Reed's Kombucha (Lemon Ginger Raspberry)

kaymcsee

In reading Whole 30 blogs, I saw that Kombucha was on the "approved" list as long as you read your labels--no added sugar. From what I understand, the "no added sugar" part is AFTER fermentation. My question stems more from reading the label than anything. The ingredients list says: "Freshly made frmo: Raw organic Kombucha (spring water, organic sugar, organic oolong tea, organic yerba mate tea), organic fresh ginger root, organic raspberry juice, organic raspberry puree, organic lemon juice. FREE of preservatives and Gluten!" Does this mean the sugar was before fermentation? Or is it best to skip out on this brand? I'm on Day One, any help would be great!

I think you might have to re-think your 'bouch. Not to argue, but there is fruit juice added after ferment and there is 11gms sugar per serving, and there is 1.6 servings per bottle. Might be too much sugar for whole 30. Have you tried GT's? The non fruit juice ones have 7 gms of sugar and only 2gms per serving. I remember reading that was the level of sugar that was preferred. Maybe a mod would chime in?

Edited to add--my mistake--I was under the impression that the lower the sugar the better and I could have sworn that I had read last summer--summer 2012--that the GT with out the added fruit juices/purees was the way to go with the lower sugar.

I started making my own this summer and really love it.  So far my favorite is once it's ready I put a bunch of freshly chopped ginger into a container and add the kombucha too it.  Let it sit for a coupld of days and voila, super delishiousness!

I learned early on that it was Whole30 vetted, but does anyone know when and how to drink it.  I've been assuming that I should only drink it during meals.  Please advise.

Spin- there is no official "rule" on g per serving of sugar in compliant kombucha.

Might the lower sugar ones be a better choice? Yeah, but I wouldn't pass up a Guava Goddess (one of the sweeter GT Dave's varieties) :)

Me neither...which I'm drinking now in fact. I always buy the fruit juice sweetened ones...it's only 5% of the total content.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived