Going to try the auto immune protocol. Need help and advice!!

Irish Rose

I have been primal for a year, done a recent whole30 but didn't get relief of my excema or sinuse congestion. I want to give the auto-immune protocol a go at the end of the month but I am scared!

What will I cook without tomatoes, eggs and peppers!

How will I cope without coffee!

Please can anyone who has done it recommend a cook book, I love well fed but a lot won't be suitable as I believe chilli, cayenne and paprika is out??

Also, what happens AFTER the 30 days? I know I can't do that long term. Far too restrictive, I would go insane! "Normal" paleo / primal is now easy for me but the excema flares up at the end of my cycle every month and disrupts my sleep.

Very grateful for any advice : )))

Hi Irish, I did the AIP for my first W30. For breakfast I did  pork patties with sweet potatoes. I am also nightshade intolerant, so giving them up wasn't a huge deal for me, although not using any seed spices was frustrating, I love nutmeg.

But I did discover that my elbow pain subsided greatly after 5 days. Upon reintroduction of eggs, I discovered that they do cause inflammation. So while I haven't cut them out completely, they are no longer a staple food for me.

Is it tough, yes. But so is having excema. It's only 30 days, you can do it. I don't have a cookbook, but I just adapted recipes to fit my program. I also do low FODMAP, so I'm used to having to improvise.

Also, giving up coffee is not mandatory, it's merely suggested.

Thank you! That's really helpful. If I go ahead I intend to cook and prepare a few days before I start. I am quite happy to eat fish and veggies for breakfast. If coffee is ok , then I can cope with the rest! I only drink two cups a day anyway : )

• 2 weeks later...

I am now day 5 of my second Whole30. I read the autoimmune and the low histamine protocol and decided to do neither! I know there are good reasons behind the eliminations but I promised myself that I would never do any diet again that eliminated fruits or vegetables. My instinct tells me they are good for me! This time it is a LOT easier, partly as I know what I am doing and partly because my husband has joined me this time, he helps with the shopping and food prep. He LOVES it! He is fairly high carb with it as he is a triathlete, so hasn't had the energy slumps associated with lower carbs. I had to lie on the gym floor between sets yesterday, and went to karate and had forgotten half my kata ! I had let bad habits creep in prior to this, so I know it's just my body adjusting.

I have had the same experience on the Whole30. I am on day 26 and my psoriasis is a wreck and I haven't had any other real success either. I keep thinking about doing one of those more restrictive ones, but honestly, I just don't have it in me. I can't wait for this to be over as it is. No results, not worth it.

Hey Abigail, just a note...If what you posted in your other thread is what your food looked like for the last 26 days, I think your undereating almost definitely increased the stress that your body's under. I think if you follow the template for at least an additional week or two, I think you should see some improvements.

I'm sorry you didn't check in with us sooner to right the course!

Abigail, I sometimes think the whole30 hype gives us unrealistic expectations of what we can achieve. Thirty days is NOTHING really. I know I would go crazy on those strict protocols but I am getting benefits that have brought me back to do another 30 days. I may try eliminating some of the foods I suspect may be the culprit but skin conditions are a nightmare and it sounds like the whole30 stressed you, which of course impacts on your psoriasis. Maybe a more relaxed paleo / primal diet would suit you better? It's normal to feel really fed up if you feel you have made a lot of sacrifices with no reward. I felt like that but when I wrote down the benefits, I realised I got more out of this than I thought : )

• 2 weeks later...

Archived