Whole30 September 1 2013

Marjan

Helen,

that's what I'm more concerned about too (going off the rails after this W30), and i'm seriously thinking a W60 would be a better idea for me.  The stronger these new habits become, the better. 

I had forgotten that the timeline said Days 10-11 were tough and that people often quit during that time.  I re-read it yesterday and it made me feel better. Plus I had read all of your posts which helped too.  I wasn't/am not feeling deprived, but I was (and still am a little) feeling disappointed because my last W30 my mood was SO good.  Eating clean was like an antidepressant!  This time, I had been really irritable and draggy during days 10-11 and was looking to the W30 prgram/lifestyle to make me feel better (rather than looking to a box of doughnuts) and it didn't really do the trick this time.  And THAT made me want to give up a little.  But only a little.  And I didn't, and I'm still here, taking it one square, whole, clean, fantastic, fueling meal at a time.

Have a great day and be good to yourselves.

• Replies 615
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is so awesome to read how well everyone is doing!!  Really inspiring and encouraging stuff here.  I'm to day 12, yay!  

I also can barely keep up with the dishes.  I'm doing a LOT of cooking - whole30 for four.  It is turning to convenience foods after the 30 that I'm a bit concerned about.  At some point, I'm actually going to have spend more time at work.  I've been taking it easy and putting the program first, especially since the rest of my family is so helpless about finding something appropriate to put into their mouths. 

At my gym consult yesterday, I had to be weighed and measured and calipered and all that... I told the trainer and myself that I would not peek at the number on the scale.... but at the last minute, I did.  It was really anticlimactic since the number is what I mentally estimated my weight to be anyway.  And this morning, I was like, "I need to make sure that other scale is accurate," and weighed again (this time before breakfast, naked, etc.).  A wicked, full out cheat.

The scale is hidden away now, and I'm glad it didn't make me sad.  I'm encouraged because I've added more fat to my meals to keep me full long enough, and I keep tasting and nibbling while I'm cooking, so the add'l calories, you know... but there was a surprising number there this morning, so.....

I keep dreaming that I eat something with a little sugar or wheat in it, like ketchup.  I dreamed of some beautiful beverage I was drinking and suddenly realized it had barley kernels in it.  I filtered out the kernels (in my dream) and drank the beverage anyway, even though I was worried about what was in the fluid from the barley.

HALT.  Last night my husband was trying to keep me up past my bedtime to watch Star Trek.  I suddenly started craving popcorn, as I sat there yawning.  I had to turn to him and tell him I'd have to finish the movie tomorrow, because I was "*tired.*  I went to bed and fell right to sleep.

I've got to figure out something gentle for breakfast.  This morning was soft scrambled eggs and mayo, which was better than yesterday, but...

On the mayo thread, I make it in a ninja blender (the small one) and it comes out perfect.  I make it like Well Fed, but with apple cider vinegar instead of lemon.  I just like it better that way.  It's great just mixing into cooked vegetables for some flavor.  Yesterday I sauteed cabbage and finished it with coconut aminos and mayo, and it made a nice creamy, but light sauce for the cabbage.

And now I have to run to an appt... !  Have a great day everybody.

HALT.  Last night my husband was trying to keep me up past my bedtime to watch Star Trek.  I suddenly started craving popcorn, as I sat there yawning.  I had to turn to him and tell him I'd have to finish the movie tomorrow, because I was "*tired.*  I went to bed and fell right to sleep.

@Helen. Talk about a relationship with food...if I could marry popcorn, I would. We would date, I would propose, popcorn would say yes, we would run away to Puerta Vallarta and live happily, and well-buttered, ever after. Amen. It's gotten so bad I've actually had to tell my non food-fantasy wife that I will not go to a movie theater that has lousy popcorn. In fact I won't go to a movie theater during W30 because I can't deal with the (sniff) no popcorn. 

Sadly, at my worst I'm a bowl a day popcorn-a-holic. Totally powerless over it. Next to sugar, it's crack. Add a movie like Star Trek (which I'm about to rent as well) or binge watching on old BBC cop drama on Netflix and I call that a lost weekend. 

So I stand up and applaud your resolve in escaping the popcorn gravity and going to bed. Well done, you. It gives me hope. We have a date night coming up wherein we'll be going to the free Drive-in movie night. The last one we went to was pre-W30 and well, not pretty. Popcorn featured highly as did Cheese Crunchies, I could go on. Suffice to say this time it'll be a W30 date, jn fact we thought maybe we'll bring real "dates", like with almonds stuffed inside as a snack and eat a good dinner before. Ironic AND healthy. 

Today I'm watching my caffeine intake. On the W9 blog a week ago or so Dallas said something about giving up coffee like, "who needs it?" or words to that effect. My initial reaction was..." I do. Thanks. Now go away and don't make me feel crappy about my coffee. It's the last bastion of allowable drug there is. I don't drink, I don't smoke, okay I tend to self medicate a bit on food but damn...don't be gettin' up in my coffee, bro! It's all I have left!" 

Cut to yesterday morning. My wife and I are having an epic argument about fonts, so in other words, Thursday. But seriously this one is getting a little too uncivil too quickly and WHILE I'm defending some point about slab serifs vs. x-height, I sense that this argument is being sponsored by Organic French Roast and pretty much nothing else. 

I have no science to support it but it seems like my sensitivity to caffeine might be increasing right along with this W30. Or maybe the awareness of it, or both. Anyone out there having a similar experience? 

So I guess add coffee to the list of dysfunctional food relationships along with sugar, popcorn, pancakes, a certain brand of Cheese Crunchies from an unnamed store chain with the initials T.J. Crap. 

I have no interest in giving up coffee and I make no apologies. 

But I will say that without sweetener and whitener (notice how vague I was on the additives?), I drink it much more slowly and mindfully and I drink less. So maybe it's less dysfunctional now?  I like it.  Organic French Roast can sponsor an argument of mine anytime.

On the mayo thread, I make it in a ninja blender (the small one) and it comes out perfect.  I make it like Well Fed, but with apple cider vinegar instead of lemon.  I just like it better that way.  It's great just mixing into cooked vegetables for some flavor.  Yesterday I sauteed cabbage and finished it with coconut aminos and mayo, and it made a nice creamy, but light sauce for the cabbage.

And now I have to run to an appt... !  Have a great day everybody.

I have tried the well-fed mayo and I didn't love it.  However, maybe that's because I didn't quite follow the recipe.  I used lime juice instead of lemon and 1/2 EVOO and 1/2 normal olive oil.  Also, I'm still a little weirded out about eating a raw egg.  Perhaps I'll try it again and follow the recipe this time!

Timely discussion....I had the WORST day yesterday, one in which I had to actually lie down on the floor in a darkened office and nap during the middle of the day. Later, after the long horrible day, I was in a death-spiral of despair in which All Looked Black and I wailed "why are we even dooooing this????" 

My husband said, "when did you last have tea?"

I am giving up caffeine because I am concerned about stress management right now, and I suspect caffeine isn't helping. I guess I never really let myself go as many days as are necessary for the withdrawal symptoms to start. 

The knowledge isn't necessarily making it easier for me to get through, but it is making me more resolved to ride this out. 

I have tried the well-fed mayo and I didn't love it.  However, maybe that's because I didn't quite follow the recipe.  I used lime juice instead of lemon and 1/2 EVOO and 1/2 normal olive oil.  Also, I'm still a little weirded out about eating a raw egg.  Perhaps I'll try it again and follow the recipe this time!

Raw egg=nummy!  For me, the most important ingredient is extra-light olive oil.  I did EVOO and ended up throwing the whole thing away.  It tasted like what I imagine some fresh 10-40 engine oil tastes!

@Helen. Talk about a relationship with food...if I could marry popcorn, I would. We would date, I would propose, popcorn would say yes, we would run away to Puerta Vallarta and live happily, and well-buttered, ever after. Amen. It's gotten so bad I've actually had to tell my non food-fantasy wife that I will not go to a movie theater that has lousy popcorn. In fact I won't go to a movie theater during W30 because I can't deal with the (sniff) no popcorn. 

Sadly, at my worst I'm a bowl a day popcorn-a-holic. Totally powerless over it. Next to sugar, it's crack. Add a movie like Star Trek (which I'm about to rent as well) or binge watching on old BBC cop drama on Netflix and I call that a lost weekend. 

So I stand up and applaud your resolve in escaping the popcorn gravity and going to bed. Well done, you. It gives me hope. We have a date night coming up wherein we'll be going to the free Drive-in movie night. The last one we went to was pre-W30 and well, not pretty. Popcorn featured highly as did Cheese Crunchies, I could go on. Suffice to say this time it'll be a W30 date, jn fact we thought maybe we'll bring real "dates", like with almonds stuffed inside as a snack and eat a good dinner before. Ironic AND healthy. 

Today I'm watching my caffeine intake. On the W9 blog a week ago or so Dallas said something about giving up coffee like, "who needs it?" or words to that effect. My initial reaction was..." I do. Thanks. Now go away and don't make me feel crappy about my coffee. It's the last bastion of allowable drug there is. I don't drink, I don't smoke, okay I tend to self medicate a bit on food but damn...don't be gettin' up in my coffee, bro! It's all I have left!" 

Cut to yesterday morning. My wife and I are having an epic argument about fonts, so in other words, Thursday. But seriously this one is getting a little too uncivil too quickly and WHILE I'm defending some point about slab serifs vs. x-height, I sense that this argument is being sponsored by Organic French Roast and pretty much nothing else. 

I have no science to support it but it seems like my sensitivity to caffeine might be increasing right along with this W30. Or maybe the awareness of it, or both. Anyone out there having a similar experience? 

So I guess add coffee to the list of dysfunctional food relationships along with sugar, popcorn, pancakes, a certain brand of Cheese Crunchies from an unnamed store chain with the initials T.J. Crap. 

@jpketz - It helped that there wasn't any popcorn in the house!  And we actually stayed home because of the theater popcorn thing.  

As to coffee, I spilled my americano this morning before I got to have any of it.  Boo!  I'm not in a hurry to give up coffee, but I do notice that I drink a lot less of it.

Ah yes, I was stubborn and tried it with EVOO, I chucked the whole lot. So, yes, follow the recipe, do not substitute :-)

Spot on.  I'm not ready to give up coffee but I already watch my caffeine consumption as I can't sleep at night if I have anything after noon. 

I feel so 'meh' about everything today.  I had a nice yoga class at least.  Just ready for the magic to begin.

Oh, coffee, delicious coffee  :) I'm not going to give it up, now that I'm finally enjoying black coffee but I am going to buy decaf black tea when I go to the store today. I'm an iced tea-holic and I noticed after I ran out last week that I've been sleeping better with just my coffee in the morning and not drinking caffeinated tea all day long. I love the flavor though so I'm just gonna switch to decaf except when I'm eating out. So less caffeine, I think it's good for me.

Today's kind of a crappy day in the food department, because it's payday and I'm pretty much out of things and can't go buy more until after work.

Day 13:

Breakfast - 2 slices of veggie & egg quiche

Lunch - Two lettuce wrapped beef burgers from Larkburger, with tomatoes, pickles, and mustard. It occurred to me after that the pickles probably weren't compliant  :( Oh well.

Dinner - no clue, probably spaghetti squash and tomato & meat sauce

Buying all the food tonight and doing a cooking day tomorrow. Yay new noms.

You are forewarned. This is a rant. I apologize for the negativity in advance.

Day 13 should be labeled, No Filter because I do not have one today. Not that I'm being rude about how I say things, I'm just being stern and getting my point across when I otherwise would think a little more before I spoke to make sure I didn't offend other parties. Today, not the case.  I've apologized a few times to my coworker about my snarky comments. Thankfully he understands.

Exhausted today. Feel crappy. What I was hoping was allergies I'm pretty sure is a cold. It sucks. The pressure sucks. The feeling that I'm going to sneeze every five minutes and then don't, sucks. The post-nasal drip sucks. The dripping out my nose at random times throughout the day sucks. It kind of all sucks and all I want to do is go home and curl up on the couch and nap. But that won't happen because I have to make effing curry because I'm doing an effing WHOLE30 and I need to make every damn thing I put into my body. Yeah. So Day 13 should also be labeled, this sucks, eff all the things!

I thought we were supposed to turn a new leaf on day 13?

@ all the mayo talk. I made it with EVOO too because its what I had on hand. Bleck. But I ate it anyway because I'm die hard like that. Joking. About being die hard. Not about eating it....

Exhausted today. Feel crappy. What I was hoping was allergies I'm pretty sure is a cold. It sucks. The pressure sucks. The feeling that I'm going to sneeze every five minutes and then don't, sucks. The post-nasal drip sucks. The dripping out my nose at random times throughout the day sucks. It kind of all sucks and all I want to do is go home and curl up on the couch and nap. But that won't happen because I have to make effing curry because I'm doing an effing WHOLE30 and I need to make every damn thing I put into my body. Yeah. So Day 13 should also be labeled, this sucks, eff all the things!

@ all the mayo talk. I made it with EVOO too because its what I had on hand. Bleck. But I ate it anyway because I'm die hard like that. Joking. About being die hard. Not about eating it....

@sdoucette, you're slaying me because that is exactly how I feel today!  Day 13 - Eff All The Things!!  You just made my day a helluva lot easier. Thank you!

(Yes, I am totally stalking this board today because my brain is the consistency of over-cooked cauliflower rice, and I can't focus on my work to save my life.)

What am I going to do without you all when the 30 is over?

@sdoucette, you're slaying me because that is exactly how I feel today!  Day 13 - Eff All The Things!!  You just made my day a helluva lot easier. Thank you!

(Yes, I am totally stalking this board today because my brain is the consistency of over-cooked cauliflower rice, and I can't focus on my work to save my life.)

What am I going to do without you all when the 30 is over?

Maybe we should just keep going once the Whole30 is over.

I do not feel great and need sleep....

When is this Tiger Blood kicking in...waiting for it!

Had a run tonight,went better than monday but not great....

Hello everyone!

I just finished day 5. 

Today I had one of those food dreams. 

I dreamed I had eaten some sweet wafers and when I realized I was doing WHOLE30, I panicked! 

The weird thing is that even before WHOLE30 I was not eating wafers or using it to indulge myself or something. That was really odd! 

Of course that my pre WHOLE30 diet was not perfect, I would indulge myself during weekends mostly on wine, desserts, pasta, etc.... 

And despite not having weight issues nowadays I used to weigh about 40 pounds more and had compulsive eating disorder. 

In order to be here, commiting myself to WHOLE3O I had to learn so much before! And still, this is being a really true learning experience for me. 

I am really enjoying readin all the stories around here, and if I can help you guys with anything, I'll sure try to really hard!

Have a nice weekend, everyone and keep going! 

Misshannah, thank you for your post. I thought I was the only one having a rotten day. I even took today off because I slept so badly I couldn't/didn't want to face the world today. It worked in my favor, I think I needed the day to pull myself together since after this weekend I have to work the next 17 days in a row.

I drink less coffee now that I put coconut oil in it, it's super filling, but I don't like the idea of giving it up. I'm a bit distressed that I can't have Starbuck's pumpkin spice syrup, especially since I missed the entire season of it last year. My son only really does W30 at dinner w/ me, but since he knew I was home today he left school to have lunch w me at home. I made him a mini version of dinner from last night. Tonight he told me that was the best lunch he's had all year. I don't think I can afford to feed him 2 meals of W30 a day though (typically we don't have leftovers to use) so we'll have to figure something out.

I bought ghee today :) I'll make cauliflower rice tomorrow and try it out.

Hope everyone has a good evening and as far as going on an all out binger when this is over, I think our bodies will totally reject that idea and tell us so before too much regression happens. That's what I'm hoping for anyway. Goodnight.

You are forewarned. This is a rant. I apologize for the negativity in advance.

Day 13 should be labeled, No Filter because I do not have one today. Not that I'm being rude about how I say things, I'm just being stern and getting my point across when I otherwise would think a little more before I spoke to make sure I didn't offend other parties. Today, not the case.  I've apologized a few times to my coworker about my snarky comments. Thankfully he understands.

Oh, I am so with you today. Any little thing has set me off and I am so over all of it! So glad I'm not alone on this one.

Enjoyed your rant SDOUCETTE!  Sorry, but I did.  Eff all the things was definitely my mantra for Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday.  But guess what?  On Friday (your "Eff all the things day"), things got better.  I had a rare hour in the house to myself, I had a great workout, I got a lot of administrative crap for my job done, I cooked a beautiful roast chicken, and then we watched the movie, Spies Like Us from 1985.  Is that a good day or what?  So even if the day's mantra is Eff All The Things, don't forget about that other one...This Too Shall Pass.

One other quick nod for making the mayo just as Well Fed says.  I don't mind it with EVOO but it's better with regular (or light).  I now bring a little tub of it to work and keep it in the fridge with a bunch of cut veggies in case my lunches are shy on veggies or fat.  Love the mayo.  Will never use anything else!

Archived