Favourite way to prepare beets?

soconnor12

Hi all,

In an effort to eat a greater diversity of vegetables this week, I picked up some beets last night from my local supermarket (6 medium sized). I've never made beets before so this will be a first for me! What's everyone's favourite way to prepare them? I saw a delicious looking recipe on Nom Nom Paleo but am looking for other ideas as well. Thanks in advance!

I love roasting them and then peeling them and cutting into wedges when cooled. Then I sprinkle with sea salt, fresh ground pepper and a little balsamic or coconut vinegar. Or...toss in a pan with some ghee and heat them back up. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. You can also peel them with a vegetable peeler and then cut into wedges or leave whole before roasting. Yummy any way you go with.

I've discovered beet kvass - peel & roughly chop 1 large or 2 medium beets, put in a 2 quart mason jar, add 1tsp sea salt & top up with water. Cover with cheesecloth & leave at room temperature for 2-3 days, then strain the liquid & drink. The first time i tried it, it was horrible, but it kinda grows on you (& it's definitely better after a day or so in the fridge!). Full of good bacteria, a nice change of pace from sauerkraut & loads less hassle to make than kombucha!

I agree with all the roasted fans.

My (vegan- *sigh) friend shared this beet/coconut soup recipe with me this week and I can't wait to make it:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Beet-Ginger-and-Coconut-Milk-Soup-51188420

The plan is to use full fat coconut milk and leave out the julienned canned beet garnish (and of course not serve it with bread.)

Archived