Ghee, and other questionables!

Cathlana

So I know I know I can make my own Ghee! Later in the fall I may make my own from melting down some kerrygold or some local farm butter. 

However in the meantime, I have bought the grassfed organic ghee by pure indian foods. I love the idea that they raise the cows and milk them at the right times. 

http://www.amazon.com/Grassfed-Organic-Ghee-7-8-Oz/dp/B0032RPLSY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1379777417&sr=8-1&keywords=ghee

However, I have also bought purity farm organic ghee, and I hate to say it, I prefer the taste much more
http://www.amazon.com/Purity-Farm-Organic-Clarified-13-Ounce/dp/B0046IIPMW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1379777503&sr=8-2&keywords=ghee

From what I can tell the purity farm organic ghee does fit within the Whole30 program, but why would it taste so much better? Maybe it is just me?

I also was reading my Day 13 email, and it mentioned to avoid Paprika.... I was curious to why?  It's just peppers...

Thanks everyone! <3

Hi Cathlana!

Both of those ghees are perfectly fine!  The taste difference could be anything from the climate the cows live in to the cooking time and temperature.

Paprika is fine unless you are doing the Auto-immune or IBS protocol, which eliminates nightshade veggies and their corresponding spices

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the quick answer Robin! I was thinking about getting some vanilla when I order this and was wondering what the best one is? I've never used good pure vanilla. Also is there a benefit to getting it powdered?

Most vanilla extracts contain sugar and/or alcohol, making them non-compliant on a Whole30. Watch for sugar in vanilla powder.

I have a new stove so simmering isn't working for me right now. I'm afraid to try to clarify butter. So I think I'm going to order some Ghee that was recommended below. Can I use this like butter on sweet potatoes?

There are posts on this forum about making ghee using a slow cooker, if that interests you.  For what it's worth (probably less than the proverbial 2 cents ;-), I buy the Pure Indian Foods ghee, as well as the Primal Fat (ghee/coconut oil combo). 

I made clarified butter just for Whole30. I don't react to plain butter, but I decided to make it anyway as I was curious. It wasn't difficult, but it was a bit messy :-) I store it in the fridge (even though you don't have to) and get a mini strength training when trying to get pieces of it for cooking. It is really nice though and I need to try to make a hollandaise sauce now that I have it!

I made clarified butter just for Whole30. I don't react to plain butter, but I decided to make it anyway as I was curious. It wasn't difficult, but it was a bit messy :-) I store it in the fridge (even though you don't have to) and get a mini strength training when trying to get pieces of it for cooking. It is really nice though and I need to try to make a hollandaise sauce now that I have it!

I also refrigerate my homemade clarified butter.  I've used a few different brands for making it, and I find how tough it is to scoop out (once refrigerated) varies with the brand.  For the price, I like Organic Valley Unsalted Cultured Butter best. http://www.organicvalley.coop/products/butter/cultured/cultured-unsalted-1-lb-4-quarters/

• 8 months later...

Is organic Valley unsalted cultured butter whole 30?  I have been avoiding all butter and I can't stand the taste of the Purity Farms Organic clarified Ghee.  So I'm back to just using olive oil and coconut oil

No. I think GFChris means she uses the OV butter to make her ghee.  Butter itself has milk protein in it and is non compliant. 

Is organic Valley unsalted cultured butter whole 30?  I have been avoiding all butter and I can't stand the taste of the Purity Farms Organic clarified Ghee.  So I'm back to just using olive oil and coconut oil

No. I think GFChris means she uses the OV butter to make her ghee.  Butter itself has milk protein in it and is non compliant. 

Notetojenn is correct. Butter is not allowed on a Whole30.  You must clarify the butter in order to use it.  Organic Valley is one of the products I've used to make clarified butter.

• Moderators

I find my own clarified butter to be much tastier than the jars I was buying during my first Whole30. It's ridiculously easy to make.

In Well Fed 2, Melissa Joulwan has a great recipe that incorporates spices into the clarified butter, adding wonderful flavor (and prolonging shelf life).

Nom Nom Paleo Food for Humans cookbook also has a similar recipe called Niter Kibbeh. Yum!

Archived