Sauerkraut

NazzaB

If you're buying it, it needs to be bought from a refrigerated section. If it's just on a shelf, it has been pasteurised and contains none of the good stuff. I'm not sure where you are, but in wa I could get a locally made product from a few health food shops/grocers if I wanted to pay over $10 for a tini jar!

It is easy to make, but takes a while as you need to let it sit and develop (I did mine for a month)...I don't have access to the recipe i used, but there are plenty of recipes out there. I think there may even be a thread on this forum about making it :)

Dang, I definitely don't want to wait for a month.

I'm in Melbourne. I'll have a look around my local health food stores and maybe asian grocers? There's heaps of places to buy fresh and exotic produce around here so I'll just have to keep my eyes open. My fiancee buys tinned sauerkraut from the supermarket but I suspected that was a no-no! I would love to make some corned beef with sauerkraut and mayonnaise! Mmmmm.

This one seemed easy, and promised that it's edible in three days (though gets better with time): http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-easy-homemade-sauerkraut-in-a-mason-jar-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-193124

My sister loves it. I don't. Or rather, I'm being suspicious :-) Perhaps I could try making it and feed it to her if I hate it. I'm generous like that :-P

• 1 month later...

One brand I've heard of in Melbourne (but never seen) is Peave, Love & Vegetables - live cultures. I just get the un-alive version for now, until I have a crack at making my own.

Making your own isn't hard :) I need to make more - I refuse to pay $15 for a 500 or 600ml sized jar of a brand that's available here.

Here is an easy recipe from Hippocrates Health Institute:

Hippocrates Sauerkraut

1 head red cabbage, shredded

1/2 apple, seeded

Kombu seaweed, soaked, as needed

Outer cabbage leaves, as needed

Place half of the shredded cabbage in a ceramic or glass container. Press down firmly. Place the apple in the center of the cabbage. Place the remaining 1/2 of the shredded cabbage on top, always pressing it down firmly. Cover the top of the cabbage with a layer of hydrated kombu seaweed. On top of the kombu, place a layer of cabbage leaves. Place a heavy weight on top of the cabbage leaves, making sure that the entire container is covered so that no foreign matter can enter the kraut.

The cabbage will begin to foam and bubble as a result of the fermentation process. Leave out at room temperature. After 3-5 days (when ready), discard the cabbage leaves, kombu and apple from in the middle. Place the sauerkraut in a container for storage and refrigerate.

Is it refrigerated, or just on the shelf?

Nope - but it's $2 vs $6 for a smaller jar that's "live". Sometimes cost wins out. That said, I have had both and though I'm sure that the live stuff is better for my gut - they both taste great and neither of them cause me any digestive distress the way that cooked cabbage does.

Nope - but it's $2 vs $6 for a smaller jar that's "live". Sometimes cost wins out. That said, I have had both and though I'm sure that the live stuff is better for my gut - they both taste great and neither of them cause me any digestive distress the way that cooked cabbage does.

The live stuff is better as it has the probiotic properties that help your gut. This isn't in the cheaper version - they still both taste great :) some people eat it specifically for the health benefits, so in that circumstance, buying the live product is essential.

Here is an easy recipe from Hippocrates Health Institute:

Hippocrates Sauerkraut

1 head red cabbage, shredded

1/2 apple, seeded

Kombu seaweed, soaked, as needed

Outer cabbage leaves, as needed

Place half of the shredded cabbage in a ceramic or glass container. Press down firmly. Place the apple in the center of the cabbage. Place the remaining 1/2 of the shredded cabbage on top, always pressing it down firmly. Cover the top of the cabbage with a layer of hydrated kombu seaweed. On top of the kombu, place a layer of cabbage leaves. Place a heavy weight on top of the cabbage leaves, making sure that the entire container is covered so that no foreign matter can enter the kraut.

The cabbage will begin to foam and bubble as a result of the fermentation process. Leave out at room temperature. After 3-5 days (when ready), discard the cabbage leaves, kombu and apple from in the middle. Place the sauerkraut in a container for storage and refrigerate.

I read that it should be left for about 4 weeks, and that you needed to massage the cabbage with sea salt to get the liquid to release...

You can get away without massaging the cabbage - the method i use i shred the cabbage, mix it with salt with a big spoon, then cover the bowl with a towel for 30 mins. Then mix it a bit more, stuff as much as poss into jars, then cover jars & bowl with towels again for another 30 mins. Then squidge the rest into the jars. It can be ready after a week, but i like to leave it at least 3 weeks for top krautiness ;)

• 1 month later...

I took the plunge and made four pint jars of kraut today -- we'll see how they taste in about a week.  Hopefully I don't poison my whole family.  :)

I explored a bunch of recipes and decided to try to copy my favorite brand (Wildbrine, not available in the hinterlands of Louisiana). 

I took one head of red cabbage, sliced it, and divided it between two big bowls.  In one bowl, I put a grated green apple, half a thinly sliced onion, a pinch of caraway seeds, and some juniper berries.  In the other, I put a grated pear, a grated beet, a grated thumb-sized piece of ginger, and 1 tsp of cardamom.  I then tossed both bowls with 1.5 tbs of pickling salt.  After about a half hour of sitting, I massaged the cabbage until it started releasing water.  Then I shoved it into four pint jars (two jars per batch), put a leaf over it, and added a little brine to top off the jars.  Then I weighted each jar down with pinch bowls and set them in the corner of my kitchen.

Again, hopefully I don't poison everyone when it's time to try the kraut.  :)  It was surprisingly theraputic, though, squishing all that cabbage.

Archived