found something super. During this afternoon "slump" time of the day when boredom makes you think you wanna snack or nap I have started drinking Kombucha. (I still sometimes nap though :) I get the kind mixed w/ chia seeds and a splash of fruit juice and I seriously only take a few drinks and that desire peaces out! Just wanted to share this for if anyone wants to give it a whirl!

Hope everyone's day is going great!

Day two so far; success! Lunch was an avocado with some chicken, lemon juice, herbs, and olive oil. We worked on a roof all day in record-breaking heat, so my appetite was way low and I was more concerned with making sure I was drinking plenty of water (four and a half water bottles demolished, and not once did I have to go to the toilet.) (Until I got home, anyway.) 

Felt pretty sub-par this morning, but am feeling quite good now; not tired, not hungry, not craving anything, just right. And for the first time in months, I don't find myself raiding the press after work. I DID, cautiously, have a conservative handful of cashews, which usually is the beginning of a kitchen-raiding fiasco of no-brake foods, but they felt unusually filling and I'm neither craving anything nor feeling hungry at all. A small, but extremely significant, success for me.

I have two questions:

1.) Regarding bulletproof coffee, how does that work? I understand how one makes it (but I do wonder - has anyone tried making it with a frothing wand?!), but how does one fit it into eating; is it meant to replace something (a snack?), or supplement a meal that might not have had enough fat in it otherwise, or what? It sounds lovely but I'm just wondering whether or not it would be beneficial to me. I've been a black coffee drinker for a good year now, and am totally content staying that way, but was merely curious.

2.) Does anyone have suggestions on foods that are good for helping out one's immune system? Three fellas I work with are down for the count with what appears to be either a very very bad cold, or the dreaded influenza. One of them is my dad, whom I live with. I know that eating this way in general is what one needs to do to keep all systems up and defending properly, but what foods in specific can I eat that might help give my system a little helping hand? As far as I know, kale is a powerhouse of vitamins, including C and D, so I'm going to add a good portion of that to my dinner tonight. Bone broth is meant to be good, but unfortunately I won't have access to a good butcher until Saturday (and some good bones were on top of my list anyway). Am I right in assuming that things that promote gut flora would be beneficial as well (and what food examples of that are there? Sauerkraut? If so...a sauerkraut and kale side dish to go with the chicken I have ready are in my not-so-distant future for sure.)

Also, is it acceptable to start a personal log AND post on this thread? I feel like some people don't like cross-posting, but I also feel like if I don't start my own log, I'll end up writing really long posts on here! Plus I'd like to put pictures up too and not clog up the space here =]

Hope everyone's doing well! The support here is wonderful and extremely encouraging. I appreciate all of you. 

An_marcach

I was introduced to bulletproof coffee by a trainer I had. She wanted me to practice intermittent fasting by having bulletproof coffee either when I woke up or after my workout (if I worked out first thing) then have my first meal a couple hours later. It was an odd process but I was eating paleo (not this limited) and allotted 3 meals a day. So it did not replace a meal. I don't know the logic or what not behind it, but I would say if you like your black coffee and are happy otherwise don't worry with it. I also think it helps ppl transition from cream and sugar to black coffee. When I did it alone like she wanted I was suppose to put around 3-4 servings of fat in there. Now if I don't drink it black w/ breakfast and want flavor I use 1 tsp of coconut oil w/ cinnamon or some coconut milk. So yea, I don't know if this helped at all... I just wanted to share the way I was exposed to it, hope it helped a little...sorry if I confused you more.

Day two so far; success! Lunch was an avocado with some chicken, lemon juice, herbs, and olive oil. We worked on a roof all day in record-breaking heat, so my appetite was way low and I was more concerned with making sure I was drinking plenty of water (four and a half water bottles demolished, and not once did I have to go to the toilet.) (Until I got home, anyway.) 

Felt pretty sub-par this morning, but am feeling quite good now; not tired, not hungry, not craving anything, just right. And for the first time in months, I don't find myself raiding the press after work. I DID, cautiously, have a conservative handful of cashews, which usually is the beginning of a kitchen-raiding fiasco of no-brake foods, but they felt unusually filling and I'm neither craving anything nor feeling hungry at all. A small, but extremely significant, success for me.

I have two questions:

1.) Regarding bulletproof coffee, how does that work? I understand how one makes it (but I do wonder - has anyone tried making it with a frothing wand?!), but how does one fit it into eating; is it meant to replace something (a snack?), or supplement a meal that might not have had enough fat in it otherwise, or what? It sounds lovely but I'm just wondering whether or not it would be beneficial to me. I've been a black coffee drinker for a good year now, and am totally content staying that way, but was merely curious.

2.) Does anyone have suggestions on foods that are good for helping out one's immune system? Three fellas I work with are down for the count with what appears to be either a very very bad cold, or the dreaded influenza. One of them is my dad, whom I live with. I know that eating this way in general is what one needs to do to keep all systems up and defending properly, but what foods in specific can I eat that might help give my system a little helping hand? As far as I know, kale is a powerhouse of vitamins, including C and D, so I'm going to add a good portion of that to my dinner tonight. Bone broth is meant to be good, but unfortunately I won't have access to a good butcher until Saturday (and some good bones were on top of my list anyway). Am I right in assuming that things that promote gut flora would be beneficial as well (and what food examples of that are there? Sauerkraut? If so...a sauerkraut and kale side dish to go with the chicken I have ready are in my not-so-distant future for sure.)

Also, is it acceptable to start a personal log AND post on this thread? I feel like some people don't like cross-posting, but I also feel like if I don't start my own log, I'll end up writing really long posts on here! Plus I'd like to put pictures up too and not clog up the space here =]

Hope everyone's doing well! The support here is wonderful and extremely encouraging. I appreciate all of you.

I have a personal log. Same reason as you posted. Journalling helps me.

On the bacon topic - it's easier to find no sugar when you look at the low sodium bacon. But it's still tricky to find nitrate free. Most people here will tell you not to bother with bacon if its commercially raised because the bad stuff is in the fat but I certainly can't afford to spend $16 on the good stuff so I don't know... I didn't do any my first time around and I'm still on the fence about whether I'll get the conventional stuff this round. There's lots of posts on the topic here.

Your bacon doesn't need to be nitrate free, just free from sulfites (and the rest of the non compliant ingredients!)

I have two questions:

BP coffee would replace a fat - if you had it with breakfast, you may not need to add extra fat to your meal.

All vegetables and fruit, and having a variety, will ensure you get lots of nutrients to help your immunity. Making sure you're fuelling your body properly (eating to the meal template) will help you function better, making you better able to fight any bugs.

I'm starting my second round today. I did a whole30 in June and lost 9lbs. I felt more peaceful about food while doing the whole30 than I ever have in my life and its the only thing ive ever tried that allowed me to beat my sugar addiciton. I don't think I've ever gone that long without sugar at any other time in my 30 years on the planet! And on the whole, i felt better than ever but it wasn't the miracle I was hoping for. I still struggled with depression and anxiety and it even got worse during my whole30 although I never figured out if it was directly related or not. And I never got the tiger blood energy which was hugely disappointed because energy was one of my primary motivations for changing my lifestyle. So I got frustrated and quit and fell hard off the wagon. Like out of drug rehab and straight into the crack house. And naturally, I've felt worse than ever and gained back all the weight plus some. So I'm recommitting. And this time, I'm not stopping at 30 days no matter what the results. After the years of damage I've done, I think I just jumped the gun before and my body is going to take more time to heal and I need to just be patient and trust the process. I did not weigh or measure. I'm staying as far away from the scale as possible. Its a huge stumbling block for me. This is not about the weight. This is about my health and I believe that my weight will naturally fall into place in its own time, on its own schedule. I'm going to focus on the process. And I'm going to be as diligent about planning as possible. I found that that is key to success with this. I've got my meals ready, my fridge stocked. I've even got some kombucha fermenting. I'm ready!!

I started 9/9 too, and started an eating disorder support group same time.  At the first meeting I bonded with a recovered drug addict.  We both struggle from severe depression.  I think you sound really focused on the right priorities.  Know that you are not alone - in things other than just getting through all the veggies for 30, 45, 60+ days!  I send you my support in all things!  Do you have NAMI in your area? They have some amazing support groups for mental health, as well.  I strongly recommend.  It is SO helpful.

Day 2 went well. But, I just couldn't get myself out of bed this mroning and to the cardio gym for my new bootcamp class. I am beating myself up pretty bad over it, which isn't right, but I FEEL like I let myself down. I mean I have regualr work all day then I am teaching dance for 2.5 hours tonight... so I just beat myself in the head thinking I needed the extra 1:45 of sleep this morning. Now I have Lazy Butt remorse....

But, I am resolveing to get myself up tomorrow and running a bit. I HAVE got to get myself out of this rut. Okay enough of my frustratation at myself rant.

Having some egg muffins for breakfast and getting some work done.

Great job everyone! Keep up the good work!

Day three!  How is everyone holding up?

In case you aren't already obsessed with it, may I suggest whipping up a batch of Well Fed olive oil mayo? (Recipe can be found here: http://www.theclothe...-mayo-patience/ ) It's AMAZING.  I'm listing some different ways I use it, in hope that it gives you some ideas! :)

Mayo + balsamic vinegar = awesome salad dressing.

Mayo + fresh-squeezed lime juice + chili powder = awesome southwest-style sauce to top ANYTHING!

Mayo + canned tuna/chopped chicken/HB egg = quick protein & fat combo (good pre-WO meal!)

Mayo + chopped broccoli + raisins + sunflower seeds = awesome side dish

Mayo + anything = yuuuummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmy

:)

Out of curiosity, are there any other runners in this group?

@ carrot_flowers I am a runner first, weightlifter and dancer second. I am not the speediest in the bunch and consider myself more of an ultrarunner (when I am all healed up), right now I am just doing short 3-5 mile runs... over labor day weekend, I did a 7.9 leg of a half marathon relay and had a good run. The past few days I have been lazy and taking it easy to help nurse my injury, but my goal is to get up and do 2 miles tomorrow!

Thanks for the Mayo help... I am going to be whipping some up this weekend

*- I crossposted this in both 9/9 threads!

I am! Well, I'm a beginner runner. Just picked it up in July.

I'm currently in love with the Waldorf Tuna salad in Well Fed. That seems to be where all my mayo is going.

Hi All!  I'm late to the party but started my W30 on the 9th as well. 

I completed my first W30 in May with good results, 19lbs lost and 20in lost.  I still have plenty left to lose.  I found my key to success is to plan, plan, plan.  If I don't plan I make bad decisions and the worst time for me to make a decision about what to eat is when I'm starving. 

Unfortunately, I can't clear the house of non-compliant foods and DH is NOT on board at all.  Makes it challenging to have the food in the house but I survived last time, I can do so this time.  I didn't work out on my last W30, I've added walking in this time.  I need to add weights, which I have, but they're in the basement....with the spiders and I'm terrified of spiders :blink:  .  So I need to get over that hump and set up my work out space and tell myself, if I use it every day, the spiders won't have time to over take the space again.  I just need to do it!

Last W30 I went it alone.  Looking for support this time and and looking to lend my support :)  

Michelle

Day 2 went well. But, I just couldn't get myself out of bed this mroning and to the cardio gym for my new bootcamp class. I am beating myself up pretty bad over it, which isn't right, but I FEEL like I let myself down. I mean I have regualr work all day then I am teaching dance for 2.5 hours tonight... so I just beat myself in the head thinking I needed the extra 1:45 of sleep this morning. Now I have Lazy Butt remorse....

But, I am resolveing to get myself up tomorrow and running a bit. I HAVE got to get myself out of this rut. Okay enough of my frustratation at myself rant.

Having some egg muffins for breakfast and getting some work done.

Great job everyone! Keep up the good work!

I am so glad I subscribed to the newsletter this time around... While I was still beating myself up over not being able to get out of bed... BOOM I had my day three email that said its okay to sleep a litttle more and take it easy with the exercise... PHEW.

I read the e mail on Day 2 and slowed down a bit, but kept moving slowly.  I hit a huge wall last night of nausea, pain, and self despair.  I feel no hunger on this plan.  More, nausea at the thought of trying to swallow any food.  No food sounds good.  More the opposite.  The thought of swallowing anything....  eeeepp.  Last night i was hitting that wall, and forced myself to eat part of my dinner.  20" later and the negative self thoughts, crying, and nausea had passed.  I remembered this feeling this morning and ate a 1/2 a banana as soon as I got out of bed.  What a difference.  That crappy feeling again passed within a few minutes.  A little faster than last night because of the higher natural sugar of the banana.  Today is day four and I have much more energy.  

Day three!  How is everyone holding up?

In case you aren't already obsessed with it, may I suggest whipping up a batch of Well Fed olive oil mayo? (Recipe can be found here: http://www.theclothe...-mayo-patience/ ) It's AMAZING.  I'm listing some different ways I use it, in hope that it gives you some ideas! :)

Mayo + balsamic vinegar = awesome salad dressing.

Mayo + fresh-squeezed lime juice + chili powder = awesome southwest-style sauce to top ANYTHING!

Mayo + canned tuna/chopped chicken/HB egg = quick protein & fat combo (good pre-WO meal!)

Mayo + chopped broccoli + raisins + sunflower seeds = awesome side dish

Mayo + anything = yuuuummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmy

:)

Both Mike and I love the mayo.  I have found countless things to do with it.  I added curry powder and made a salad of turkey celery, grape halves, cashew, and a small amt of coconut.  Would skip the coconut next time.  

I am a runner.  I have done several half marathons, and triathlons.  I am very very very slow.  Now with the history of a severed tendon in my foot I am even slower.  After shoulder surgery I am having trouble with my running.  I am building slowly.  I have a 10k on Sept 28 in Vegas.  And a half in Seattle Dec 1st.  My hope is to be able to extend my run periods, and cut the walk periods.  It is being a slow heart breaking process.  Three years ago I could run 15 miles without stopping.  Now......not so much.  I have hope though.  I am just like that.

@marieke Hope this Whole 30 helps you heal!

@MadscienceM YES! I'm loving the e-mails, I must agree. I'm not a fast runner, either. I do speed workouts to help prepare for races, but I prefer long-distance runs. Lately, I've only had time for 3-5 milers, too... mostly 3-milers. Plus, my last Whole 30 I was severely lacking energy and getting really bummed about it. I would go out for a run and have to walk after a mile, or I would run all three and then find out my pace was super slow even though it was tough for me to get through. I think I just need to get out of that head space. I worry too much about not being able to run and then I'm like a self-fulfilling prophecy.

@Ruby - nice! How have your runs been since starting the Whole 30 (if you've had any yet)?  AND OMG that tuna salad is amazing. I bring it to every potluck I attend so that I know I have something to eat! SO GOOD.

@cortner - Impressive! The longest run I've ever done is 9 miles. Does Whole 30 affect your running at all? I had a hell of a time running during my last Whole 30 attempt (only made it to Day 19), and it was super discouraging.

Day 2 went well. I had some strawberries and blueberries with coconut cream after my steak last night. Very tasty :)

Day 3 - today I have been to work. I only work 2 days a week and I found today hard to be enthusiastic and motivated. I also went to the loo more often than normal. Detox is kicking in :)

Breakfast - prosciutto ham with fresh figs - these are a real treat which my husband brought home from a customer. Perfectly ripe and rare in the UK. I drizzled them with avocado oil so hit the template.

Lunch - smoked mackerel with coleslaw (half a bag of stir fry veg mixed with my own mayo) and another lovely fig

Dinner - pork tenderloin cut into rings and fried in lard served with a mix of onion, yellow pepper, orange pepper, courgette and apple pan fried in olive oil. And a baked sweet potato with mayo. A few strawberries with coconut cream to finish.

The berries have gone now and I won't buy any more as I don't want to get into the habit of having desserts. 

I received my first email mid morning and I am looking forward to clicking on the 'I Did It' link tonight. 

I hope everyone is doing ok. I haven't been to the gym this week but may go for a swim on Friday - gentle exercise and a steam/sauna session afterwards. Lovely. 

@ SharynF- good for you and not buying anymore berries! I try to not eat any fruit during or after my dinner, because ti puts me into a dessert mode and thats not good.

And I just got some fresh figs from one of my coworkers tree (Live in USA)... some am looking forward to using them in something...

Is anybody else confused about how to cook? There's so much information and I'm getting overwhelmed! The master recipes in ISWF are kind of hard for me to understand. I don't know if I could all vegetables separate? I feel like I need a Whole30 for dummies!

Is anybody else confused about how to cook? There's so much information and I'm getting overwhelmed! The master recipes in ISWF are kind of hard for me to understand. I don't know if I could all vegetables separate? I feel like I need a Whole30 for dummies!

Keep it simple. Start with proteins and vegetables that you like to eat, add compliant fats and follow the meal template for every meal. Introduce new food items as you feel comfortable or want more variety.

Breakfast - prosciutto ham with fresh figs - these are a real treat which my husband brought home from a customer. Perfectly ripe and rare in the UK. I drizzled them with avocado oil so hit the template.

Sharyn, enjoy your fruit by all means, but don't let the fruit push vegies off your plate! You should be aiming for 2-3 cups per meal :)

Prosciutto and figs are delicious together in salad, along with some walnuts and balsamic!

Keep it simple. Start with proteins and vegetables that you like to eat, add compliant fats and follow the meal template for every meal. Introduce new food items as you feel comfortable or want more variety.

ITA!  Keep it simple.  I do not like veggies.  I'm learning to like them but it's slow going. During my first W30 I realized I like sweet potatoes as long as they're on the savory side and I love grilled eggplant.  I kept it really simple my first time thru.  Had a couple of "go to" recipes.  I love Well Feds chocolate chili.  I doubled it and had 1 batch for the week and froze the other.  To round it out I take 2 cups of spinach and mix it in when I'm reheating it (protein, fat and veggies in one bowl).  My breakfasts are boring but I'm not a big breakfast eater.  On Sunday, I make sweet potato hash for the week with onions and compliant sausage or bacon.  Then before work I heat that up in the microwave, throw in 3 scrambled eggs and I'm good to go.  I need to try out more recipes.  I love making my own mayo and did tuna salad a couple of times.  A lot of times, like tonight, dinner was grilled g.f. steak, grilled eggplant and salad dressed with olive oil, salt and pepper.   

@marieke Hope this Whole 30 helps you heal!

@MadscienceM YES! I'm loving the e-mails, I must agree. I'm not a fast runner, either. I do speed workouts to help prepare for races, but I prefer long-distance runs. Lately, I've only had time for 3-5 milers, too... mostly 3-milers. Plus, my last Whole 30 I was severely lacking energy and getting really bummed about it. I would go out for a run and have to walk after a mile, or I would run all three and then find out my pace was super slow even though it was tough for me to get through. I think I just need to get out of that head space. I worry too much about not being able to run and then I'm like a self-fulfilling prophecy.

@Ruby - nice! How have your runs been since starting the Whole 30 (if you've had any yet)?  AND OMG that tuna salad is amazing. I bring it to every potluck I attend so that I know I have something to eat! SO GOOD.

@cortner - Impressive! The longest run I've ever done is 9 miles. Does Whole 30 affect your running at all? I had a hell of a time running during my last Whole 30 attempt (only made it to Day 19), and it was super discouraging.

I have been thinking about the whole self fulfilling prophecy thing.  I think you hit it right on the head.  Me too!  I am only on day 4 of my first round.  But my running has been pretty bad for a while now.  I took some time off last fall from running at my coach's insistence.  Ever since I restarted I have all kinds of problems.  My longest run this summer is 4 miles, last week.  That was not continuous.  I stop and walk too much.  This has been a problem for a while now.  It is not better in this first week. 

Day 2 went well. I had some strawberries and blueberries with coconut cream after my steak last night. Very tasty :)

Day 3 - today I have been to work. I only work 2 days a week and I found today hard to be enthusiastic and motivated. I also went to the loo more often than normal. Detox is kicking in :)

Lunch - smoked mackerel with coleslaw (half a bag of stir fry veg mixed with my own mayo) and another lovely fig

Dinner - pork tenderloin cut into rings and fried in lard served with a mix of onion, yellow pepper, orange pepper, courgette and apple pan fried in olive oil. And a baked sweet potato with mayo. A few strawberries with coconut cream to finish.

The berries have gone now and I won't buy any more as I don't want to get into the habit of having desserts. 

I received my first email mid morning and I am looking forward to clicking on the 'I Did It' link tonight. 

I hope everyone is doing ok. I haven't been to the gym this week but may go for a swim on Friday - gentle exercise and a steam/sauna session afterwards. Lovely. 

The swim sounds amazing.  I really miss it.  I love clicking that link.  I usually do it in the morning after.  Once I know I made it through the night!

@ SharynF- good for you and not buying anymore berries! I try to not eat any fruit during or after my dinner, because ti puts me into a dessert mode and thats not good.

And I just got some fresh figs from one of my coworkers tree (Live in USA)... some am looking forward to using them in something...

I have had fig infused balsalmic vinegar.  I wonder if you could chop a fresh fig, heat on the stove with a bit of water until it can be mashed smooth.  Add the vinegar off heat, let it sit for a while, then strain off the vinegar to use later?  Legal????  Or, "sex with your pants on"?  I think it would be amazing over fresh garden tomatoes.  

I am having a MUCH better day!  My eating, including after workout meal were good.  Still a little tough to choke down the baked sweet potato after my run, but I ate what I could.

day 4

B one scrambled egg, one chicken sausage stir fried in ghee with tomato, zuchini, bell pepper, onion.  1/2 small sweet potato grated into "hashbrown with a bit of hot pepper.  ( I didn't finish the sausage/veggie mix)  I should have done half.

Post WO meal ( I ran about an hour after breakfast)  one ground beef slider, and the other half of the sweet potato from breakfast.  small shavings of the coconut mana-  I couldn't finish this, even with the coconut on it.

L sliced turkey breast, large salad with 1/2 avocado, chili lime mayo and sliced tomato with balsalmic vinegar, grapes, and macadamia nuts as I felt I was a bit short on fat so far today.

D still working on my dinner plan. A sliced turkey again with mashed cauliflower, and Kale chips??  B maybe a recipe I found once for thai beef meatballs with the same sides??  Not sure.  Meatballs if I want to cook, and get to the grocery store.  

Just finished our dinner.  I made it to the store.  We made the NomNomPaleo Asian Meatballs, and her Garlic Mashed Cauliflower as well. Super great!  Both of these will be part of our usual menu.  I also steamed some carrot slices, then sauted them in half ghee, half coconut oil.  Then a little lime juice off heat.  Very successful dinner.  

VERY SUCCESSFUL DAY 4!!!!

Archived