Why do I want to 'cheat' just as I'm getting results?

lexes42

I know there is a name for this syndrome somewhere.... When I start to see results... or have had good results for a bit.... the sugar dragon starts to whisper in my ear... no, really... this IS special.....(when it's just not).

Even though I have proven to myself that I look and feel better without sugar, gluten and dairy....inevitably on the days when I think... I've got this!  Look how loose my pants are!  Are the same days I start to obsess about apple pie.  Or a small chocolate truffle... or whatever!

As I read through this forum I am always astounded how powerful the psychological effects of our 'food conditioning' is!

I know the feeling. "Oh, look, I've been really healthy this whole week! Now let's celebrate with a bottle of wine!"

I feel (I don't know, I just have a feeling), that at least in my case it's part old habits (feeling good and being happy equals consuming food and wine) and part being afraid of succeeding. Being happy, feeling loved, being in control and being successful are actually quite scary situations. It's actually quite common for people to sabotage themselves at the brink of success.

So yeah, you're not alone in that :-)

Because you see the results, you think a small bit of "X" won't hurt? And if you have it once, surely you can have it again and it won't make any difference then either? But then it snowballs in to "X" every day, plus "Y", then "Z", and before you know it you're back to square one?

I've been there....and justified those things to myself so many times! Now I know I don't need it, don't actually want it, and it's not going to help me feel good about myself!

You are not alone! This is my biggest obstacle, would live to figure out how to change his thinking. Just joined a whole100 group. Maybe more time is needed to make new positive habits that will fight the self sabotage! Any suggestions are welcome!

• 6 months later...

You are not alone! This is my biggest obstacle, would live to figure out how to change his thinking. Just joined a whole100 group. Maybe more time is needed to make new positive habits that will fight the self sabotage! Any suggestions are welcome!

Where can I find a whole100 group?

I do this too!  I think for me it's 2 things: a reward for a "job well done" and self-sabotage "I've done so well, what if I can't maintain it?  I have a little of X and stop... See I have self-control" Only, at that point it's not habit and I don't have the self-control.

I am trying to find non- food rewards for my self and I have made a small list:

1) get a massage!!

2) Manicure or pedicure (now I know why all the skinny girls do this all the time! I though I they were just princesses!)

3) take a hot bath in epsom salts

4) Go to the beach and watch the ocean (I live 25 mins from the beach)

That is all I have come up with but there must be more.

Archived