Vision problems

Hi all,

My husband and I are in the middle of our Whole30. Both of us are doing well, with one exception. His eyesight has become worse in the time we started this to the point where he has to wear his reading glasses for everything now. This could be a coincidence but the timing and speed of his eyesight problems seems to refute that. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what we need to try? I should probably give some of his history in case there is a connection. Last week he was refused, on two efforts, to give blood for the first time due to low hemoglobin and he has been on blood pressure medication for a couple of years before this. Aside from those two things he stays in pretty good shape, doesn't own a car and rides a bike everywhere.

Thanks, Louann

It would be a really good idea for him to see a doctor with those symptoms. Doing a W30 can lead to lower blood pressure, so his medication may need to be changed. That's just one of many possibilities.

We're not doctors and for something that affects vision etc. that's who you need.

• Moderators

Kayell is right. He should see a doctor. My eyesight has improved over the past two years that I have been eating like this. My recent prescription for glasses is weaker than the one before. I actually take my glasses off to read in bed now.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

I have a husband that experienced the same thing! I'm lucky that I'm an Optician and was able to talk to the Optometrist in my office about this. I'll try to use normal terms to explain, without industry 'lingo' but please forgive me if something slips in there.

Basically when you have continued elevated blood sugar, your crystalline lens will swell causing it to not be able to focus like it used to. Generally this causes blurred distance vision (myopia- which is corrected with a 'minus' lens). Most people are able to adapt to the change in prescription, as it changes slowly over time. As in the case with my husband (and possibly yours too) when your blood sugar drops back down to normal levels (from clean eating, for example) your crystalline lens goes back to it's normal size, but your brain is still used to adapting to your altered prescription. This leads to the opposite effect, which is blurred near vision (hyperopia - which is corrected by a 'plus' lens). Reading glasses are generally in the range of +(plus)1.00 to +3.00, which is why your husband is needing them more than ever now.

Luckily enough, my husbands symptoms only lasted about 4 or 5 days before his vision went back to normal; so things may have already improved for you & yours. But, as the above posters have already said, please go see an Optometrist whenever there is a sudden change in vision, as there are many different reasons for sudden vision change.

Sorry for the long-winded response; hope that helps someone :)

• 1 year later...

I was told I have cataracts in November. I'm 29 but my dad had them and from my understanding they are genetic. He said he wasn't too much older than me when he got them.

I haven't noticed any affects on my vision with the Whole30 and I'm having surgery on them in a month to get it corrected. After reading this I can't say that I'm not secretly hoping that the doctors are wrong and everything clears up in a month :D.

• 8 months later...

I went to the eye doctor this morning - I'm on Day 20 and suddenly couldn't see the computer or my phone or people's faces... alarming, to say the least! My doc confirmed that my vision was better than it was 2 years ago when I got my current eyeglass prescription. I'm a diabetic so he recommended that I get an a1c to check how my blood sugars have been doing overall but to me having my eyesight get better instead of steadily getting worse? That's borderline miraculous. :) Yet another perk from the whole 30 - yay! 

• 1 year later...

I'm noticing some serious red-eye and the beginning of a sty on my eye. This is Day 11, so I'm miffed by this change. By 8pm I'm exhausted and need sleep and my eyes are alarmingly red. I don't wear glasses. But I've noticed I'm not able to read things up close very well. Would love to hear if anyone else is having this experience?

• 11 months later...

Archived