Well, here we go!

HikeMoreTrails

Three days ago I had never even heard of the Paleo diet and today I woke up and said, "Why wait?" I can tell you one reason I wanted to wait originally was because I really have no idea what I'm actually doing! I've read a bit here and there, downloaded It Starts With Food and began reading it last night. I'm committed to just dive in and learn along the way.

So far today I've had:

morning:

1 c coffee w/coconut milk

1 coconut/salad smoothie (1c coconut milk, 2 raw free range organic eggs, 4 whole strawberries, handful of fresh: raspberries, blueberries, blackberries and 2 handsful of organic, washed spring salad, hit mix & drink!)

1 c black coffee during a meeting (actually wasn't too bad!)

afternoon:

6 oz Laura's lean beef ribeye steak cooked in pan with olive oil, salt & pepper

cut & put over organic washed spring salad

1 large serving of steamed broccoli

1 clemintine

1 bannana

32 oz water

=============================

Probably what I'm most apprehensive about is the sweets! (carbs too, in a pinch)/// I'm a recovering alcoholic (been in recovery since June '03, relapsed with one drink 5 mths later so alcohol sobriety date is Dec 1, 2003. Played around with Percocet for a couple weeks in August of 2005, so I consider my official sobriety date to be August 19, 2005)..... ANYWAY... sugar worked well for me getting through those early years of sobriety... I'm pretty sure I lived on coffee, ice cream and pixie sticks...

Some of my other issues have been rearing their ugly head as well... mood, heart palpatations, fatigue (exhaustion is more like it), insomnia, migranes (with aura -- freaky!), neck pain (degenerative disk c5-c6), L shoulder issues, general inflamation wrecking havoc on my whole system... ugh....

As I just wrote that I thought, ya know what, I'm unbelievably glad to not be waiting even one more day to be in the solution... I'm so tired of carrying all that^ around!

So that's the intoduction for now. Figured I'd better jump in and get accountable before I change my mind. Will check in later.

Thanks everyone for being here and sharing your stories. This site is amazing.

Maggie

so far so good. this afternoon was rough a couple times though...

I did some snacking:

a spoonful of almond butter,

small handful of sunflower seeds,

and some unsweetened coconut flakes...

for dinner I made tacos -- a family favorite and I was able to eat taco salad, while family got to have what they wanted. I also learned how to make taco seasoning! it tasted pretty darn good, I must say.

taco meat: grass-fed beef, taco seasoning (chili powder, cumin, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano), small amount of mild chi-chi salsa (no sugar so I thought it might be ok),

organic spring mix salad

organic guacamole (no sugar no preservs etc)

sprinkle of organic (no hormones added) shredded cheddar

but no sour cream! that's a first for me. I usually use a ton of it with tacos...

then after dinner I still had that I-need-something-sweet feeling so I had a clementine & some coconut flakes and 32 oz water.

<phew> I'm pretty happy with the progress of today! coffee with no creamer and taco salad with no sourcream (or chips!) ... that's enormous progress... (did I mention that I didn't have any sugar today?! yay!!!)

maggie

(and no sugar!!!! amazing... course I still have a couple hours to go)

ok, lemme add a coconut smoothie:

(unsweetened) coconut milk

large handful blueberries

biggish slice of honeydew

I know I'm probably eating too much fruit, but I'm trying to stave off that sugar monkey. it 's more difficult than I expected... reminds me so much of when I quit smoking 11 years ago... just sneaks into your brain all subtle and friendly-like. jeez.

Hi Maggie,

Welcome!! I love that you are just jumping right in!! That's basically what I did after discovering Whole30 and it worked!

You will find a TON of support on these forums. I also learned a lot by reading other people's logs--lots of good food ideas!

There are a bunch of blogs that have paleo recipes but the two that I love the most are http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/ and http://nomnompaleo.com/. The each also have their own cookbooks which are both AMAZING: http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/wellfed/ and http://app.nomnompaleo.com/ . These two in addition to the recipes in ISWF have been huge helps to me.

Best wishes on your Whole30!!

Thanks for the support guys!... Still doing well and feeling pretty good too...

B

4 pieces of bacon

2egg omelette with tiny bit of cheese (still working on my cheese indulgence), serving of salad greens, sea salt, pepper... cooked with bacon pan

2 c coffee w coconut milk

L

subway veggie salad with: lettuce, cucumbers, banana peppers, pickles, turkey & double avacado,,, this was tough b/c I was out & about all day, this seemed to work. salad was large, ate whole thing. large water

snack: mixed nuts, large glass of coconut milk

oddly enough wasn't hungry for dinner but had a cup of herbal tea & will soon be off to bed.

another day no sugar!!!! will write more about my emotions surrounding all this later... I'm on my phone, so just wanted to get my foods down for accountability.

maggie

Thanks Carol!

well, I woke up crabby and hungry. I think it's probably because I hadn't had anything of substinance for many hours. need to find a go-to food to keep my blood sugars regulated overnight.

B

3egg omelette with salad greens, chopped up chix (about 3T), chopped tomatoes, tiny but of cheese, seasalt & pepper... cooked in 2T olive oil

large glass of water

1 banana

2C coffee, black

(ran out of coconut milk!)

mid afternoon snack

coconut milk, peach, sm. clementine

really fighting off the sugardemon today... been tough .. so far so good though I think I'm probably eating too much fruit. hoping to level that off over the next couple weeks.

day 3 without sugar, tough but do-able.

day 4

B

3egg omelette with tomato, salad greens, cheddar cheese, 1/2 avacado seasalt pepper, cooked in 2Tcoconut oil

large water

1c coffee w coconut milk

tried a second cup of coffee & just didn't feel like drinking it, so I switched to water

Snack

smoothie

1 whole apple

1 lg slice honeydew

2 handsful lettuce

3T coconut oil

1/2 c coconut milk

mint leaves

You are doing GREAT!. I'm fighting a surgar demon too. To be honest, do you think you may be be feeding your demon just a little with all of that fruit? Especially in a smoothie because you aren't eating it, you are drinking it. If you sat down, could you eat everything you put into the smoothie? The applie might have been enough. (don't mean to sound critical, because I KNOW how strong that sugar demon is, and I fight him at night during and after dinner).

hobbitgirl, please don't apologize, you're absolutly spot on. I told myself that for the first 3-4 days I was going to do whatever it took to keep from eating sugar... it's time though to relinquish my "safety" smoothies...

I still have only read the beginning of ISWF but got the sidden urge to jump in and lesrn along the way. and from what I've read on here and with help like yours , Im realizing that I'm doing is just replacing one for the other.,. ugh!

Thank you so much for your post, it's what community is all about!

Maggie

Trust me...I'm right there with you on the sugar thing. I have no fruit at all during the day, so when I get home at night it's REALLY hard to resist diving into a bowl of grapes or pineapple. And I loved my morning smoothies too when I was just doing paleo.

My other difficulty was being totally addicted to using Mio in my water. Crystal light gave me migraines, so I switched, but on W30 it's a heep big no no too. Now my issue is that I don't think I'm drining enough water during the day because I liked my sweetened water. Plain water is just so...plain (and I've tried using some lemon or orange and...well....meh...).

still doing well. today was a little easier, probably cause I was able to get to the studio and paint :)

B

3 egg omelette in coconut oil with lots of spinach, a little cheese, seasalt & pepper

L

mixed greens, cut up chicken breast, olive oil, tiny bit of balsamic vinegar, hardboiled eggs

D

smorgesboard of meat: pork tenderloin, beef, chicken

desert

6 cherries, handful of blueberries, 3 strawberries

also had a probiotic in pill form... I was just starting to get a canker sore when I started this and of course my high intake of fruit the past few days hasn't helped... I did have some fruit today after dinner, but I was at a party and it was certainly the better choice of that or apple pie and raspberry tart... proud I made it through that actually!

I'm have a Girl Scout camp out (in a-frame tents) for a few day starting on Sunday and was really worried about eating there! I've decided to pack a few omelettes pre-made, some pre-cooked meat etc -- they have a salad bar, and maybe take some coconut milk & oil? any thoughts on this would be great. I will have access to a fridge and a microwave.

B

1c coffee w coconut milk & 1/2 T coconut oil

glass of water (8 oz)

2 sliced applewood smoked bacon

3 egg omelette cooked after bacon pan

w spinach, seasalt, paper, topped with little bit of salsa & whole avacado

8 blueberries, 3 strawberries, slice of mango, 3 blackberries

I'm at camp with my daughter for next few days, but I planned ahead and am determined to make this work!

B

2c coffee w coconut milk

1/2 c leftover beef

2 slices of coconut oil

L

smoothie

coconut milk

1 apple

handful berries

mango slice

lg handful spinach

1T coconut oil

D

1 avacado

mixed veggies w a little salt (broccoli cauliflower, carrots)

3/4c leftover cut up beef

apple

Thanks Ann. Yeah, gotta admit that passing on campout s'mores was *not* easy, to be sure... Still though, I had a handful of coconut flakes -- gave me something to munch on and I'm going to bed with a HUGE smile on my face. :). ... It feels great to be building a history of eating well.

B

omelette w spinach & salsa

apple

2c coffee w coconut milk

1c coconut milk

L

all meat hot dog ... didn't have any food that i brought so I ate it and I'll tell ya what, I've never been a fan, but without bread & ketchup YUCK

salad greens, peas, cheese, cucumbers, oil &v..,

apple

was so displeased that I then went to Kroger.,,

(hard to make good choices among bad stuff)

afternoon snack

hard boiled egg

handful cashews

all fruit roll (no sugar, but prob some stuff in it I don't want to eat)

D

foil dinner: ground beef, onion, potato, corn

fruit roll

also had 1 fish oil caplet

--------------------

I am so over trying to eat like this while on a girlscouts campout in 100* weather! I hate to sound so whiny but it ain't easy. not always great choices today (hot dog,, fruit thing) but the best I can do right now.... we go home wed!

it has cooled off to something like 85* so I'm gonna try to get some sleep... zzzzzzz

Maggie

Archived